half of screen blank!

Posted by: JeepBastard

half of screen blank! - 06/04/2005 18:46

Half my screen went blank. What do you guys think? Nipple doesnt look broken. Contacts loose? My empeg has been roughed up!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: half of screen blank! - 06/04/2005 18:48

FAQ
Posted by: schofiel

Re: half of screen blank! - 07/04/2005 14:45

Dead VFD.

Re: half of screen blank! - 08/04/2005 00:20

Ugh. Where can I source a new one?
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: half of screen blank! - 08/04/2005 07:32

In the general parts thread it lists the VFD as noritake MN12832E but they say it takes an order min of 100 to get. If I remember correctly Paul did an order of them but think he sold them all.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: half of screen blank! - 08/04/2005 08:45

I still have a few left if you need one. PM me for details.

Re: half of screen blank! - 08/04/2005 20:22

Cool, Thanks. I believe that I have other issues too with my unit, like it isn't getting quite enough power to connect to the computer anymore or power the half screen to full brightness or return from sleep. Luckily, it still plays music! So i still put in the car to rock out.

Here comes the weekend! weee
Posted by: tfabris

Re: half of screen blank! - 08/04/2005 20:44

Remember that just because Paul has a VFD, doesn't mean your player is magically fixed. Replacing the VFD glass is a serious job involving desoldering and resoldering all the pins. I'd recommend sending the player and the replacement VFD to Stu (Eutronix) or Rob (official repairs) for getting the work done.

Re: half of screen blank! - 09/04/2005 03:28

Thanks for the heads up. I actually resolded a new display in before. It worked like a charm!

I think part of the issue is power and that may have fried the VFD. I'll have to take it apart and test everything. Of course this sucks, because this is the time and money i was gonna use on ODB stuff. Delays, Delays..