MP3 transfer to the EMPEG

Posted by: 0sb0rne

MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 07:11

I'm sure you guys at empeg have thought of this already, but how does the EMPEG deal with the M$ filenames (eg. containing whitespaces) when uploading your MP3's to the unit?

- Given two theories.... pick the one that sounds funniest -
Posted by: altman

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 07:18

Filenames aren't used by the empeg, so this makes very little difference. If you don't have ID3 tags on the file, the title of the track you drag into emplode is set to the filename (whitespace & all).

Hugo

Posted by: 0sb0rne

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 07:29

Erm... ok... perhaps this will become more obvious when I finally get one and look at the software... but surely you have to upload all your mp3's to the unit itself, and if they have a M$ filename like ' My Song.mp3 ' then what happens to the whitespace (cos you can't create a unix filename with a whitespace on it). Does the software just add a \ when it comes across a whitespace (eg. My\ Song.mp3) or something else?

- Given two theories.... pick the one that sounds funniest -
Posted by: Jazzwire

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 08:01

Sorry, but you can create files with whitespace in the name on Linux...
From the command line, you just use quotes.
eg. mkdir "My Artist"
Jazz

Posted by: zli_mcla

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 09:04

As a chinese American, most of the ID3 tags of my song collection are in chinese.
Can the unit handle it correctly?

Chung

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 09:38

Unfortunately not - we only support the ISO-8859-1 characterset at the moment (Latin-1).

Hugo

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 09:43

Apart from "yes, unix can have spaces in filenames", the empeg does not use filenames to store mp3 files. It uses FIDs (file identifiers) which are hex strings - these are indexed in a database. The database holds all the title, artist, etc info.

Hugo

Posted by: zli_mcla

Re: MP3 transfer to the EMPEG - 03/08/1999 11:50

So how would the chinese ID3 tags appear on the unit? Plain ASCII code? or it just blank?

Chung