Ethernet USB adapters currently available

Posted by: robricc

Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 18/12/2003 10:55

I need to know of a USB ethernet adapter that is currently available for the Central. I found a post mentioning an SMC 2202USB, but it doesn't seem to be sold anymore. Thanks!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 18/12/2003 11:42

If you go into the "About" menu of the Central, there are a couple of models listed on that screen.

Technically, any adapter that uses the exact same chipset as those models will also work. However, during alpha testing, it was discovered that one of those models changed chipsets mid-production-run. (I had one of the later ones and it didn't work, whereas the one back in Cambridge did work.) They fixed the software to support both chipsets, but my point is that sometimes even the model number of a USB adapter isn't always a proper indicator.

In any case, if you look up the info on the web about those two adapters and find out what chipsets are contained within, then search on those chipsets, you might get a decent list of models. I haven't tried doing this yet, I'd be curious what you come up with.

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 18/12/2003 11:56

I found the Linksys USB100TX for cheap here with free shipping (it seems it's free). I bought it and we'll see what happens. I imagine I am going to get a really new adapter, so I will update this thread if it works or not. I know I am coming to the Jupiter party kinda late, so it may not matter to anyone. I bought one for my parents for christmas, so I can't turn it on just yet. I didn't even pick it up from the post office yet.
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 18/12/2003 20:43

I know of two USB to Ethernet Adapters that work...The Linksys mentioned above works and I have an older one (2 Years) and a newer one (3 months) that work fine. Belkin also makes one that works, Model F5D5050....I hope this information helps.....Thanks, Randy
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 19/12/2003 07:28

The USB100TX works fine and don't expect the link light to come on when you plug it into the central; mine doesn't but it works fine.

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 19/12/2003 08:16

Cool, thanks guys.

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 06/01/2004 20:07

The USB100TX works fine and don't expect the link light to come on when you plug it into the central; mine doesn't but it works fine.

I just set up the HSX and it works. The USB100TX also works and both the link and activity lights function properly.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Ethernet USB adapters currently available - 06/01/2004 20:14

COOL! I'm hooked on trio so won't be going back to the hsx... My dad sure is enjoying it though.