EmpegNotifier

Posted by: Roger

EmpegNotifier - 14/05/2008 20:02

I've just spent the day hacking together the first version of "EmpegNotifier". I think of it as AutoPlay for your empeg. It sits in the notification area (the tray) and watches for empegs coming and going on the local network (network-only at the moment, I'm afraid).

My plan is that you'll be able to attach actions to events (i.e. when your empeg appears on the network, run emplode). At the moment, however, it just watches for empegs and updates the icon and tooltip text.

If anyone fancies giving it a whirl, please let me know how you get on. Suggestions welcome. I've tested it on Windows Vista, but I think it'll work on Windows 2000 and newer.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: EmpegNotifier - 14/05/2008 20:45

Very cool- I will be installing it on my machine at home. Can't wait for an auto-load of Emplode action.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 01:11

First thing it should do: Write out a HOSTS file entry that assigns the IP address of the Empeg to "EMPEG" :-)

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 03:58

Originally Posted By: tfabris
First thing it should do: Write out a HOSTS file entry that assigns the IP address of the Empeg to "EMPEG" :-)

First thing it should do: when it finds an empeg, spawn a program that updates the HOSTS file...

You see where I'm coming from? wink
Posted by: frog51

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 09:00

What a nice idea. I'll have a play with that later on.
Posted by: StigOE

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 12:24

Originally Posted By: Roger
First thing it should do: when it finds an empeg, spawn a program that updates the HOSTS file...

And removes the entry when the empeg leaves the network.

But what if you have more than one empeg connected to the network at the same time? Is it possible for the program to find the empeg name and use that in the HOSTS file?

Stig
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 12:41

excellent smile
Is is KDE or Gnome?

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 12:48

Originally Posted By: StigOE
And removes the entry when the empeg leaves the network.

Yep. That's the plan.

Quote:
Is it possible for the program to find the empeg name and use that in the HOSTS file?

Yes.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 12:49

Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
excellent smile
Is is KDE or Gnome?

Windows-only at the moment. I'll look at carving up the interesting bits of code so that someone can write a KDE/GNOME version.
Posted by: andy

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 13:30

WinForms stuff works passably well under mono on Linux now, though obviously system tray functionality might be a bit of a problem.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 14:08

Originally Posted By: andy
WinForms stuff works passably well under mono on Linux now, though obviously system tray functionality might be a bit of a problem.

This program's written in C++, mainly because of size constraints.
Posted by: mlord

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 15:12

Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
excellent smile
Is is KDE or Gnome?

Windows-only at the moment. I'll look at carving up the interesting bits of code so that someone can write a KDE/GNOME version.

If you coded it using QT, then it should "just work" for all three.

-ml
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 16:51

Qt .... mmmm.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 19:09

Since when did changing the HOSTS file stop needing a reboot for the changes take effect? blush
Posted by: Dearing

Re: EmpegNotifier - 15/05/2008 19:21

Windows 95?

Re: EmpegNotifier - 16/05/2008 05:41

You get a binary (and source) for Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista and 2008.

If you don't like it, write your own...
Posted by: tman

Re: EmpegNotifier - 16/05/2008 06:58

You get a binary (and source) for Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista and 2008.

If you don't like it, write your own...

He's referring to Andrew's comment about not needing to reboot when changing the hosts file. Not that he wants to run it on Windows 95! At least I hope not. If anybody is still running Windows 95 then they should get their head examined IMO...

Re: EmpegNotifier - 16/05/2008 07:01

Originally Posted By: tman
He's referring to Andrew's comment about not needing to reboot when changing the hosts file. Not that he wants to run it on Windows 95! At least I hope not.

Ah. Fair enough. My apologies to Dearing; I'm a little short of sleep at the moment, as you can imagine.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 17/05/2008 15:15

The project page (including downloads) is available at https://projects.differentpla.net/projects/show/empeg-notifier

The https certificate is self-signed, so you'll get a warning. You can safely ignore it (as long as you trust me).

At some point, I'll look into having anonymous access over http, and logged-in access over https.

The current version uploaded there isn't (externally) much further advanced than the one I've already attached. There'll be a new version soon-ish, time permitting.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 18/05/2008 08:24

Originally Posted By: siberia37
Very cool- I will be installing it on my machine at home. Can't wait for an auto-load of Emplode action.

This works (at least, it does for me). You can grab the installer from https://projects.differentpla.net/projects/list_files/empeg-notifier
Posted by: oliver

Re: EmpegNotifier - 18/05/2008 18:35

thanks for showing me redmine. for the last week i've been looking at different project trackers, and redmine seems to beat everything else i've looked at.

anyways, one feature i'd like to see supported in EmpegNotifier is... setup a dropbox for autosync when an empeg is located, maybe even as advanced as rsync multiple empegs against a single directory structure.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 19/05/2008 02:48

Originally Posted By: oliver
setup a dropbox for autosync when an empeg is located, maybe even as advanced as rsync multiple empegs against a single directory structure.

EmpegNotifier just runs the defined program. It's up to you what that program does. I was planning on having the default program be responsible for the actual "what do you want to do?" UI.

That said: bung a feature request in on the tracker, and if I get time, I'll put together an external program for syncing.

Re: Redmine - 19/05/2008 02:50

Originally Posted By: oliver
thanks for showing me redmine. for the last week i've been looking at different project trackers, and redmine seems to beat everything else i've looked at.

Yeah. It's not bad; I've been using trac up to this point, which is good, but doesn't support multiple projects too well. Trac's got a better milestone implementation, though.

Getting redmine to run behind Apache was a bit of a chore, though. I'll write up how I did it at some point.
Posted by: Dearing

Re: Redmine - 22/05/2008 10:54

Yeah, the Windows 95 comment was definitely about the hosts file, not your software. Don't sweat it.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: EmpegNotifier - 18/10/2008 13:02

Quote:
autosync when an empeg is located

That may be a solution for podcast autosync.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 30/05/2009 15:47

I've moved this to Google Code, which will hopefully free up time to actually work on some personal projects, rather than simply tinker with the infrastructure for those personal projects.

http://code.google.com/p/nemplode/
Posted by: sirkingchase

Re: EmpegNotifier - 28/07/2011 03:25

Can anyone repost the file?

I can not find this anywhere else on the WHOLE internet, google returns 2 results...

The file listed on the first first is corrupt. I tired opening it in linux and windows with multiple programs to no eval. All other links are broken frown

Re: EmpegNotifier - 28/07/2011 08:13

Originally Posted By: sirkingchase
The file listed on the first first is corrupt.

No it's not. I just successfully downloaded and opened (and ran) it on Windows 7.
Posted by: larry818

Re: EmpegNotifier - 28/07/2011 11:21

Is ok for me as well.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 30/07/2011 14:01

I've moved this to Google Code, which will hopefully free up time to actually work on some personal projects, rather than simply tinker with the infrastructure for those personal projects.

http://code.google.com/p/nemplode/

I've recently started using Mercurial for my source control. As such, I've moved all of my repositories to bitbucket. You can find the source to EmpegNotifier in my nemplode repository.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 31/07/2011 01:07

Sorry guys it seems that it is an issue with google chrome on my computer. I can not download anything from this site without it being corrupted or interrupted while using chrome.

Works fine in firefox!

Thanks for all the hard work. I just got an EMPEG a few days ago and have been using this site non stop.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 31/07/2011 05:43

Originally Posted By: sirkingchase
an issue with google chrome on my computer

Odd. I'm using Google Chrome. Check to see what extensions you've got enabled, etc., and that you've got the latest version. Also: are you connecting via a proxy? I've had problems with Chrome and Microsoft ISA, for example.

Re: EmpegNotifier - 01/08/2011 06:07

I do not use proxy. I have adblocker plus and autopager extensions. I use google sync to synchronize chrome on all my computers and this issue occurs on all of them (laptop and desktop in windows and in linux on both). I will try in MacOS too just for the hell of it.

I disabled my extensions on for this domain and deleted all internet caches. And still have this error. This is a very weird issue because this has never happened before on any other site.

The main reason I use chrome is for the sync and I am spoiled by those extensions so I will just use firefox to download from now on.