X on empeg

Posted by: fvgestel

X on empeg - 13/04/2001 08:02

as an experiment, I've setup an X-environment on my empeg. look at the attachments for screenshots.

Frank van Gestel

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 08:03

and windowmaker...

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: tfabris

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 08:39

You're certifiably insane, Frank, you know that?

I like it.

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 10:15

Coooooooooooooooooooool.

Performance must be pretty bad.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 10:35

Wow.....

Calvin

Posted by: loren

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 10:47

I'll second that with a "holy crap" =]

|| loren.cox ||

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 14:07

Performance must be pretty bad.

Actually, it was quite workable. What you saw in the xterm were all the processes running on the empeg. Of course I stopped the player first and I only tested the config-util for windowmaker, but that worked pretty smooth. It would be funny to run ethereal on it and have a portable sniffer
BTW, It's also possible to run a VNC-server on it, so you could login using a webbrowser

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: Janosch

Re: X on empeg - 13/04/2001 16:56

Just a matter of time until we will see a debian based complete empeg linux distributiion from you frank, right ? Great Job....checked your homepage but couldn't find anything related to you X Installtion....will there be some kind of "how to" some day ? Having a portable Ethereal would be so nice.........

janosch

Re: X on empeg - 14/04/2001 01:17

Once you've got the debian tarball installed, you can go to ftp.debian.org and fetch all packages you like and install it using the dpkg command.
For X you need to install the base X-package, some fonts, a windowmanager and xdm for graphical login.
If someone knows the command to show all installed packages ala "rpm -q -a", I can give a complete list.

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: X on empeg - 14/04/2001 05:18

dpkg -l lists all available packages, with their status first on the line.
Something like dpkg -l | grep ^ii should give you
all installed packages. (That's a literal caret (^), not to be confused to represent Ctrl)
The info is also, normally, found in more human readable form in /var/lib/dpkg/status

/Michael

Posted by: synergy

Re: X on empeg - 14/04/2001 11:09

dpkg --get-selections will return your package list.

dpkg --set-selections will take the same list on another machine and make a pseudo-clone. (pseudo in the fact that any customizations that are not in the dpkg .deb file will not carry over... But it's a hell of a start. )