Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al.

Posted by: jdandrea

Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 31/12/2004 00:31

Hi there! Has anyone had any luck connecting to the empeg serial port via a Mac?

I have the iogear usb to serial adapter (driver installed on MacOS X successfully). I've got that connected to the empeg, so now it's just a matter of getting a sane connection between the two. Looking at the FAQ entry for Hyperterminal to try and come up with a reasonable Mac-flavored version. The closest I can come using screen is "screen -fn /dev/tty.usbserial0" (not good enough - can't seem to set the speed [to 115200 in this case]). Compiling minicom for the same device didn't get me very far either.

Hmm ... perhaps use (gasp) Kermit???

Re: Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 31/12/2004 00:45

Ah-ha! Figured it out. In case anyone else could use the magic incantation (for the iogear device in particular):

screen -fn /dev/tty.usbserial0 115200,cs8,ixoff

-fn is a bit redundant with ixoff in there, but anyhoo - have fun.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 31/12/2004 01:26

i use minicom regularly to do it, no problems.

Re: Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 31/12/2004 02:21

Excellent - do tell! Did you have to recompile it with anything in particular to get it working? (I ran "sudo minicom -s" but it just sits there, even with the lock directory present. That's where I kept getting stuck.)
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 31/12/2004 05:45

Quote:
Hmm ... perhaps use (gasp) Kermit???

Heh, this promted an upwelling of fond (and not so fond) memories..... I didn't know the beasty was still alive. It served well in good, very old days.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 31/12/2004 12:17

ckermit is alive and well, and is *still* my terminal emulator of choice for serial connections!

I think there's even a debian package for it.
Posted by: julf

Re: Mac USB-to-Serial-to-empeg via screen, minicom et. al. - 02/01/2005 10:43

Quote:
Heh, this promted an upwelling of fond (and not so fond) memories..... I didn't know the beasty was still alive. It served well in good, very old days.

Very old indeed. I remembering doing an improved, windowing version of the protocol (the original Kermit serial proto *stinks*) - let's see, must be more than 20 years ago... Sheesh, where did that time go...