rebooting empeg :(

Posted by: fbleagh

rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 17:43

I grabbed filters new album yesterday and was listening to it on the way home, when my empeg spontaneously rebooted.
It did this quite a few times, mostly have a large bass passages.

my setup isn't extravagnat by any means.
Empeg --> 50W x 4 channel amp --> 2 4" drivers inthe front and 2 6.5" in the rear.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how i fix it ?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 19:14

Plug the empeg in at home and play those tracks. Maybe the mp3s are bad somehow and causing the player to screw up.

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 19:23

If i turn the volume down it doesn't reboot.

the only thing i can think of is that the sense lead on the amp is not isolated and my amp is trying to draw more current down the sense lead ?

i can play the album all the way through at low volume with np's

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 19:28

Maybe you have the signal and power leads to your amp swapped so that the amp is trying to draw its power through the empeg instead of straight from your power source (battery? I forget).

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 19:53

nothing so simple i suspect
i would ahve blown the fuse in my empeg if i had done that.

any other things u can think of ?
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 19:57

Maybe that your alternator can't handle your amp? I realize that's not a big amp, but maybe your alternator or battery is going bad... Does the player display the low voltage icon before it reboots or anything? Can you try puting a capacitor before your amp to see if it's drawing too much current on the low bass notes?

Matthew

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 19:58

It's been reported before....

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 13/08/2002 20:28

Yeah it did display the battery signal.

I will try and pick up a capacitor to try, any suggestions on the size i would need ? .5 farad ?

Posted by: F0X

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 14/08/2002 05:13

I think the general rule of thumb is 1 farad / 1000 Watts. So if you just have the 4 channel amp, then 0.5 farad should be good.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: rebooting empeg :( - 14/08/2002 09:05

Fbleagh, please read this, it covers your problem exactly and it is very specific.