Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall

Posted by: thermasilk

Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 10:20

?: For my ethernet card to comply with the Empeg player, I was told to "just" add this IPX/SPX Microsoft protocall...
(Running: Windows 98)

After the installation is complete, I am asked for my Window's 98 CD that contain's this information. I hit cancel, and the protocall remain's unconfigured. (No help from the Microsoft home page)

- Once again, this player reveal's the throbing vain on my forehead...

Thank you all, just for your concern,
- Justin
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 10:30

I don't know who told you that, but what you need to add is TCP/IP, not IPX/SPX. I'm sure there's a good FAQ entry tony will point you to momentarily.

Matthew
Posted by: robricc

Re: Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 11:09

Tony must be recharging. Here is the FAQ entry about ethernet.
Posted by: TommyE

Re: Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 13:28

You will also most likely need the Win98 CD with the source files in your CD drive when you add protocols. The source files for Win98, also called *.cab files can be stored on your harddrive too. Anyway you will need the source files, you cannot just hit cancel.

TommyE
Posted by: Crapaddict

Re: Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 13:50

In reply to:

Tony must be recharging. Here is the FAQ entry about ethernet.

I searched the faq aswell, and I also found this entry.
It doesn't mension anything about the protocols you should use, however.
I think it's save to say that you don't need IPX/SPX, TCP/IP is the protocol to use.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 13:55

Well, when it goes into talking about static IP addresses, that would immediately indicate that TCP/IP is involved. Also, NetBUI or IPX/SPX support on the empeg makes little sense.

However, to a networking novice this may not be common sense. Perhaps there should be more detail about installing networking on Win 9x boxes?
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Can't Install: Microsoft IPX/SPX Protocall - 19/11/2002 20:11

Yeah, and if you jacked the protocol install, you may have to fuss around with removing all of the networking components completely (then restarting) then installing them again. 9x networking is a pain like that.