Sleep function

Posted by: tahir

Sleep function - 10/09/2004 11:54

Am I incredibly dense or is there no sleep function on the Karma?
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 12:07

Sleep function? There is a power saving timer, but that will shut down the player after x minutes. There is a display saving feature to turn off backlighting as well. There is (to my knowledge) no "hot standby" sleep function that would allow "instant on".

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 12:30

The iPod has one, you set it to play for x minutes before turning itself off, useful on holiday.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 12:36

Quote:
There is a power saving timer, but that will shut down the player after x minutes.

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 12:58

Quote:
There is a power saving timer, but that will shut down the player after x minutes.

I noticed that but it says "Auto Standby after x minutes of no activity", that's not going to help me

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 15:07

Why not? Set a non-repeating playlist of the length that you desire...

Admittedly, it's not as flexible as what you really want, for instance, it relies on you having playlists of suitable lengths, and you can't easily use it with a random shuffle of a large playlist. (You could by skipping _lots_ of tracks ). But it should kinda work.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 15:23

doesn't "after x minutes of no activity" simply mean "after you haven't pressed a button for x minutes?"

In that case, doesn't it do exactly what he wants?

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 15:27

I was wondering about that. The manual doesn't make it clear, and alas, I don't have a Karma to test on.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 15:37

No, it doesn't seem to mean that.

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 15:58

Okay, then what does it mean?

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:07

Quote:
doesn't "after x minutes of no activity" simply mean "after you haven't pressed a button for x minutes?"

Unfortunately not, I've just tried and it look's like playing is assumed as an activity because it hasn't powered down. So come on guys give us a sleep function (please )
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:17

Tony - On the Carbon it seems to mean that after X minutes, with the player _not_ playing and no button presses, shut down. I'd also like a sleep timer for the Carbon. When I'm not travelling I mostly use it when falling asleep.

-Zeke
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:21

What about the RioDJ functions - for timed playlists and playback? Would that help?

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:25

Quote:
What about the RioDJ functions - for timed playlists and playback? Would that help?

Huh? I didn't know they existed, looked briefly at RioDJ can't see anything about timed playback, but like I said I'm quite dense

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:27

Oh yeah, I see but it doesn't seem to let me select a playlist to play for x minutes.

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:43

Quote:
it look's like playing is assumed as an activity

Is it me, or does that seem just silly? I mean, what's the point of the feature, then?
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 16:50

I would guess so that when your shortish playist is over, the thing shuts down to save battery.

We empeg users never play shortish lists, though...

-jk
Posted by: oliver

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 17:27

Quote:

... can't see anything about timed playback ...

Do a RioDJ -> Entertain Me -> For X amount of time.

I think that might help you out a bit....
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Sleep function - 10/09/2004 18:40

That certainly should work on the Karma. Carbon doesn't have this feature, sadly.

-Zeke