Dimmer Question

Posted by: belezeebub

Dimmer Question - 18/01/2004 20:51

I just installed my Empeg in a 1995 Blazer it works find except for the White wire that is supposed to Dim the display isn't doing its job.

my wireing hardness has 2 wires for dimmer both switch from 0 to 12V when the lights are on I have tried both connections on the empeg and can't get a dimmer.

First with the ligjhts off I set a dimmer amount then I switched the lights on and the amount was the same it didn't give me the option to select a differet setting.

Suggestions ??

one wire is orange the other is orange with a white strip ?
Posted by: genixia

Re: Dimmer Question - 18/01/2004 21:32

Just change it. The empeg has no idea whether your car's dimmer line is logic high at 12V or at 0V, so it never presents you differing options labelled "lights off" and "lights on". It simply remembers 2 different values for the dimmer, one for each logic state.

Re: Dimmer Question - 18/01/2004 21:44

Tried that, but I'll go try it again
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Dimmer Question - 19/01/2004 11:32

Beelzebub: Your question is answered in a FAQ here. Please do FAQ searches before posting on the BBS.

Re: Dimmer Question - 19/01/2004 14:14

I did read the FAQ before I posted I was hoping it wasn't the Cap issue I don't see even half good enough to atempt that level of soldering, I'll just live with the dimmer.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Dimmer Question - 19/01/2004 14:48

I did read the FAQ before I posted I was hoping it wasn't the Cap issue
I wasn't talking about the cap issue. The link I supplied covered a few different things related to the dimmer, the cap issue was only one of them.

The parts I wanted to you read were the ones about the correct dimmer setting procedure, and about what could be wrong if you don't even have a dimmer option on the screen. Neither of those are the cap problem.

Re: Dimmer Question - 20/01/2004 23:13

I printer out the Dimmer faq and followed it step by step and line by line, before I posted.

On a lighter note I am pretty sure I found the problem one of the connectors inside the Empeg was not fully seated. I'll re-hook up the dimmer and see if it works now.