FID limits?

Posted by: HOT2N

FID limits? - 10/03/2006 07:37

I recall reading in another post that a MKI with 56GB of disk may run out of ram to hold the FID tags, can such a thing happen to the MKII, and what is the limit of a stock MKII Empeg car with v2.0 firmware?

Also what can the MKII be upgraded to again?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 03:26

It's not the disk space so much as the number of tunes on the player. If you encode all your tunes at a high bitrate, then 56 gigs will hold fewer tunes than if you'd encoded them at lower bit rates.

The number of tunes that gives the problem also seems to depend upon how much tag information is filled out, such as data residing in comment tags (if I recall correctly). So the exact number of tunes isn't the same for any two players, either. But I've heard reports of some players having database-size-trouble when the number of tunes gets into the teens of thousands.

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 04:14

I think I smell the need for a potential feature in empeg management software.

Have the software analyse the FID info and calculate the needed RAM on the player before loading new tunes, and maybe estimate remaining space for FIDs via the trend in track info per song.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 15:35

Quote:
the problem also seems to depend upon how much tag information is filled out, such as data residing in comment tags (if I recall correctly).

Because of this, part of my upload process involves clearing all comment tags.
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 16:04

I wonder how bad the lyrics added to mp3s affect this

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 16:59

comment tags being everything other than the basic tune name, artist, album, year?

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 17:06

Quote:
comment tags being everything other than the basic tune name, artist, album, year?

Comment tags being, everything in the field labeled "COMMENT".

Re: FID limits? - 11/03/2006 17:07

Quote:
I wonder how bad the lyrics added to mp3s affect this

They shouldn't, unless the lyrices are sitting inside the COMMENT field. Lyrics are generally a different tag field than COMMENT.