URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead

Posted by: Thorgal

URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 05:32

Hello,

I have send several mails to Empegrepair without getting any answer.
I have now my rotary encoder changing the volume in "standalone mode" without my interaction.

So can anybody tell me where I can sens or who can I contact to send my Empeg MKII to exchange my encoder ?

I appreciate your help.
Best regards,
David (CH)
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 06:00

Your other option is Eutronix, as linked to from the top of the BBS. Not as convenient, but they might be faster. For the rotary encoder, you would probably just need to send the display board.

I believe the encoder is all through-the-whole soldering, so you could order one and try and find someone local to you to install it. I'm sure you can find instructions on replacing it if you search the BBS.

Matthew
Posted by: Thorgal

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 06:07

Txs, I have send a mail to Enrotronix and waitt an answer.

I agree with your suggestion to order an encoder locally and find someone here to do the modificatioin, but... What kind of encoder should I order ? Does anybody know the part number ?...

David
Posted by: Mach

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 07:44

From the FAQ entry on Jumpy Encoder, it looks like an Alps EC11E-15244.

A quick search on Mouser.com, shows that this part is available.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 17:49

I believe Robricc also has some, you could give him a pm.
Posted by: robricc

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 18:22

Quote:
I believe Robricc also has some, you could give him a pm.

I'm glad to give away encoders for free, but I've really only been sending them to the US. If you're willing to pay shipping and wait until I can get to the post office, I will send out of the country.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 18:50

Whatever you do, don't try to replace the encoder yourself unless you really really really know what you're doing. It's a particularly tricky job, even for experts. You could ruin your display board by pulling up traces as you try to remove the old encoder.

By the way, you guys giving him part numbers: You didn't even ask him if he has a 2 or a 2a, and they're different parts...
Posted by: maczrool

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 19:00

Quote:
you could ruin your display board by pulling up traces as you try to remove the old encoder.

Not necessarily so . We repaired an MK2 board with all pads ripped off the board and it works fine. The repair is expensive and a bit ugly though.

Also, please note that Mouser does not sell an exact replacement for an MK2A encoder. They either have a fuller travel on the push button, fewer detents (courser feel), or fit a little more tightly than the original. That said the selection from Mouser is probably the best choice. If anyone wants to order 2000 of them, you can get an exact replacement from them.

Good luck,
Stu
Posted by: mlord

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 27/06/2006 20:08

Quote:
I have now my rotary encoder changing the volume in "standalone mode" without my interaction.

If you meant standby mode there, then just install the latest Hijack kernel, and that problem is solved.

Cheers
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 28/06/2006 21:14

Per my previous posting, the length of the Mouser replacement for the 2a doesn't match the original but works okay...

Randy

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post268415
Posted by: Robotic

Re: URGENT -- Rotary encoder dead - 29/06/2006 14:20

Quote:
Quote:

If you meant standby mode there, then just install the latest Hijack kernel, and that problem is solved.

Cheers

+1
Mark's suggestion is your best first step!