Karma- runs Linux?

Posted by: siberia37

Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 10:41

Maybe this was already answered somewhere but I couldn't find it. Does the Karma run Linux under the hood like the Empeg does? Or is Karma a more strict embedded system with no multi-purpose capabilities- like every other portable player.
Posted by: peter

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 10:43

Maybe this was already answered somewhere but I couldn't find it. Does the Karma run Linux under the hood like the Empeg does? Or is Karma a more strict embedded system with no multi-purpose capabilities- like every other portable player.
Definitely the latter. You're unlikely to find a WMA DRM-capable player that has multi-purpose capabilities.

Peter
Posted by: siberia37

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 10:44

That's a shame- but expected considered the tigher pricing and design specs for a portable player.
Posted by: DLF

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 10:55

a WMA DRM-capable player

{May be about to expose my ignorance, but}
so you can transfer to Karma and play the WM9 Series DRM stuff? Or just stuff with the v6/v7 flavor of DRM? Or the player firmware just doesn't care at all?
Posted by: andy

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 11:48

I think they just got fed up making Linux work in a realtime enviroment. The guys did a great job with the empeg, but it's not as if Linux was ever designed to run something like the empeg/Karma. It is a miracle they managed as good a jobs as they did with empeg/Linux.

With the Karma they are using ecos, which was designed from the start to be a realtime OS.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 12:07

I am not certain it was the real time nature as the embedded systems environment. Don't forget, the empeg is not as power limited as a portable player would be.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 15:07

>I think they just got fed up making Linux work in a realtime enviroment.

Actually, I did ask Hugo and Rob about that when I was visiting, and they basically said they'd love to have used Linux, but due to the MS DRM constraints they couldn't open source it. So they had to find a different OS platform to use, and Hugo said he'd really have prefered Linux over that one (for various reasons).

So it's not a lack of Linux capability at all here, just DRM concerns.

Rob & Hugo are welcome to correct me if I've misunderstood any of that.

Cheers
Posted by: image

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 15:14

i dont understand what the problem could be... the player from my understanding is from the same tree as v3 on the empeg, which if i recall correctly, is going to be module based, right? so shouldnt that mean that while the player/kernel/os is open source on the karma, the modules that have DRM could stay closed.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 15:19

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice if MS let you do that.
Posted by: image

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 15:25

happens all the time, in principle at least. MS hasn't gone ahead and restricted wine/winex use of their dll libraries. No permission required, on the assumption that you really own the license for the windows product.

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 20/08/2003 17:41

I believe there's good concern that someone like me might hack a backdoor into a driver to extract PCM audio samples as DRM content is played back.

Not that audiograbber doesn't already do that on Windows!

Cheers
Posted by: rob

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 21/08/2003 08:32

So it's not a lack of Linux capability at all here, just DRM concerns.

Well, that and the fact there's no MMU so speak of!

Rob

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 21/08/2003 08:46

That's why ucLinux exists!
Posted by: julf

Re: Karma- runs Linux? - 21/08/2003 11:28

That's why ucLinux exists!

I was actually going to ask about ucLinux in Amersfoort. Decided to leave the question until later, over a few drinks. Unfortunately Alzheimers set in...