Clock Controlled Dimmer?

Posted by: MinerTwoFour

Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 11:04

I could've sworn that I saw a post earlier regarding the process of controlling the dimmer with the unit's clock (i.e. At 6:00PM, the display dims, between 6:00AM and 6:00PM, it is at 100%). I've searched using about every query combination, with no luck.

I'm asking, because I drive with my headlights on at all times, and I was wondering if I could remove the illumination wire and have the unit control the dimming by what time it is.

If anyone has any news on that, or knows the location of the previous post, I would appreciate it.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 12:05

Did we also (once upon a time) talk about putting a photosensor on the dimmer line? Seems like that'd be easier (and more reliable) than a time-based software modification.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 12:09

I'm asking, because I drive with my headlights on at all times
Same here. Clock controlled dimmer sounds cool to me!
Posted by: MinerTwoFour

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 13:55

Yeah, I found that post (photosensor) when I was doing the search. Some vehicles have that already, maybe you could wire the illumination wire from the Empeg directly to that and bypass the headlight switch altogether. Might be a pain to do.

But I thought the time-based dimmer was also brought up somewhere. I know didn't think of that all by myself.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 19:08

Ooooooooooooo! Clock control + latitude setting & bias adjust for placement within timezones (i.e. Detroit vs. Boston setting for EST). A dawn/dusk lookup table perhaps (generated at the PC if needed). But hey, a boy can dream...('specially since said boy isn't a programmer)

-Zeke
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 19:14

Not to pick nits, but Detroit and Boston are both EST.

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 19:57

I know they're both EST; however, the sun sets MUCH later in Detroit than Boston as it's on the far western edge of the time zone. Hence, a user adjustable bias (+/- 1hr) for the on/off setting from the latitude sunrise/sunset lookup table.

-Zeke
Posted by: mlord

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 20:07

NAw, much easier to tie it in with GPSapp --> very accurate clock/date, and position info to figure out exact sunrise/sunset times..

Re: Clock Controlled Dimmer? - 07/04/2003 20:13

If one has a GSP to begin with, I agree. Unfortunately, that's a toy I don't yet have.

-Zeke