My Central needs serviced

Posted by: kevintpoe

My Central needs serviced - 05/07/2004 00:03

I bought a used central off of ebay a little while back and it will no longer boot up. Does anyone know where I can send the unit to get it repaired? Rio informed me that they no longer manufacture the unit so because it is not under warranty they can't fix it. I really need help here.

Thank you
Kevin
Posted by: Daria

Re: My Central needs serviced - 05/07/2004 02:26

You must be from Pittsburgh, where else do they drop the "to be"?

Have you opened it to see if there's an obvious issue?
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: My Central needs serviced - 05/07/2004 03:44

Hi Kevin,
I had a problem with the IDE cable in one of my Centrals that prevented the unit from booting up. Of course, it was my fault for swapping the hard drive in and out a few times.

If I were you, I'd try another hard drive and use the original CD that came with the unit and initialize it to see if that might be the problem...Otherwise, please post some additional symptoms and we can help you with some badic troubleshooting....Thanks, Randy

Re: My Central needs serviced - 05/07/2004 10:40

I opened it up and already checked for obvious problems. Tried a new IDE cable. I also checked my voltage from the power supply to be certain that it was working corectly. I get no action at all when I power the unit up. No blue screen, no ability to eject cds, nothing.

I am originally from Pittsburgh, but now I live in Savannah, GA.

Kevin
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: My Central needs serviced - 08/07/2004 18:24

Hi Kevin,
Just to make sure I understand what you're saying, when you turn on the power switch there's no indication of any power being applied to the unit? No red LEDs on the motherboard, no sound from the hard drive, etc?

And the power supply voltages checked out okay?

Thanks, Randy

Re: My Central needs serviced - 10/07/2004 00:46

I'd have to pull the cover off again but there are some red leds lighting up. The peculiar thing is that when I was checking it out and powering it on and off several times I noticed that different ones lit up the different times. Anyhow I figured those were diagnostics but because I have no troubleshooting guide nor any spare parts I really can't put that knowledge to work. What should I do from here if not send it somewhere to be repaired?
Thank You
Kevin
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: My Central needs serviced - 12/07/2004 19:38

Quote:
You must be from Pittsburgh, where else do they drop the "to be"?

I've re-read that a few times... where would the "to be" be used? Looks like you were right though!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: My Central needs serviced - 12/07/2004 21:18

Quote:
where would the "to be" be used?

Subject/Title of thread.
Posted by: Roger

Re: My Central needs serviced - 13/07/2004 05:22

Quote:
Subject/Title of thread.

They do that in some parts of Scotland as well, I'm told.

Re: My Central needs serviced - 24/07/2004 19:47

My Cnetral is still in need of service. Where can I take it? I was given no literature with the unit and Rio was of no help. Please help me. This has to be the most expensive paperweight I've ever bought.

Kevin
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: My Central needs serviced - 28/08/2004 07:25

lol yeah I couldn't see anything wrong with the subject text