Sony MEX-5DI

Posted by: eternalsun

Sony MEX-5DI - 03/04/2002 11:59

The new Sony MEX-5DI is pure eye candy. It does MP3 (cd). There is a sister unit that has a built in hard drive, but this one has the beautiful 32,000 color screen. I wonder if it has a video input???? I would love to hook up a car-cam to this thing.

Calvin

Posted by: dodgecowboy

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 03/04/2002 12:34

Sorry no video input, it gets all its inputs from cd's and memory sticks. which I have to admit is pretty cool, but with a screen like that, why not DVD capabilities? and a video I/O. Sony is trying, they just keep falling short.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 03/04/2002 21:18

ya i was tempted to almost buy one when i first saw it, but its accully a pretty lame deck. only stills and short animated gifs is what you can use on it, alos the visuals are CRAP!
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 04/04/2002 11:09

Damn! That sucks. That would be *perfect* for one of those coin-sized color spy cams. I could mount it in the trunk key hole or something and dump my rear view mirror.

Calvin

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 04/04/2002 13:49

Yeah, that would be cool, that gives me a great Idea when I get my TV installed though, I could use a camera on my back bumper considering I cant see anything thats not 6ft tall behind my truck....
anyone know where I can get a pretty durable weatherproof little camera?
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 04/04/2002 20:55

don't they make camera's specifically for that purpose that are used on even bigger trucks
Posted by: Satan_X

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 05/04/2002 05:25

I know UPS trucks have a camera installed on the back of the truck with a little monitor in the cab.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 05/04/2002 05:56

I know that some consumer cars have it.. I think the Ford Excursion has it as an option.

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 05/04/2002 08:44

Yeah, they do, but the ones I have seen look like many security cameras hanging off of trucks and R.V., I thinking more around the lines of a camera I can hide and mount behind my tag mount. Little pinhole spy cameras can be found everywhere, I just need to find one that can take shocks and is somewhat weatherproof, I can weatherproof it fully myself, I am mainly worried about shock and vibration.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 06/04/2002 04:40

we sell these at work, there accully really really cheap under $100, a guy that works with me accully had one. ill look into it and see what brand ect. and how to get one.. and i might be able to hoook you up with a good price if you want.

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 06/04/2002 09:46

Yeah man, I would really appreciate it if you would
Posted by: Dearing

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 08/04/2002 06:21

I've got an Isuzu Vehicross with a rear-view camera. In Japan, the truck comes with one standard, but the on-board video also tunes in TV, which is a no-no in the US, so they had to strip the imported models of the video. There's a cubby-hole in the back, however, which fits a wide-angled X10 camera just fine. I've had no problems with the X10 in bad weather, and the cameras are pretty cheap. You can either send the signal to an on-board VCR or directly to a dashboard video monitor.
Jason

Re: Sony MEX-5DI - 08/04/2002 12:28

I had considered an X10 because they are cheap, its all those pop up adds over the last year that make me want to spend my money elsewhere, I would feel guilty supporting that company. But i guess their marketing works, because it was the first one I thought of....