Early Mk2 In-car Serial

Posted by: Derek

Early Mk2 In-car Serial - 23/06/2001 09:01

I am about to solder up the serial connector on my docking cage 'cause a couple of the wires have pulled out of the docking connector, and wondered if I should actually swap out the serial cable itself as a few people have mentioned that the early Mk2s didn't have all the connections they should have in the serial connector. Is this worth doing? What connections should I add? (I think I read somewhere that the shell on the connector should have a ground added for use with laptops etc.)

I also noticed that the current cable isn't shielded, and was thinking perhaps a shielded replacement might be a good idea ....

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)
Posted by: edwin

Re: Early Mk2 In-car Serial - 28/06/2001 03:32

You could run an extra wire from the serial shield to the cage. Or use "my solution".
To prevent the wires to get pulled out of the docking connector add a tie-rap together with the serial cable to a steady part of your dashboard. I actually have all wires from the cage tie-rapped to the dashboard.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6Gb blue/red
Posted by: Derek

Re: Early Mk2 In-car Serial - 26/08/2001 09:00

For anyone who is interested, there are some slight differences between the first Mk2 in-car docking cables and the current ones. The main difference is that the serial cable is now a 6 wire cable instead of a 4 wire cable - it now has +12V and GND connections. The extra 2 wires are simply tapped into the blue amp. remote line (for +12V when the empeg is switched on) and the black earth line (for GND). Also the ISO and radio cables are now the same length as the serial cable - longer than before.

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)