Drive upgrade... copying... waiting

Posted by: robricc

Drive upgrade... copying... waiting - 06/12/2001 20:41

Copying is taking forever. I think the Empeg has the same transfer rate as the MFM drive out of my old XT. Anyway... When I removed the IBM drive that came with the Empeg, it was physically making a noise as I moved it. When I turn it upside down, it sounds like something is loose inside the drive. Luckily the drive seems to be working as I am copying from the old drive to the new (30GB Fujitsu from compgeeks) as I'm typing this.

I can't imagine this is normal as I have owned laptops with IBM drives and would have noticed that. If the drive is bad, can I send it back to IBM like you would with a regular IDE drive?

While I'm waiting I uploaded some images:
http://spmicro.com/gallery/empegdrive
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Drive upgrade... copying... waiting - 06/12/2001 22:12

The rattle you're hearing in the IBM drive is normal. As a matter of fact, all new laptop drive's I've ever held have a rattle: IBM 10 & 30GB, Toshiba 6, 15, 20GB, Fujitsu 10 & 15GB.

Tony just posted a note to someone about this very thing. He mentioned one of his drives actually had a printed disclaimer about this.

Bruno

Re: Drive upgrade... copying... waiting - 06/12/2001 22:52

The rattle you're hearing in the IBM drive is normal.

OK, this is good to know. At 12:51am, the job is finally done. The FAQ is very good. Thanks Tony.

Click for photos
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Drive upgrade... copying... waiting - 07/12/2001 01:24

Cool, glad all is well. I will update the FAQ with those two notes (copy time and rattle).
Posted by: smu

Re: Drive upgrade... copying... waiting - 07/12/2001 10:52

I think the Empeg has the same transfer rate as the MFM drive out of my old XT.

Sure

If you confuse MB/sec with KB/sec.

Or at least something along those lines.

cu,
sven

Re: Drive upgrade... copying... waiting - 07/12/2001 11:39

If you confuse MB/sec with KB/sec.

It's a joke. Maybe it didn't come through like that.