Argh.

Posted by: tfabris

Argh. - 06/02/2003 11:39

Here's how MapsOnUs says to get to the restaurant in San Francisco tomorrow night:

Note how it assumes I can fly.
Posted by: tman

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 11:40

That's taking shortest route between two points a little too literally...

- Trevor

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 11:41

It's not that I have any trouble following the written directions at the restaurant's web site. I just like playing with the GPS software. Too bad we can't supply it with good data.
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 13:34

In reply to:

It's not that I have any trouble following the written directions at the restaurant's web site. I just like playing with the GPS software. Too bad we can't supply it with good data.

Uhm.. wait.. Tony..
You can't fly?

The way I drive, it's like flying.. As long as people stay off sidewalks, I'm fine.

Me.

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 14:01

Well, I can, but never first class.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 15:13

Uhm.. wait.. Tony..
You can't fly?

Nah, he figured that walking on water was all he would ever need...

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 15:28

Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 15:50

uh...I believe the Lord has exclusive rights to hydroperambulation.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 15:50

Hmmm. I guess I will stick with my GPS V a little while longer.

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 16:01

uh...I believe the Lord has exclusive rights to hydroperambulation.

Funny, I don't see anything about walking on water in his profile. There should be.

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 16:02

I guess I will stick with my GPS V a little while longer.

That's what I want: That data, downloaded to GPSapp instead of to the Garmin.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Argh. - 06/02/2003 16:30

Someone should find a way to make the GPSapp emulate the garmin. I doubt it would be too hard.

To keep garmin from beating us up, we should somehow make it so you have to own a garmin product that comes with the maps.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: Argh. - 07/02/2003 07:47

Yang pointed me to a program that emulates a Garmin.. then use whatever program you use to get the data into the Garmin and this will output a .RTE file with the route information the program uploaded. This .RTE file has all the waypoints on the route and their latitude longitude location, so it would not be hard to write a program to get this into a format the parse_maponus script would understand.
Problem though: The route waypoint names really suck since Garmin has a limit of like 3 characters on waypoint names. Another problem: Depending on what program you use to download the information to your Garmin, the route shape points may not be available (route shape points are points that define the road shapes). Either that or the emulator does not display them.
I'm working on a system to get around these two restrictions with Delorme Street Atlas since it lets you export the route waypoint names and the route shape points to a text file. Haven't had much time to work on it though with my classes starting again though..

Re: Argh. - 07/02/2003 11:21

so it would not be hard to write a program to get this into a format the parse_maponus script would understand.

Or if you're going to write a translator, simply write it to go straight into GPSapp's format.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Argh. - 07/02/2003 15:09

I leave the walking-on-water duties to my brother, "J.C." (really!), and my first-cousin "Bernie".

Cheers
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Argh. - 07/02/2003 17:04

I was just checking directions to the restaurant, and decided to check mapsonus for the hell of it. I really like how the "driveway" goes from the freeway to the restaurant.

Matthew