[Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better...

Posted by: bonzi

[Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better... - 01/04/2002 02:54

... than to believe IE!

I installed Hijack V251 and verified it fixed problems I had with with VNC, Lojack and Tom's 'remote controllers' using V247. Then I went fiddling with config.ini and Bitt's preinit stuff. All of a sudden all http-based stuff stoped working (while ftp was still OK). I spent two hours verifying the kernel is OK, removing various add-ons, changing config.ini, netstating... Then it occured to me to try to connect to empeg's port 80 via telnet and issue GETs manually. Of course, it worked. Finally I remembered which 'OS' is running on my machine (W98), so I used the universal three-finger remedy. Needless to say, after the rebooting everything works now.

Why would IE suddenly refuse to work with Lojack or other empeg http-based goodies, while still working with other sites (this BBS, for example) is beyond me. Luckily, reboot still seems to fix most of such glitches...

Moral: Use Windoze only when strictly necessarry (e.g. if your customers insist on it); otherwise, choose some operating system.

[End-of-rant]
Posted by: TommyE

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better... - 01/04/2002 05:08

Or use Opera. www.opera.com

TommyE
Posted by: drakino

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better... - 01/04/2002 11:40

I;ve seen problems like that in the past where IE refuses to work right on a site. And thatks to MS integration, there is no way to completly restart IE without a restart of the OS. Mozilla has had a few problems like this as well, but all I need to to there is close all my windows and close the quick launcher.

(/me has painful flashbacks of Netscape 4 and it's problem like this, and the need to use taskmanager to kill it)
Posted by: lectric

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better... - 01/04/2002 14:22

OOfa. Opera kicks butt, except that it simply refuses to run some of the sites I frequent... I use it like 90% of the time, unless I need to check a specific board. How do you like those mouse gestures? I keep trying to do the in all other apps too. ;8^)
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better... - 01/04/2002 18:22

I really like Opera, but it uses up memory like a pig!!!! I ended up uninstalling it because it's like a neverending black hole for memory.

Calvin
Posted by: TheAmigo

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 01/04/2002 19:26

How do you like those mouse gestures? I keep trying to do the in all other apps too. ;8^)

PopMouse will do that for you.

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 01/04/2002 21:53

Hmmmm... that IS cool. But way too limited. Everything is menu-driven, ick. The idea is to save time. Not have to use a menu again.

Ah well...
Posted by: TheAmigo

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 01/04/2002 22:05

The setup is menu driven, but the idea is that you define what you want different mouse gestures to do. The defaults have things like a counter-clockwise circle going back in your current browser and a clockwise circle going forward.

Maybe I don't quite understand what you're looking for...

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 01/04/2002 22:29

Here we go... Look at this...

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 01/04/2002 22:30

That proggie rocks... I'm actually gonna register that one.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known better... - 03/04/2002 12:57

Speaking of IE, another weirdness somebody will perhaps be able to resolve: I (am trying to) use links toolbar on my IE5.5 (W98). However, when I select a link from it, the page gets opened in the same browser window perhaps once in 10 tries. In other 9 it uses either another open browser window (LoJack remote seems to be the favourite ), or opens a fresh window. If I select the same link from the 'regular' Favorites menu it gets opened as expected, in the current window.

WTF?
Posted by: muzza

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 04/04/2002 15:22

Hey lectric, have you had any problem with strokeit and virus detectors? Mine keeps popping up saying it's a suspicious file.

Re: [Warning: rant] Grrr, I should have known bett - 05/04/2002 12:43

Hrmmm... not here. It's prolly suspicious because it resides in memory. -=Shrug=- Sophos doesn't complain, and I don't use anything else, so....