Quick Network Question

Posted by: Dignan

Quick Network Question - 10/05/2002 16:35

My dad and I got the Linksys wireless router and a USB NAC for my computer.

There is one thing that the installation instructions neglect to tell us:

What kind of ethernet cables do we use?

Right now we have a cable from the cable modem to a card on my dad's PC. What kind is that? We have that cable and a crossover, but I don't know if a crossover is the kind we need.

So basically, we need two cables, we have two cables, but we're not sure if we have the right cables. Any help?
Posted by: robricc

Re: Quick Network Question - 10/05/2002 16:42

If you're going from the cable modem into the router, you likely need a straight thru cable. If your dads machine is going to hook up to the router, that would also require a straight cable.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Quick Network Question - 10/05/2002 16:47

So what is the cable that is currently connected from the PC to the modem?

Do you need a crossover to connect a PC to the empeg?
Posted by: robricc

Re: Quick Network Question - 10/05/2002 16:56

The cable going from the modem to the PC is likely straight. This has been the same on every cable modem and DSL modem I've dealt with.

Yes, empeg requires a crossover when going from empeg to PC.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Quick Network Question - 10/05/2002 18:44

I'd say just try the cables and use whatever works. If you use the wrong kind of cable, it won't blow anything up, it just won't work. I don't think you'll even get a Link light (although I'm not certain about that last one).

Something to remember about ethernet cables...

All connections between devices require a crossover (TX and RX swapped). It's just that most hubs have all of their ports already crossed-over at the hub ports themselves.

(Except for one port which is usually either switch-selectable or fixed as straight-thru, for the purpose of uplinking to another hub.)

So the most common connection (PC to hub) is a straight cable. But for most other connections, a crossover is needed unless they've designed the device with a switchable port or it's already crossed at the port.

Clear as mud?