Kamikaze Karma

Posted by: tahir

Kamikaze Karma - 14/03/2004 06:25

Well just to add to my list of woes since I got Karma'd the little bugger just jumped out of my hand onto the pavement, the power switch doesn't work any more and the RioStick's a bit iffy Is it bad to send it back to Amazon?
Posted by: brendanhoar

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 14/03/2004 15:49

I have a similar q: mine seems to be defective as I'm getting heavy buzzing on the left channel.

Considering I threw away the plastic container, but that I kept all the paperwork (and most of the cardboard) and it's been < 30 days, will I have better luck exchanging it via Amazon, or RMAing it?

EDIT: crap, I bought it from another online merchant. Anyway, for the general case, if I bought it online, and it's defective, is return/replace via the merchant a better way to go than RMA?

-brendan
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 14/03/2004 18:40

When mine died and was less than 30 days old Rio told me I had to exchange it. I got mine from Amazon and they were very nice about exchanging it. They sent me the replacement first and a prepaid return label (which I didn't use).
Posted by: altman

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 15/03/2004 12:25

If you've physically damaged the unit (and it's obvious) I suspect that the vendor isn't going to buy the explaination that it beat itself up. Warranties don't cover dropping things - that's the job of insurance

Hugo

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 15/03/2004 12:38

If you've physically damaged the unit (and it's obvious) I suspect that the vendor isn't going to buy the explaination that it beat itself up. Warranties don't cover dropping things - that's the job of insurance

Hugo

I'd say it's fairly obvious, so my first ever insurance claim coming up. Before I do, is it worth taking it apart? The power button doesn't work and some of the RioStick functions are messed up, I have to push right to pause. The case isn't cracked or anything just a couple of digs in it.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 15/03/2004 12:49

The controls are probably surface-mount soldered, so the loose volume knob means it's detached from the circuit board and is just dangling around bumping into random stuff.. not good -- could short circuit something else and really fry things.

Cheers

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 16/03/2004 13:33

It might not be that bad to fix, I've not seen a joystick that's come off the PCB yet.

Personally, I'd take it apart but be very careful when taking the main board out of the front side of the case - it's incredibly easy to break the hold switch when doing this. Oh, and you need to pull the front glass off the unit after removing the handle, as there's a screw under here that holds the top right quarter of the player on.

YMMV, obviously!

Hugo

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 17/03/2004 05:01

Thanks for that Hugo, I might try it as my insurance excess is £ 250.00 and I only paid £ 270.00 for the Karma. By the way what does YMMV mean?
Posted by: andy

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 17/03/2004 05:04

Your Mileage May Vary

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 17/03/2004 05:10

Thanks Andy

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 21/03/2004 02:50

OK I took it apart Friday night, the power switch has come off the PCB, I fixed it back on with superglue which worked except the switch is now jammed solid, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Thanks

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 23/03/2004 04:23

Anybody? If I can't find another power switch then it's pretty much useless to me so if anyone in the UK wants it for spares PM me and I'll mail it to you.
Posted by: andym

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 23/03/2004 15:38

You have a PM....

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 29/03/2004 00:47

If you send it to me in Cambridge, I can probably fix it. There are enough early Karma PCBs around for me to nab some parts off...

Hugo

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 07/04/2004 07:36

If you send it to me in Cambridge, I can probably fix it. There are enough early Karma PCBs around for me to nab some parts off...

Hugo

Thanks Hugo it's back in action

Posted by: tfabris

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 07/04/2004 10:21

Hugo is da man.

Re: Kamikaze Karma - 07/04/2004 10:54

Hugo is da man.

Not half