South Africa - Tourism

Posted by: blitz

South Africa - Tourism - 10/05/2002 06:22

I have read South Africa is stable in the post-Apartheid environment. Has anyone been there in the last 12 months or so? Interested in going to the Northern Province (offset to Kruger Park). I understand travel is down considerably in South Africa but have also heard that with a guide it is ~ safe.

Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: South Africa - Tourism - 10/05/2002 07:31

i went to durban a couple of years back it felt like a war zone, it is not what i would call totally safe.

It is dodgey but so are some parts of the states

but nigeria still wins the won't get of the ship unless it sinks award
Posted by: altman

Re: South Africa - Tourism - 11/05/2002 04:47

I've heard more recent reports that Durban is still a place you need to watch yourself, a friend had their (rental) car carjacked at gunpoint in a bad area and had to walk back to the rental place - through the aforementioned bad area.

The rental place were a bit funny about him loosing the car. They didn't seem to accept that if someone pointed a gun at him that he'd just give them whatever they wanted...

Jo'burg is allegedly much better though.

Hugo
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: South Africa - Tourism - 11/05/2002 17:21

According to a former colleague of mine who was born & lived in SA (not sure where mind you) until his late teens....

"When dealing with Carjackers [holding guns], it makes absolutely no difference to them whether they have to shoot you or not to get your car." (sic).