autoHijack v5

Posted by: Gary

autoHijack v5 - 07/02/2002 22:23

autoHijack is a program that will check the Hijack website for new versions of the kernel. If it finds one that is newer than the one on your empeg, autoHijack will automatically download and install it to your empeg.

New in this version:

- autoHijack now reports its activity on the empeg display. On MS Windows, you can just click on the autoHijack icon and watch the empeg.

- As of version Hijack version 176, the kernel can report its version via ftp and http. autoHijack v5 queries the empeg to determine its version instead of using the folder of downloaded kernels.

Requires:
- Python (python.org or activestate.com)
- a working Hijack version >= 176
Posted by: ellweber

Re: autoHijack v5 - 08/02/2002 15:17

Maybe I did something wrong but after loading Beta 11 and hence removing Hijack altogether, I found that AutoHijack did not load in the latest version. It behaved like it failed to detect an older version so it didn't think it needed to update.

A minor problem in a very nice tool!

Lynn
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: autoHijack v5 - 08/02/2002 16:34

I upgraded to Hijack 193 with no problem at all.

Posted by: loren

Re: autoHijack v5 - 08/02/2002 17:01

If you didn't reinstall hijack after you upgraded to b11, then you don't have hijack installed at all, thus not meeting one of the requirements of autohijack...

Requires:
- Python (python.org or activestate.com)
- a working Hijack version >= 176

Installing the new beta wipes out the kernal. I'd bet if you reinstall hijack... autohijack will work fine.

Re: autoHijack v5 - 08/02/2002 17:31

Seems to me that if you execute autoHijack (certainly a conscious act) and there is no current version in place then the logical response would be to install the most current version. Otherwise, you have to resort to a much more primitive tool to load in the first copy of Hijacvk after you upgrade the base software.

Just my opinion, not necessarily anyone else's!

Lynn
Posted by: tfabris

Re: autoHijack v5 - 08/02/2002 17:33

Except that AutoHijack can't work without FTP, which only works if you've got a version of Hijack installed...

Re: autoHijack v5 - 08/02/2002 17:36

duh, that makes sense

Re: autoHijack v5 - 09/02/2002 10:47

Just wanted to say thanks. I finally had a second to get it installed and it works great. Nice script!!

Re: autoHijack v5 - 14/02/2002 01:30

Gary, would you mind submitting this to the downloads section on RioCar.org? I want to add it to the Hijack FAQ and need to link straight to it. If you can't host the file i'm sure we can figure out a place. Thanks!
Posted by: Gary

Re: autoHijack v5 - 17/02/2002 11:33

Okay, done. It's now downloadable from
http://www.riocar.org/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=3

Re: autoHijack v5 - 17/02/2002 11:34

Thanks!