Pioneer MP-CD

Posted by: andym

Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 02:57

I was just having a browse through a car stereo website after buying my CD-SR80 and noticed a 'new' Pioneer mp3 cd player. What was even more interesting was the visual shown on the headunit display.

http://www.incar-discount.co.uk/acatalog/DEH-P7400MPlg.jpg

It definitely has more than a passing resemblance to an empeg visual (I'm sure you can guess which one!). I wonder if Toby is getting his cut of the takings on this one?

Cheers,

Andy M
Posted by: altman

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 11:48

Pioneer have had similar VU visuals for a while - since the first OEL display units. Can't remember if this was before or after the first empeg-car VU visual though!

Hugo
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 13:57

Hey, speaking of VU meters, anyone one a replacement for /empeg/lib/visuals/vuback.raw?

One is attached. Toby, if you like it, you can have it for use on the official player software.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 14:04

I'd like to see a better image of that visual. This picture from Crutchfield's site suggests the pixels on that display are huge. This screen looks inferior to their other products.
Posted by: loren

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 14:16

Tony, could you post a jpg of it? I wanna see if i should do some rawwrittin' =]

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 14:47

Tony, could you post a jpg of it?

No.

But I will post a .gif of it.

Posted by: svferris

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 15:03

Ok, so how long before we have a modified VU visual with this style meter?

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 15:36

Ok, so how long before we have a modified VU visual with this style meter?

As long as it takes you to upload this file to your player as /empeg/lib/visuals/vuback.raw. That was what I was talking about.... Did you miss that post?
Posted by: muzza

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 15:41

can you make it go to eleven for that extra bit of headroom?

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 15:45

Then it wouldn't be a "VU" meter, it would be a "St Hubbins" meter.

Do a BBS Search on "RAWerter" and created your own meters. It's fun!

Edit: (Sorry, got the characters backwards. That would actually be a "Tufnel Meter".)
Posted by: svferris

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 15:46

That's what I get for trying to scan the board quicker...

I second the vote for going to 11.

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 19:18

I updated the VU meter graphic a bit today. The new .RAW file is attached to this message. Next mesasge I will post a screen shot of it.

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 19:18

Here's the screen shot of the updated VU meter from the previous message. I think it's a little better.

Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 22:33

Thanks for putting the letters "L" and "R" under the meters. I didn't think it was intuitive enough to have each meter on its corresponding side.

BTW, will the meter still work if I remove the screws (on the corners) holding it onto the empeg's VFD?

Bruno

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 22:56

and here's a pic of in in action. Sweet! Thanks Tony. Hrmm... what other interesting things could ya put behind two moving needles......
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 04/02/2002 23:44

Probably a couple of junkies, but my empeg's not that kind of player.

BTW, that's a nice stand you have for your empeg.

Bruno
Posted by: prolux

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 05/02/2002 04:25

Tony, very nice as usual from you.

My only slight dislike is the numbers. I have tried very hard to make the entire visuals library technically correct, and therefore numbers are not included where they are not meaningful (and of the correct value).

Maybe the numbers are meaningful?

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 05/02/2002 11:17

Maybe the numbers are meaningful?

You are right, the numbers are not meaningful. I was going by a photograph of an old VU meter. An actual "VU-looking" meter would never be numerically accurate in an empeg visual because 0db is the top of the scale, but real VU meters will show over-clipping.

If anyone has an idea of how the numbers should really be displayed, I would welcome suggestions and make the necessary edits.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 05/02/2002 11:27

How do you upload it to the player?

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 05/02/2002 11:56

FTP it to /empeg/lib/visuals/vuback.raw
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 05/02/2002 12:44

You could calibrate AnnaVue using several 'syntethic' MP3s containing sinewaves (or, even better, noise) of known amplitude. (Or Toby could just tell us ).
Posted by: muzza

Re: Pioneer MP-CD - 05/02/2002 14:43

Well technically, having 0 at the top would be correct for a digital meter. Analog VUs have a certain amount of headroom which represents the saturation of the recording tape. All digital mixing desks are 0 at the top. There is a 'nominal' position at around -10dB to allow for peaks.

Having 0 at the top would be fine IMO.