tcpdump

Posted by: wfaulk

tcpdump - 23/07/2002 14:47

I compiled up a copy of the packet sniffer tcpdump for the empeg. Could be useful for some troubleshooting, conceivably. Anyway, I didn't test it a lot, but it seemed to work for me. YMMV.

I submitted it to riocar.org, but until it shows up, here it is.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: tcpdump - 24/07/2002 05:59

Cool. My boss always joked that I could use it as a portable packet sniffer, and now it's a reality.

Being able to watch the packets flash across the Empeg's screen would be pretty fun too.
Posted by: Roger

Re: tcpdump - 24/07/2002 07:23

I used my mk2 as a packet-sniffer when trying to debug the DHCP server in the Central. I couldn't get tcpdump to actually parse the packets properly -- some kind of alignment issue, I guess. Presumably that works now? So I captured the packets to a file and then viewed them in ethereal on a Linux box.

BTW, Ethereal on Win32 actually works. Which came as quite a shock to me when I tried it recently.

Re: tcpdump - 24/07/2002 16:40

You know, I didn't really look to see if parsed everything correctly or not. I just needed it to see if there was more data than I was expecting, not exactly what the data was.

And Win32 Ethereal works about half the time in my experience. That is, on about half the computers I try. I think there's the potential for conflict with the NIC drivers.

Re: tcpdump - 25/07/2002 02:01

It probably did -- the failure mode in my case was that it would segfault when attempting to parse the headers.

And I've not tried Ethereal on that many Win32 boxen, so my sample size is very small.
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: tcpdump - 25/07/2002 12:26

There any way someone could add the ability to view the output of this on the screen and also add it to the hijack menu?

Well of course there's a way, there always is, guess the real question is, will someone please do this??

btw, i'm a cable/network monkey, not a code monkey or else i'd figure this out on my own

Re: tcpdump - 25/07/2002 12:33

You just want a portable sniffer, don't you? Cheap bastard.
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: tcpdump - 25/07/2002 12:52

like I said, i'm a network monkey (a.k.a Network Administrator) .... of course I do
Posted by: mlord

Re: tcpdump - 25/07/2002 18:32

Easy enough to do that. Just write a filter to take stdin (from tcpdump's stdout) and write it to a scrolling display using the Hijack ioctls(). Maybe 30 lines of code, tops.

-ml

Re: tcpdump - 25/07/2002 19:17

The problem is being able to pass appropriate command line arguments to it, and even if you narrow it way down, it's likely to scroll past the empeg's small screen before you can really see what you're looking for.

Otherwise, you're 100% correct.

Re: tcpdump - 26/07/2002 00:53

Looks like everything's working fine. What sort of parsing errors were you getting?

Re: tcpdump - 26/07/2002 01:33

segfaults mostly. I'll try it again with a fresh build of tcpdump, and see what happens. Probably not any time soon -- I can't see myself needing it for a while.
Posted by: mlord

Re: tcpdump - 26/07/2002 06:52

People have already implemented text-file scrollers, and one could either adapt that code for stdin, or just add another 10-15 lines to do it from scratch..

Cheers
Posted by: andy

Re: tcpdump - 26/07/2002 17:22

Someone will be asking Toby for visuals to interpret tcpdump traffic next...
Posted by: mcomb

Re: tcpdump - 26/07/2002 17:32

Hmmm, I always liked that X11 screensaver that displayed ping times with a radar screen sweep.
Posted by: smu

Re: tcpdump - 27/07/2002 11:31

Well, Matrix comes to mind ;-) Would seem just right, right?

cu,
sven
Posted by: frog51

Re: tcpdump - 29/07/2002 05:27

And we're back here again