FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM?

Posted by: BradS

FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 13/01/2002 16:34

I just installed my new system and everything works great, but when I switch to the Tuner input it is way to quiet. I accidentally popped into AM and wham, real loud. So, I am thinking that the wiring is OK, but am at a loss to explain why the FM side is so quiet.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 13/01/2002 16:53

I have a post in the Bug Reports forum about this. Roger@Empeg says it's on the internal bug list. No idea if it will squeeze into the 2.0 final or be pushed to a follow-up release. But I agree, FM is soft compared to MP3, and AM is very loud in comparison to both FM and MP3. That seems to be the concensus, but I would imagine a proper fix to this would be to allow for volume adjustments to be specified in config.ini.
Posted by: BradS

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 13/01/2002 17:15

Thanks for the info, I thought it might be something I did. Now I can relax and enjoy the darn thing, just have to remember to turn it down before I switch back to the player...
Posted by: jdandrea

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 13/01/2002 20:45

Aye. I agree - AM is loud by an order of magnitude compared to FM. Then again, I'm still having trouble getting a strong signal boost! But that's another ball-o-wax(tm) and I'm hot on the trail there ...
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 15/01/2002 14:25

It seems that since emplode has the option to select US Radio versus Europe, it can select different volume defaults for the tuner.

Calvin
Posted by: bonzi

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 20/01/2002 01:57

Doesn't US vs. EU radio just select frequency step size?
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 20/01/2002 10:49

It does. Tony postulated that the empeg crew in the UK dialed in tuner FM/AM volume settings that suited their locale. So given that the empeg *can* differentiate locale (us versus europe) then you can add in some additional code to customize the volume settings by locale. I guess I wasn't being too clear. This is of course, assuming the reason for the strange volume settings is what I said.

Calvin
Posted by: bonzi

Re: FM Tuner is to quiet, but not AM? - 20/01/2002 10:59

You might be right, but I think a safer bet would be to include configurable separate FM and AM boost/attenuation (or even better per preset), as wished for previously.