Empeg goes kaput?

Posted by: hussein

Empeg goes kaput? - 10/01/2005 17:23

I got into my car today. Was listening to music. Everything was fine and then all of a sudden I heard a pop. The Empeg screen disappeared. All I heard was static from the speakers. I thought the unit turned itself off but when I pulled it out I could tell it was still on (the static shut off and I heard the normal loud click from the speakers whenever I pull the Empeg out and it's still powered). I put it back into the sled and it didn't turn on. Didn't boot - didn't turn on. I haven't plugged it into AC power yet but I guess my unit died? Has anyone heard of this happening? Can I get this repaired?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 10/01/2005 17:49

Quote:
I could tell it was still on (the static shut off and I heard the normal loud click from the speakers

This doesn't necessarily mean the unit was "on", all it means was that the amp remote wire had 12 volts on it, which kept your amplifier turned on.

First thing to check is this, or some other similar wiring fault.

Check for things like blown fuses and such.

Try the player on AC power and see if you can get a boot log.

Make sure there's not a loose screw inside the player causing a short.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 10/01/2005 17:49

Regarding repairs:

Rob S. is doing official support/repairs now. Contact him at [email protected] for more info. If you're in North America, there are a couple other guys who do repairs on a case by case basis when they have time. Rob's your best bet though.

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 10/01/2005 18:00

Awesome. I just emailed him. These last few weeks have kind of sucked. First my laptop motherboard shorted out and now my Empeg. Sigh.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 10/01/2005 19:47

Can I pass on a word of warning - if you want to repair this economically, DON'T do anything to try and repair it, or let your mate try to have a go at fixing it. From my recent experiences with repairs, the attempts to fix things have resulted in far more extensive damage that has taken a LOT of time and effort to sort out.

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 13:41

So there is definitely a loose screw in there. If I shake the Empeg, I can hear it. AC power doesn't work. Who knows what kind of short got created. At this point, don't know if I should be in the market for a new Empeg or if I should try and get this repaired.
Posted by: Skunk

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 14:24

Quote:
If I shake the Empeg, I can hear it.

Are you sure? Do you actually hear a screw rolling about in the player or simply hear a rattle?
The rattle could very well be the dock connector or even the drive.

If you absolutely hear a screw, I would refrain from trying to apply power to the player.
You will only make things worse but shorting out a different component.

Check for funny burnt smells.
Use the vents on the side of the player.
You may not smell what you are looking for if you sniff from the top air vent.

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 15:07

No I hear a screw rolling around. I heard it the last time I took the Empeg out of the sled but I foolishly didn't do anything about it. Maybe it's time to get a new Empeg?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 17:17

If you're lucky, it's something that Rob S. can repair. He has been able to repair shorts-because-of-screws before.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 17:50

Yup, but WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T plug in the power!

Mail me on [email protected]

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 17:56

Well I applied AC power for about 2 seconds just to see if it worked. That was it. So do I send it to Rob or do I buy a new one? Or both (and then have a spare)?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Empeg goes kaput? - 11/01/2005 18:01

Both.