Asian Language Tag Information

Posted by: KungFuCow

Asian Language Tag Information - 09/01/2004 21:26

Someone interested in buying one of my Karmas asked about asian language tag display. Anyone know if the Karma supports anything like that or will the tags show up as jibberish?
Posted by: peter

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 10/01/2004 05:14

Someone interested in buying one of my Karmas asked about asian language tag display. Anyone know if the Karma supports anything like that or will the tags show up as jibberish?
Any Asian language in particular? The only one we support is Japanese.

Peter
Posted by: m6400

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 10/01/2004 06:49

I might be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure that most asian languages use the same characters. There is simplified and traditional, but that is the only deviation.

I'll check w/my friend from Tiawan but I'm pretty sure that is right.
Posted by: tman

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 10/01/2004 07:03

Nope. There are differences between them. An example would be Japanese characters, Chinese people can recognise most of them but not all of them.
Posted by: peter

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 10/01/2004 07:32

I might be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure that most asian languages use the same characters. There is simplified and traditional, but that is the only deviation.
Asia is quite a big place and is famous for having lots of languages. None of the Indian scripts, for instance, have any glyphs in common with the Hanzi/Kanji ideographs used in Chinese and Japanese.

The reason I say Karma only supports Japanese and not Chinese, despite the commonality of lots of the glyphs, is that its fonts don't have every character going -- they have a subset, and a subset (JIS X 0208) chosen specifically to include the most common Japanese characters. Some very common Chinese characters, not used in Japan, are absent.

Peter
Posted by: m6400

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 10/01/2004 20:42

I stand corrected. I'd kinda forgotten about India and all that. I was mainly thinking Chinnese and Japanise. And I knew there were a few differences, but as I understood it they were mostly little used ones that didn't matter so much.
Posted by: webroach

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 10/01/2004 23:47

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but is there any chance of this ever being available for the empeg? At least the MkIIa (since peter mentioned there being the memory issue)? In a totally unsupported manner? For those of us who really don't want to have to retag 1000's of MP3s from kanji to romaji?
Posted by: Yonzie

OT: Jap empeg - 12/01/2004 09:34

x2 to Japanese for the Empeg - however unsupported it may be.
Posted by: bbowman

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 20/01/2004 14:42

Yep, there are more - Vietnamese looks kinda like ours, but requires the additional tonal marks. as well as a few more characters like u' and o'. Laos characters are totally different (seeming a little bit like Hindi writing).
Posted by: rob

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 22/01/2004 18:48

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but is there any chance of this ever being available for the empeg

The Kanji font is commercial (and *bloody* expensive) so that could be problematic. In theory we can use it in other Rio products, but we would probably have to protect it in some way. Also, we may not have the particular sizes used by the car player.

Putting in support using a freeware Kanji font is more likely.

Rob
Posted by: cushman

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 22/01/2004 20:18

And Cambodian and Thai are both different than all mentioned.

Yes, I have some Cambodian tracks, but they are phonetically spelled in a US charset.

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 23/01/2004 01:57

and *bloody* expensive

Tell me about it. I've actually seen a disc with only 6 fonts. $1600US. Now granted, that was pretty much every kanji you'll ever use, and then some. But still.

There are freeware fonts at 8pt, but I believe Roger mentioned the lack of the 6pt version being the issue...

Other than figuring out how to do kanji in 6pt, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

And thanks for even thinking about it!
Posted by: Roger

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 23/01/2004 03:32

but I believe Roger mentioned the lack of the 6pt version being the issue

That was Peter, but it's no less a valid point for that .

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 08/02/2004 03:42

*bump*

Ok, it's finally time for me to break down and get a portable. Trips to the gym are getting pretty bad, what with the "Girl I wanna smooth you up and down" music playing over the speakers all the time.

The $1M question: Does the Eigen support Japanese tags? By this I mean the U.S. version. I know for a fact the Japanese version does, but it isn't on sale right now (which the U.S. version is) and the shipping is more.

If not, no problem. I'll just get the import model.
Posted by: rob

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 08/02/2004 16:49

Yes, all versions include Kanji.

Rob

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 08/02/2004 17:22

WOOHOO! Happy happy and now on it's way!

Re: Asian Language Tag Information - 14/02/2004 19:10

Ok, so right after I ordered the Eigen, I found a better price on the Nitrus ($130 after a $20 rebate), so I cancelled the Eigen order. Nitrus should be here Monday, and I have a question:

Where do I get the case in this picture?!?!?!?!

Another pic...