Strangeness on the Aux in....

Posted by: lopan

Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 03/01/2003 07:34

I noticed yesterday as I was driving home that when I switch to the aux input... I get some really strange behavior

First off theres nothing pluged into the aux in.... but when aux in is select the play/pause icon blinks alternating between the two with a distortion like noise (very low volume) coming on and off in sync with the blinking icons....

Is this a know issue? is something wrong with my player?

I do have the preinit scripts, empeg gps (along with a gps plugged into the serial) and the TTS clock running...
Posted by: edsmiata

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 03/01/2003 11:12

I used to get horrible ignition whine on my HU, especially with the AUX selected when there was nothing plugged into it. I also noticed that when the unit was running and I touched the RCA inputs for AUX the noise got MUCH worse. I then reinstalled another HU under the Rio using the AUX input jacks...and the noise totally disappeared!!

In summary, I would suspect that the AUX imput jacks are not grounded and are thus picking up some kind of electrical noise, which is then coming out through your system. I would recommend that you try to ground them if you can!

Ed

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 03/01/2003 11:19

well... normally I'd agree but the distortion comes on and off in exact increments 1second on with the play icon showing then 1second off with the pause icon showing.... I should also add that the distortion is more like white noise....

I'll give grounding a try but it seems a little weird that it would do that even with the engine off....
Posted by: lectric

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 06/01/2003 20:13

If it's happening with the engine OFF you must have wired the amps incorrectly. They shout NOT be on. If they stay on like that you'll drain your battery.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 06/01/2003 22:05

If it's happening with the engine OFF you must have wired the amps incorrectly.

That statement is incorrect. On a correctly wired system, it's possible to have the engine off, yet have the empeg wake up out of standby mode and activate the amplifier remote wire.

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 07/01/2003 07:01

True, but he says it's happening in sync with the blinking LED, therefore, the empeg must be off, no?

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 07/01/2003 07:02

DOH! Nevermind. I'm an ass, it's the play icon, not the LED, that he was talking about. Please ignore me.

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 07/01/2003 08:45

It's still happening but I don't use aux so I don't mind, my main concern is the health of the empeg.
Posted by: rtundo

Re: Strangeness on the Aux in.... - 08/01/2003 06:17

I noticed my player does the same thing when hooked to the car's dimmer line. PWM? Is it possible the capacitor fix might cure this?