jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF

Posted by: mschrag

jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:27

http://www.jempeg.org/jemplode20.jar

I haven't done the Load From Animated GIF (I have to port the guy's code from JDK 1.2 back to JDK 1.1 so everyone can use it). But I added Save As Animated GIF... This is so you can send Drakino a thumbnail animation for RioCar.org.

Mike

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:28

Here's my hijack animation as an animated gif.
Posted by: mlord

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:29

Have you licensed the GIF patent for this, or are we just flirting with litigation here?

Cheers
Posted by: loren

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:35

shhhhhhhhhhh.....

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:37

Here's the link for Unisys LZW / GIF patent licensing. I don't have one for IBM, who also have relevant patents. These patents (both companies) extend until sometime in 2003, so any unlicensed software which writes them is breaking the law (in the USA, and in treaty countries).

http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/

Free the internet: use PNG instead.

Cheers
Posted by: loren

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:54

II think it's time Jemplode got it's own link at the top of the BBS... maybe replacing the "empeg logos" link.. which is sorta redundant with the riocar.org link... sorta...

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 11:55

Currently flirting with disaster ... I just did a search for AnimatedGifEncoder ... I'll track down an AnimatedPngEncoder and I'll switch it out. In the meantime, I suppose Unisys can send me to federal pound-you-the-a$$ prison
Posted by: drakino

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 12:03

Heh, well I'll look into what I need to do on the logo site side. I figure with this, I'll do a 2 file upload screen, the preview, then the actual .raw file.
Posted by: jwickis

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 12:09

Unisys can send me to federal pound-you-the-a$$ prison

They have conjugal visits!!! Take care of your cornhole!

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 16:22

Hmm, just realised the animation only plays once. Can you make it loop?

And any luck on a PNG version? I should probably future-proof the logo site for this now since I have the code onscreen.

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 16:35

Yeah -- I can make it loop... No luck on the PNG one. Apparently PNG doesn't have animation built in, you have to use some format called MNG, which apparently IE doesn't support, which kind of sucks. I could do a large image that just draws all the frames concatenated? Mike

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 16:49

What about Shockwave Flash? There is some code in PHP that can create flash movies, thus getting around the .gif issue on my side, and using a format almost every graphical browser can support (compaired to MNG support...)

Are there easy to use Flash libraries for Java? If not, a PNG image sequence might work, I'll just need to figure out a way to convert it to a flash movie either directly in PHP, or via a command line linux utility.

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 19:20

Why not just a simple Java applet that knows how to "play" the raw animations? I seem to recall that you're pretty handy with Java these days!

-ml

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 20:28

Uh. Hmm. I feel kind of stupid. It's amazing when you completely overlook the obvious solution I'll do that.

Mike

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 17/03/2002 22:21

Heh, that would be easy

Just send me the web ready applet at my e-mail address. I'll get it up and have the site ready to go.

It will work best if the applet simply accepts a single URL to grab the raw file and play it.

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 18/03/2002 13:18

http://www.jempeg.org/jemplode/AnimationApplet.jar

Check http://www.jempeg.org for the example use too (in the prereleases section).

Click on the animation to play it, play again to stop it... This is so if you have a lot of animations on one page, you don't take the hit right up front of tons of threads kicking off.

Mike
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 20/03/2002 17:57

At one point, I was in negotiations with Unisys on licensing for GIF. They wanted so much money I nearly laughed out loud on the phone. It's no wonder the format is going where it's going.

Calvin

Re: jEmplode 29 - Save As Animated GIF - 20/03/2002 18:18

You mean into the public domain in about 1 year?