New car... now, what should I do about an install?

Posted by: Daria

New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 17/11/2005 02:46

Yesterday I went and picked up one of these, in fact, a 2002, and as pictured in the article. So, my question now is, how do I have the empeg installed?

I came with a Chrysler RAZ stereo package (cassette/cd with changer interface) and I can get an aux in adapter and then try to mount the empeg in the bay below the stereo... which a simple fitting of the sled into shows is deep enough for a DIN unit, although the display won't; be very visible to the driver.

Or, I can replace the factory stereo, but I'd sort of rather not buy an amp, and it's unclear to me if this has an independent amp or if it's built into the head. Anyone know more than me about Chrysler stereo packages? If it's just a wiring harness I need I'd just as soon install it myself tomorrow before I go on a trip.
Posted by: furtive

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 17/11/2005 09:54

I can't help I'm afraid, but jeez - American car designers need to look at what the rest of the World is doing with dashboards and internal switches.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 17/11/2005 13:59

Now that US companies own like 75% of your European car companies, expect to see more shit like that in the future.
Posted by: furtive

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 17/11/2005 15:03

When it comes to cars, I adopt a simple TLA: GSJ

German, Swedish or Japanese.

Should be fairly safe then.
Posted by: andy

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 17/11/2005 15:08

Quote:
I can't help I'm afraid, but jeez - American car designers need to look at what the rest of the World is doing with dashboards and internal switches.

My MX5's dash was designed in the 80s and it looks far better than that mess. Shocking.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 17/11/2005 15:48

Quote:
Quote:

My MX5's dash was designed in the 80s and it looks far better than that mess. Shocking.

Hmm- looks pretty typical for neo-Detroit cushy-cars.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 19/11/2005 00:26

Quote:
Swedish

Does this really exist anymore? Volvo = Ford, Saab = ....... Subaru or Mazda??

::hangs head as a Volvo owner who found out its internals were largely Ford built:: That's ok, the 1993 240 wagon in my driveway makes me feel better.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 19/11/2005 00:39

Saab is owned by GM.
Posted by: robricc

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 19/11/2005 00:40

Quote:
Saab = ....... Subaru or Mazda??

Saab = GM
Subaru = Toyota after GM dumped them last month
Mazda = Ford

The new Saab 9-3 is still very Saabish in its interior and the 9-5 will be getting a facelift, but should still be Saabish judging by the few pics released. Of course, there are GM logos all over these cars now, but this is nothing new. My previous-gen 9-3 has GM embossed on the firewall and that car was designed when GM only had a 50% stake in the company.

Despite being a TrailBlazer, the 9-7x's interior is far different than any other TrailBlazer off-shoot. The 9-2x (Subaru Impreza) is completely different though. Its interior just screams Subaru.
Posted by: Daria

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 22/11/2005 03:57

It has the independent amp. I rigged up a harness and am back in business. Set me back a total of like $50 and an hour or so.
Posted by: edsmiata

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 29/11/2005 18:30

Quote:
Quote:

...don't you just love it's simplicity??!!!
Posted by: andy

Re: New car... now, what should I do about an install? - 30/11/2005 11:31

Quote:

...don't you just love it's simplicity??!!!

I do, though when I got in it earlier this year after not using it for a few months (protracted engine rebuild) I was shocked to rediscover how many different plastic finishes there were.