v2.0final and preinit

Posted by: frog51

v2.0final and preinit - 10/04/2003 02:07

Bitt,

After rebuilding my home PC I'm going to finally get around to updating my empeg and was wondering whether anything has changed recently. I currently have hijack320, preinit5, launcher, emptris, empsoko, empacman, emphatic and telnetd running so I don't want to bugger it up completely

I can see nothing which looks relevant in the bug reports section, so I'm assuming it does work the same way as before, but I just wanted to check.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 10/04/2003 08:33

To be honest, I haven't checked. But I can't imagine anything that would have changed to make preinit not work (if that's what you're asking).

You will have to reinstall preinit after the upgrade, and other programs, too, depending on where you put them on the empeg's file structure, but I don't foresee any other problems.
Posted by: skibum

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 10/04/2003 09:23

I've been using preinit and telnetd on v2 final and hijack 324 (also with jfs) and all's fine.

Although I guess I really should lose preinit now and got to @exec
Posted by: frog51

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 11/04/2003 01:43

Can we pretty much do everything from @exec now? If we can run telnet and emphatic from exec that would be cool. Although I popped preinit on last night and all works perfectly.

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 11/04/2003 07:07

I know that I run telnetd from an @exec_once.
Posted by: adavidw

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 21/05/2003 00:10

Soory to jump into this thread so late, but I've been using @EXEC for everything fine, almost. I've been trying to move things to /programs0, but that's not seen until that partition is mounted, and I can't seem to mount it from @EXEC.

The error I get in the bootup serial log is:
hijack_do_execve: execve() failed, errno = 2
hijack_exec("mount -n /programs0"), rc=-2 (ERROR)

The actual config.ini line is:
;@EXEC_ONCE mount -n /programs0

After the empeg boots, I've no problem running that same command from the command line. Any ideas? Has anyone successfully mounted a partition using an EXEC command, or is that just something that can't be done?

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 21/05/2003 06:18

I'd try ``mount -n <partition device> /programs0'' and not rely on a known mapping to exist.
Posted by: suomi35

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 21/05/2003 08:55

I too have dropped preinit entirely and am using @EXECs with no issues.

The transition is really seamless and you won't need any startup scripts with @EXEC
Posted by: genixia

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 21/05/2003 11:37

mount -n -t ext2 -o ro <partition device> /programs0

If /etc/fstab has an entry in it for /programs0 then "mount /progams0" should work. Otherwised you'll probably need to specify filesystem type and read-only.

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 21/05/2003 18:32

That's the thing. /etc/fstab does have an entry for /programs0. Yet it still doesn't work.

I will try it again specifying the device. That will tell me that either Hijack can't find fstab or it can't find mount.
Posted by: genixia

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 22/05/2003 09:08

Ach. You need to specify the full path to mount in your EXEC command. You have no shell environment, and hence no default search paths.

Try using /sbin/mount

Re: v2.0final and preinit - 22/05/2003 22:07

You know, if left to my own devices, I'm sure I sould have thought of that eventually. I was getting hung up on the /programs0 thing and fstab, and not really thinking of the big picture of what the environment really was at the time. I'm sure I would have barked up the wrong tree for another couple of days, though. So, thanks a ton for saving me from that!