Ethernet set-up

Posted by: Henno

Ethernet set-up - 04/07/2000 09:17

Can someone explain how to get a ethernet connection going? What are the do's and don't-s?

We have three PC's at home and I've often been considering to hook them up. Now empeg also supports ethernet, I want to bite the bullet.

Henno
mark2 nr: 006
Posted by: stan

Re: Ethernet set-up - 04/07/2000 09:51

The easiest way to setup a small ethernet network is to buy one of the kits that have a small hub and several cards and cables. DLink, Hawking, and others can be had for US$80-100 at discount retailers. If you have all Pentium class PC's, you will want spend an extra $10-20 and get 10/100 PCI cards in your kit.

Unless your machines are chock full of cards and don't have any spare IRQ's, it should be a very simple installation for Win9x. WinNT is slightly more difficult and MS-DOS is a PITA. After the cards are installed, run the cables to the hub.

Be sure to enable TCP/IP in your Network Settings. Choose IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.99. This will make things much easier if you add an internet sharing router/firewall in the future.

Posted by: Mark Petersen

Re: Ethernet set-up - 05/07/2000 02:47

Just make shoure that the hub you are getting is a 10/100
because some of the kits contains (2*PCI 10/100 + 1*100 hub)

please use the ekstra monye on a 10/100 solution, as it is well spend

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->GPS)(USB->Bluetooth)(USB->You name it)
Posted by: Nils

OT ! USB-GPS - 05/07/2000 03:06

Hi !
Mark, as you just mentioned it:
Do you know a supplier / manufactorer of a USB-GPS or a PCMCIA GPS ??
I need one for my VAIO C1XD as it has no ser port ...

Nils

Posted by: dionysus

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 05/07/2000 05:44

In reply to:

Do you know a supplier / manufactorer of a USB-GPS or a PCMCIA GPS ??

Sony makes a unit which is pcmcia, and is actually an Etak receiver re-packaged.. you can get it here:
http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/00072375/02977001.htm
...or look at etak/sony's page here: (warning, ugly page:)
http://www.etak.com/skymap/

In reply to:

need one for my VAIO C1XD as it has no ser port ...

Ouch; I'm glad I went w/ a thinkpad 240:)

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

Re: Ethernet set-up - 05/07/2000 07:24

Just make shoure that the hub you are getting is a 10/100

I've been looking around and it seems all much simpler than I expected. Besides being careful to get 10/100 throughout, there is little to worry about, is there?

Even worse: some of the kits i've seen box a couple of 10/100 PCI's together with a 1*10 (!) hub

Henno
mark2 nr: 006
Posted by: drakino

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 05/07/2000 11:59

Probably an easier solution would be what I did to have my Palm cradle and serial mouse hooked up at the same time to my one serial port laptop. Xircom bought Entrega and still sells their USB->Serial converter. It works really well, and will give you the benefit of getting a non propritary GPS unit, being able to upgrade your empeg from the laptop, and many other uses. Because if I remember right, the Sony GPS units use a non-standard GPS protocal, excluding you from using that new GPS with any other software or devices. Kim is working on GPS support for the empeg, and with a serial adaptor, the GPS could easially work on a Palm as well.

I recently bought the Rand McNally GPS unit for laptops for $100. It is a 9 pin serial and PS/2 device. (Power is drawn from the PS/2 port) and so far has worked very well. I plan to wire the power into the car once I get the amp and Mark II installed so that it can be used with the empeg.

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 05/07/2000 12:44

In reply to:

Because if I remember right, the Sony GPS units use a non-standard GPS protocal, excluding you from using that

Actually, with the pcmcia version, you have the option of running it in the propriotery (sp) format, or as a standard gps..
-mark

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 05/07/2000 15:54

Hehehe :)

Guess what i use right now:
An ENTREGA USB-SER and a garmin GPS ...

The thing that i would like to have is less cabling & trouble ...
( I did a cut into the USB cable to get +5V for the GPS for example, HORRIBLE )
Dionysus:
Are you owning/using the SONY GPS ??
The link that you provided is $169 for the WHOLE package, Navigation Software & GPS receiver, if i am not misled, could you double that ...
AND do you have a link or hint where to buy ONLY th GPS for less $ ?!

Thank you so much ...

P.S. IF you own the SONY GPS, you could be so friendly to log the serial data ( 4800 Baud, 8N1 ??!! ) for some minutes while having good reception, and giving this file to me, so i could try if my software likes it ...
Which COM port does it emulate ???

( getting excited :-)

Nils

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 06/07/2000 00:43

...Sorry, I was evaluating this product, but the time they didn't support Windows 2000, so I went with a different product. (their currently product should have w2k drivers..)

I actually ditched the serial gps unit from sony BECAUSE of it's priopriotary nature... the pcmcia card though wasn't proprietary and could make your program think it was just any old gps...
I haven't seen the unbundled versions anywhere, but I haven't tried to look too hard.. try and do a search on the major search sites, if it's out there, I'm sure you can find it... still, that price was VERY reasnable...

-mark

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 06/07/2000 02:21

Nope, all the Sony GPS software is still not W2K compliant. It would spawn a process that sat there taking all the CPU time it could and would never display anything. A call to the tech support line gave me nothing useful. They said basicially that they won't patch it because it's too much work and they didn't have access to NT when it was in development. The next software release will support W2K, but it's not a free upgrade. The Sony software is what caught my attention the most for the voice features it had, but the software seemed to have one of the worst interfaces out of the several programs I have tried. It also didn't want to talk to my GPS reciever, because the GPS reciever was talking a standard protocal, and not the propritary one. (I went through the hassle of loading VMWare to even see if it was worth keeping and running.

Overall, I like the Microsoft Streets and Trip program the most for the directions it gives, but the GPS support is a marker on the map updated every 15 seconds, and a readout of the lat/long/elevation. It also won't automaticially advance the directions.

The DeLorme Street Atlas 7 seems decent. It offers directions, and can provide voice alerts on the way. It also will use GPS to track your position realtime, and can show things like what satelites the GPS can see, sun and moon rise/set times, speed and more. And if you get off track, it will recalculate the best way to get to your destination, but it seems to enjoy just saying "Turn around". The address lookup is poor, as it always needs a ZIP. I find myself referring back to the MS program, since it can search on anything, and also return streets that are slightly spelled different then what you type.

The Rand McNally software that came with my GPS is by far the best software to log trips in, but it offers no directions real-time. It has to connect to the internet for every query, and it basicially just marks the map. But $99 for a standard GPS and ok software, I couldn't complain.

The one thing I am interested in is how well the PCMCIA units work. By what I could tell, the antenna was just off the card just like my 3Com Airconnect card. If this is the case, the GPS reciever would be useless because of the location of the PCMCIA slots in my laptop and the way I set the laptop in the passenger seat to see it.

As far as the wiring for mine, I taped the GPS into the front windshield area, and ran the cable down along the edge of the door. The serial/PS2 cable comes right up onto the seat where I need it, and if I have a passenger, the cable easially goes between the seat and the door.

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 06/07/2000 02:55

Aehm ...
Dionysus: Does the PCMCIA Card have a connector for an external antenna ??For me, it would work right now, even without an external ant, because GPS goes through the textile roof of my convertible, but still i would like the option if the reception is bad, or if i take it in my girlfriends car, which has a normal ( metal ) roof, so that the passenger's seat would NOT be okay for receiving GPS ...

Nils

P.S. Egghead only delivers in the US, do you know a shop, where i could place an international order ( Germany )

P.S.S. The Software that i want to use it with is The Car Navigator 2001 Software done by Navigon, it is *Excellent*
Good powerful routing, which is very flexible to adjust to your likes & dislikes ( I only want motorways, avoid cities, etc. ) and your typical speed on diffrent road sizes, the fuel usage of your cat etc...
And is has realtime updating & navigating & routing if you lost your course ...

Re: OT ! USB-GPS - 06/07/2000 16:06

In reply to:

Dionysus: Does the PCMCIA Card have a connector for an external antenna ??For me, it would work right now, even without an external ant, because GPS goes through the textile roof of my convertible, but still i would like the option if the reception is bad, or if i take it in my girlfriends car, which has a normal ( metal ) roof, so that the passenger's seat would NOT be okay for receiving GPS ...

I'm honestly not sure... I saw that card when I was shopping for a gps, but didn't actually purchase it..
-mark

Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 12:01

Hey Guys, I need more help:

Have found PCI cards etc. and am ready to do an ethernet sync now with Mk2-006 now.
Have also found the 'Networking' tab under the 'Player Configuration' option in Emplode. It gives three fields to complete for the manual configuration:
IP address, Netmask, and Default Gateway.

The IP part is solved, I think. I'll pick a value between 192.168.0.10-99, but that's not enough. When I try to commit this change, Emplode insists on a value for 'Netmask' (whatever that is) and possibly a value for 'Default Gateway' once I'm past the Netmask.

Suggestions?

Henno
mk2 nr 6
Posted by: bmihulka

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 12:20

If you are setting up a local network the netmask can be 255.255.255.0 and you should not need a gateway. If it does ask for one I would put the IP of the windows machine you will use to sync, which should be another 192 number.

-Wishing my Mark2 hadn't got stuck in customs.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 14:28

Netmask is an important concept to understand.

Do you understand the concept of a binary AND operation? If so, the netmask will be easy to grasp.

Think of an IP address as a single large binary number, 32 bits long. We look at it as four separate "octets" of eight bits each, but it's really just a single large 32 bit number.

The netmask allows you to define the range of addresses that counts as a "subnet". In other words, when the unit broadcasts messages, what subset of IP addresses is considered local and worthy of receiving those messages?

The netmask simply gets AND'ed to the ip address. Everything that passes the AND operation is considered part of the subnet.

So if your subnet is the 255 addresses grouped within 123.456.789.xxx, then your netmask would be 255.255.255.0. If your subnet was larger, say the 65,000 address under 123.456.xxx.xxx, then your netmask would be 255.255.0.0. See how that works?

As for the default gateway, you should be able to leave that blank if you don't have one. That's another lesson for another time. (Anyone want to chime in with the Default Gateway lesson?)

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 14:35

The netmask allows you to define the range of addresses that counts as a "subnet".
Hey, thanks Tony. That's the type of explanation I need to remember things.

Anyone want to chime in with the Default Gateway lesson?
Is this just as easy, or do you realli need someone else to have this explained ?

Thanks. I'll try IP and Netmask in a minute

Henno
mk2 nr 6

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 14:39

It's pretty safe to say that if you don't know what your gateway address is, you probably don't have one. So it's not that big of a deal right now.

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 14:42

In reply to:

Anyone want to chime in with the Default Gateway lesson?
Is this just as easy, or do you realli need someone else to have this explained ?

Well - basically, to give an over-semplified explanation, the default gateway is the machine that your computer will send packets to that it thinks are outside of the local subnet. SO, for instance, if 128.227.132.xxx (1-255) is your local subnet, then a packet going to 131.12.13.155 will be routed through the gateway machine, which hopefully knows where and how to route that packet.
-mark

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 15:01

I'll try IP and Netmask in a minute

It doesn't work.
When I try to sync with emplode, the machine attempts to dial-in to my ISP, and hangs.
I guess I have somehow have W98 set-up that whenever it needs a TSCP?IP session, it starts dialing.

Any idea where / how to change this?

Henno
mk2 nr 6

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 15:09

In reply to:

When I try to sync with emplode, the machine attempts to dial-in to my ISP, and hangs.
I guess I have somehow have W98 set-up that whenever it needs a TSCP?IP session, it starts dialing.

Any idea where / how to change this?

Try this - go to your control panel and double click on internet options. Click on connections, and check "Dial whenever a network connection is not present." that will force w98 to first check your network connection, then dial out if it can't find it on the local net...
-mark

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 23:26

check "Dial whenever a network connection is not present.

Thanks, this is essential information:
The empeg folks better check that they cover this before they release the ethernet option to a public that is less network aware that the many administrators that (also) populate this board.

Once emplode/Windows decided they needed to dial-in to get a network connect to Mk2 there was nothing left to stop them: any attempt to cancel dial-in networking launched another without terminating the hung one. In the end, windows needed a power reset (pull the plug) to re-vive. Not surprising, the same happened with this check-box marked, but when the network appeared to fail.

I've fiddled around enough now that emplode attempts to find Mark2 without starting Dial-up Networking, but it stll can't connect via ethernet. With only the ethernet connect plugged in, emplode keeps looking for the empeg without finding it. Once I plug in the USB cable they connect OK. Does this mean that I still don't have a network connect? Anything else to change in windows configuration?

- The board settings (in Configuration - properties)) for my new adaptor (it says it's a NIC) are said to be bound with TCP/IP.
- The TCP/IP properties for it are blank. Do they maybe need things like WINS / DNS (they're disabled now) , IP Address / Mask, or Gateway Address?

Or is the network totally gone now, such that emplode is just looking for an USB connect?
Any more suggestions?

(No urgency though. If this starts to become too complicated, I'll wait for an emplode version that properly supports a network connect. Just hoping it is sufficiently intelligent or documented to get people like me going).

Henno
mk2 nr 6

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 11/07/2000 23:54

Henno, it sounds to me like you're trying to get ethernet going from scratch, and that the Empeg is the first device you've ever tried to connect to on the network. You'd probably have better luck getting two computers talking first, verifying that the network is functioning, then adding the Empeg into the mix later.

It sounds like you need something a lot more basic than what we've been giving you so far. I'd been under the assumption that you had a functioning network, and you don't seem to even have that yet.

The TCP/IP properties for it are blank. Do they maybe need things like WINS / DNS (they're disabled now) , IP Address / Mask, or Gateway Address?

Oh, goodness. Yes, you need something a lot more basic. In your case, the IP/Mask should not be blank for your NIC card.

Okay, here's how it works: Each computer/device must have a unique IP address on your local LAN. If you have a server that automatically doles out unique IP addresses for you, that's called the DHCP server. You don't have one. So you need to hand-set a unique IP address for each computer/device on the network.

For instance, you would need your main computer to be something like: 10.1.1.1, and your Empeg would be 10.1.1.2 and your print server would be 10.1.1.3 and your girlfriend's computer would be 10.1.1.4, etc. Get it? If you don't have a DHCP server doing this for you automatically, then you need to hand-set each of those on the respective devices. In every case, set the netmasks to 255.255.255.0.

Next, check your cabling. You can't just plug two computers head-to-head with a standard cat-5 cable. You need either a) a hub that everyone plugs into, or b) a crossover cable if you're plugging two devices straight into each other.

Try that stuff and see if it gets you any farther.

Somewhere on the internet there are probably some basic primers on setting up ad-hoc LANs. If anyone has any links, it might be good for the Empeg folks to post links to them so that the new Mk2 users will be able to use ethernet even if they don't have any networking experience...

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 00:34

> The empeg folks better check that they cover this before they release the
> ethernet option

We're not going to provide tech support for getting your network working - we fitted ethernet primarily for developers. Anyone that has a problem setting up a LAN probably shouldn't be doing so if it's just for their empeg - USB is much easier to set up, and just as fast as Ethernet for synchronisation.

Anyway, I think that has to be the official line, otherwise we'll spend all our time providing networking tech support for which consultants would usually charge $100+ an hour. The unofficial line is that I'm sure plenty of people here will help you to get it working, and the issues are certain to make it into the FAQ.

Rob

Posted by: Mark Petersen

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 03:20

hi Henno

You need to setup your win98 as well.

I'll give you a eksampel

eMpeg

ip : 192.168.0.100
netmask : 255.255.255.0
gateway : 192.168.0.1 (that is win98 with internet sharing on)

win98

(if you enable internet sharing on your network it will configure your networkcard with this setting)

ip : 192.168.0.1
netmask : 255.255.255.0
gateway : your ISP address

to check that the can see each other type this in a DOS promt
ping 192.168.0.100
if there is no anser the setup is now working

or telnet in on the empeg by serial and type
ping 192.168.0.1

the best way to see if your network works is to setup two windows and on both enable file sharing, reboot 10-15 times :-)
and the click on network neighborhood and chek if the other pc is there..

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->GPS)(USB->Bluetooth)(USB->You name it)

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 04:50

It sounds like you need something a lot more basic than what we've been giving you so far. I'd been under the assumption that you had a functioning network, and you don't seem to even have that yet.
Yup. These are my very first steps in LAN land. I've been thinking about it before. Ethernet on Mk2 added the final drop to the bucket.

WINS / DNS, IP Address / Mask, Gateway Address
Thanks for the explanation. I figured it would need something like this. I’ll try this and see what happens.

You need either a hub or a crossover cable
I figured that and decided to try a cross-over first. One device less to worry about, right?

Try that stuff and see if it gets you any farther.
I'll do and let you now. Will keep notes so folks later on don't run into the same problems. Thanks for the assistance so far

Henno
mk2 nr 6

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 05:16

We're not going to provide tech support for getting your network working
I'm not expecting that either. Just wanted to point out to you the way (the current version of) emplode behaves when it cannot find an ethernet link. At present, it dies trying the dial-up link; hitting the Dial-up cancel button causes Windows to crash.

I'm not saying that you should make it all automatic, but suggesting that you cover some of this somehow in your consumer release; at least mention the risk / your policy. Maybe emplode could also allow for a more graceful option, or could time-out when something goes awfully wrong.

I'm sure plenty of people here will help you to get it working, and the issues are certain to make it into the FAQ.
Absolutely. Without the BBS I wouldn't even have attempted.

Henno
mk2 nr 6
Posted by: teemcbee

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 05:21

At present, it dies trying the dial-up link; hitting the Dial-up cancel button causes Windows to
crash.

Do you really think this is an emplode-problem? Didn't windows crash before emplode sometimes, too

TeeMcBee

Posted by: Kureg

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 08:08

In reply to:

Do you really think this is an emplode-problem? Didn't windows crash before emplode sometimes, too

As I see it, "crash" wasn't the right word to use. What happens is that emplode attempts to open up a TCP/IP connection to the empeg. This particular setup of Win9x detects this as an attempt to access the internet (which my assumption is that Henno accesses the internet through a dial-up modem connection).

In fact, if you just let the dial-up networking connect to the Internet (instead of trying cancel), I am pretty sure that emplode would eventually time out or tell you it can't connect (at which point, you could disconnect from the Internet and not have to press the reset switch).

I interpret "crash" to mean that the system either reboots, freezes, or becomes unstable (often accompanied with an error message like a blue screen of death).

Kureg

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 08:59

you really think this is an emplode-problem?

No and Yes

No, because really, W98 is at fault. When you try to cancel a Dial-Up sessions that appears to hang, W98 can't get rid of it, but *does* open a new one. After 8 or 9 attempts Windows freezes. Thus it is not caused by emplode

However, when network illiterates like myself mess around with these things, they'll blame emplode. Even more so when they loose contact with Mark altogether.

It's similar to whar, I believe it was Schofiel, reported it must be a year ago. Rather than attempting to play what was left of the WAV structure on a CD, the manufacturer of the CD-player decided to reject the CD altogether. This would lead his customers to return the CD, while badly playing CDs would be a reason to complain with the player manufacturer.

Henno
mk2 nr 6

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 13:00

Hi Mark, thanks for the help.

I did as you said. The PC and empeg now can see see each other, but emplode still doesn't connect to the Mk2. With only Ethernet between the PC and the mk2 ,it keeps looking, but can't find Mark2.

This is what I've done:

1) entered the following into emplode
. IP=192.168.0.100
. netmask=255.255.255.0
. gateway=192.168.0.1
and did a sync to pump this data into empeg

2) edited the registry, as per Rob's suggestions
. host="192.168.0.1"
. method=3
These values are still in the registry

3) went into W98 control panel and changed the settings for Network TCP/IP properties for the
Ethernet component of the board I'm using, and entered the values that Mark suggested
. IP=192.168.0.1
. netmask=255.255.255.0
. gateway= the primary and secondary DNS addresses of my ISP.
(the same ones as TCP/IP in Dial Up networking)

4) checked if the units talked to each other
. I was able to ping the empeg from DOS. It said that it exchanged 4 messages. All were properly returned.
So PC and Mk2 *do* see each other

. Couldn't ping from empeg. It doesn't know the ping command (in developer's image)

Since the units *did* talk to each other, I started up emplode to do a sync and expected the connect to come up. Wrong thoughe mplode keeps looking for empeg, but can't find it.

What else might be wrong
Anyone with more ideas / suggestions?

Thanks to all for the help so far.
The improvements have been significant

Henno
mk2 nr 6
Posted by: bmihulka

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 13:07

I think your problem is in the registry. The host entry should be the IP number of the empeg itself. So in your case 192.168.0.100. That should fix it, expecially because you can ping the unit.

-Wishing my Mark2 hadn't got stuck in customs.

Ethernet set-up for 11d - Summary - 12/07/2000 14:20

your problem is in the registry. The host entry should be the IP number of the empeg itself. So in your case 192.168.0.100

Brian, you're right
With the IP address in the registry set to 192.168.0.100, it all works like a charm. Comms isue solved !
Thanks to everyone for sorting this out and the explanations.

Henno
mk2 nr 6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This sumarises what needs to be done (emplode 11d), besides installing an ethernet card and software:

1) enter the following into emplode (File / Configure Player / Networking)
. Manual Configuration
. IP=192.168.0.100
. netmask=255.255.255.0
. gateway=192.168.0.1
and do a sync (serial or USB) to pump this data into the mk2.
. quit emplode

2) edit the W98 registry, as per Rob's suggestions, but make sure that the host address is compatible with the above
as suggested by bmihulka: The host entry should be the IP number of the empeg itself. So in your case 192.168.0.100
(Regedit; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\empeg\empeg-car\1.0\Communications)
. host="192.168.0.100"
. method=3

3) call up the W98 Control Panel and change the settings for Network TCP/IP properties for the
Ethernet component of the board you're using. (Values contributed by Mark Petersen):
(Settings; Control Panel; Network; TCP/IP -> [your card] Ethernet PCI); Properties)

IP Address tab:
. Specify an IP address
. IP=192.168.0.1
. Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0

Gateway tab
. New Gateways: add the DNS addresses of my ISP (the same ones as TCP/IP in Dial Up networking)

I didn't change anythings else.

4) Make sure that W98 only dials out when there is no network connect.
Contributed by dionysus, who said:
. Go to your control panel and double click on internet options.
. Click on connections,
. Check "Dial whenever a network connection is not present."
this will force w98 to first check your network connection, and only dial out if it can't find it on the local net...

5) Connect PC and Mk2. I used a direct connect (twisted) cable. Check if they talk to each other by pinging the Mk2 from DOS
This was also suggested by Mark Peterson:
. Go to DOS, type
. ping 192.168.0.100

This should tell you if the Mk2 receives the messages from the PC and can replies. In my case it exchanged 4 messages. All were properly returned.

6) Remove all connects between PC and Mk2, except Ethernet and start emplode.
It shoud do a sync over ethernet now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Henno on 12/7/00 11:09 PM.

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 12/07/2000 14:51

If you don't have a DHCP server doing this for you automatically, then you need to hand-set each of those on the respective devices.

Except in the case of Win98. If you leave the TCP/IP setting to "Obtain an IP address automatically" it will first look for a DHCP server, then do whats called Autoconfig, where it somehow assigns it's self a 169.254.x.x address and a 255.255.0.0 netmask. So anyone with Windows 98 can simply install the NIC card, never open the network control panel, and just set the empeg to 169.254.1.1 and netmask of 255.255.0.0. With this, the two can talk together over a hub or crossover cable. And for now, the registry hack of . host="169.254.1.1". method=3 would need to be used.

The dial up issue may still be a problem, but I haven't used a modem that often since before 98 came out, so I can't offer much help in that area beyond the "Dial when a network connection is not present" should work.

Posted by: muzza

Re: Ethernet set-up for 11d - Summary - 13/07/2000 04:16

Well done folks, this definitely needs to be on the FAQ page!

If permissions are given

Murray 06000047

Re: Back on Thread: Ethernet set-up - 13/07/2000 05:27

where it somehow assigns it's self a 169.254.x.x address and a 255.255.0.0 netmask

.. .which is M$'s Class B network address...

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

Re: Ethernet set-up for 11d - Summary - 13/07/2000 06:45

In reply to:

Well done folks, this definitely needs to be on the FAQ page!

I agree.. But I'm waiting to see if they change the software; which they're saying they will (to at least not require the registery hack..)
-mark

Posted by: Big John

Re: Ethernet set-up - 13/07/2000 07:26

I've setup an IP address and mask on my empeg via emplode, I can ping the empeg okay, but emplode doesn't see it. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Re: Ethernet set-up - 13/07/2000 07:32

Emm,

Think I've just found the answer to this by reading the previous posts. I haven't setup the registry yet. I assume I need to do this with emplode 11D, I'll try later.

Re: Ethernet set-up - 13/07/2000 13:20

Another work around.
Dont put anything for the gateway adresses. My last post (which I just edited this over0 took to long to say that, and i didnt read everything, oops.
Still, I can help put together a faq on this, since ive had to do almost the same thing (network computers without a gateway, under tcp/ip)

-Chris

Edited by mrzarquon on 13/7/00 09:24 PM.

Re: Ethernet set-up - 13/07/2000 19:41

In reply to:

Another work around.
Dont put anything for the gateway adresses. My last post (which I just edited this over0 took to long to say that, and i didnt read everything, oops.
Still, I can help put together a faq on this, since ive had to do almost the same thing (network computers without a gateway, under tcp/ip)

The software might be changing the way that it's doing tcp/ip right now; but if you want to do it, go for it - we can always make changes down the road... send me a private email with the faq materials (preferrably the same format that I do it, with links back to the original posts) and I'll be happy to add it.
-mark

Re: Ethernet set-up for 11d - Summary extra - 14/07/2000 09:27

7) Make sure your Ethernet card is set-up for half duplex, or emplode will a) run slower or b) fall over with 0xfffff703 errors:
. Go to Control Panel -> Network -> [your network card] -> Properties -> Advanced
. Property 'Duplex Mode' should say 'Half Duplex'; change this if necessary

NB: an update of 72.8 MB (12 tracks) took 4:02 minutes using Ethernet vs 5.25 minutes via USB

Henno
mk2 nr 6

Re: Ethernet set-up for 11d - Summary extra - 14/07/2000 23:32

I'm going to chime in here to say this is a bad thing to do unless you are recieving problems like the emplode error. Windows can usually figure out all those setting on it's own, and setting the wrong thing can have nasty effects on not only your system, but any other system on the same network as your system.

(I was forcing a duplex setting on my Linux server in the house once, and ended up making my new 100mbps network slower then the old 10)