Audi TT Installation Questions

Posted by: phaigh

Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/05/2000 12:08

All,

I've finally got my new Audi TT (225) - it's awesome by the way. It came fitted with a 6CD changer which I'm just about living with at the moment (but no bose sound system, i.e. No Amp).

Does anyone else have an install in an Audi TT? Where on earth did you put the amp? Is there any room behind the dash? Where does the factory fit BOSE amp go?

Also, any suggestions for a free-standing sub for the boot? I was considering putting a custom sub into the inside of the spare wheel, but I've a feeling that this will become expensive quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254
Posted by: altman

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/05/2000 12:39

(hugo drools)

Oh well...

Hugo

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/05/2000 00:29

Hugo,

I'm happy to give you a ride, for a reasonable discount.

Seriously though, if you guys want to take some pics for promotion purposes, that's fine with me. I'm probably going to take it to Cambs Car anyway, so I'll be down in the area anyway....

Send me a mail, and we can discuss (paul @ nailed.demon.co.uk).

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: Reggie

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/05/2000 09:11

Talking about installations.... what happened with that A-Class demonstrator's pics? they never made it out , nor in empeg's site nor in Cambridge's site... So anyone knows about it?

Posted by: eternalsun

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/05/2000 14:31

You lucky bastard!!! :) The 225 TT is one of the most awesome cars ever!! Only thing better would be a dropped top!

Calvin

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/05/2000 14:40

That'll be the roadster version. I drove one, but I think that I'll get one for the wife (just kidding....)

It's an awesome drive, but I wasn't really tempted - especially with the 2 weeks of summer we get here in the u.k.

No, I think that I'll stick to my Climate Controlled Coupe!

I think that I'm going to have to get a digital camera now. I'll post the pics when I get'em!

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: Lord Bleys

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 05/05/2000 06:06

I looked at them. Loved them from the exterior. The interior just wasn't me.
It didn't help that the 225 has a long waitlist in the US and they just started shipping. Settled for a sportbike instead.

Maybe the v 3.0 bugfix edition (third year production) ... patience. Patience.

I am VERY interested in installation details, though. What you used, why you used it, and where the heck you put it. Keep us posted...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca
Posted by: Cambscar

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 05/05/2000 10:39

Hi people - still here lurking, just been too busy to post for a while.

The A-Class install did make it into Car Stereo magazine (or was it InCars?) a couple of months back, but we never actually got around to getting any photos online on our website. One of my bosses has just bought a nice digital camera though, so given half the chance, it'd be nice to grab some decent pics.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk

*UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 22/05/2000 13:32

All,

I promised that I'd update you all on progress, and after a large number of emails between myself and Dominic at CambsCar it looks like we've (he) found a way forward.

Most likely the amp (a 402 kicker) will go behind the drivers seat in the panelling under where the first aid kit is (directly on the opposite side of the car from the CD Changer), failing that it'll go in the back seats (don't ask).

There is (we think) an active interface which drives the rear two speakers, so I should only need to put in a 2 channel amp, to drive the front two. I'm probably (haven't decided yet) going to go for a sub as well (a self amplified band-pass Pioneer unit), although this is a pricy option.

Most likely an upgrade to Mark 2 is coming, especially since this is the only way I can get a red faceplate, which matches the interior lighting....

Amp will come from my other car (the original Polo) and the old stereo put back - End result girlfriend gets to drive the car with just a tape player (*wince*)..........

Anyway, going to CambsCar on 3rd June - more details after the installation.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: rob

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 24/05/2000 03:47

The Mark 2 would look fantastic in a TT - if you get one, any chance we could run off some photos?

Rob

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 24/05/2000 07:52

Rob,

If you'd read three more posts down, you'd see that I've already offered this .

I'll send you a private message with my private email adress - drop me a line and we can discuss it.....

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: Bagpuss

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 24/05/2000 16:07

Hi Paul,

I'd be really interested in hearing how you fare with the install in your TT.

I have a 225Q on order, which is due to for delivery on 1st September (it's actually built, but I've delayed it until the new reg.).

I decided to order the car with the Bose Hi-Fi, but no CD changer. The original plan was to try and use the EMPEG with the Bose installed amp (which sits underneath the first aid box compartment).

I've now found out that this amp might not do the job, and that I'm probably going to have to change the speakers in the car as well (as they are all 2ohm impedance when you have the Bose option).

I am still trying to confirm a lot of this stuff, but my local Audi dealer is very reluctant to talk to me about any of it. I guess I'll have to wait until I get the car, and can do some investigation of my own.

Andy.

Posted by: tfabris

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 24/05/2000 17:04

The original plan was to try and use the EMPEG with the Bose installed amp (which sits underneath the first aid box compartment). I've now found out that this amp might not do the job...

Have you asked Crutchfield about their special adapters which let you fit aftermarket stereos to the Bose amplifier system?

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 24/05/2000 23:33

Most likely the reason that the Audi dealer isn't saying anything is that they have no idea.

I did order the BOSE amp, but I eventually got a cancelled order so I ended up with the cd player and no BOSE. Feelings on the web are that the BOSE option isn't as good as you might think - do a search on http://www.audi-tt.org.

Personally I'm very happy with the sound system that came with the TT - and I'm sure that the amp/empeg combination is going to sound great!

Only a week to go......

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: tychl

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 26/05/2000 05:54

assuming the TT has the same head unit/wiring as the S4 these links might help you out a bit.

http://www.audizone.com/info/bose/radiotag.jpg <- tag on back of head unit

http://www.audiworld.com <- more info on the bose amp is there, just need to search for it.

*UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 06/06/2000 05:08

Okay,

I've had the empeg installed in the TT (pictures to follow) by CambsCar (Dominic and Neil).

To be honest I didn't want to hang around and watch the car undergo major surgery so I kinda left them to it, but they managed to get the amp in the same place as the BOSE amp would be, which leaves the back pocket available for the first aid kit still (woo!).

I guess that this area is suitably cooled, but I haven't checked (Dominic.?) I've done a few long drives since, and no heat problems.

The empeg looks great, although I noticed that the bass response from the empeg is significantly worse than the original concert head unit, although I think that this may be the 128kbps .mp3 files I have (I'll recode them and let you know).

Overall it's great to have the ol' boy back, and I'll definitely take a trip up to Cambs again for the mk2 install when I get one.

It took the cambscar boys all day (7hours x 2 people) to do the fit, although how much of this being down to the fact that they didn't know their way around the car I don't know. I did see a number of panels coming out from the car, so I know that the cabling goes all around the car now!

The noise level from the alternator is significantly lower than from the install in the Polo and I've only noticed *that* whine once since the install, which is [censored] fantastic.

Finally, I just wanted to publicly thank Dominic and Neil on the install, since they did a sterling job.

Dominic, anything to add, you were there after all!?

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 06/06/2000 10:20

The empeg looks great, although I noticed that the bass response from the empeg is significantly worse than the original concert head unit, although I think that this may be the 128kbps .mp3 files I have (I'll recode them and let you know).

MP3 files have no problem with bass response, even at low bitrates. Re-encoding your MP3s at higher bitrates will result in better high-frequency detail with fewer high-frequency artifacts, but the low frequencies will not change.

The reason the bass response from the Empeg is different (notice I said "different", not "worse", as you did), is because the Empeg puts out a genuinely flat signal. Most car stereos, especially factory stereos, have their bass artificially increased so that even a "flat" bass setting will increase the low frequencies somewhat.

All you need to do is play with the Empeg's loudness settings and the EQ a little bit. Although I recommend leaving the loudness off and doing it all with EQ. Also, it's better to cut frequencies than boost them- so to increase the bass response, you would cut back on the mids and highs, then compensate for the lost volume by turning up the volume louder and adjusting the amplifier gain.

Now where are those pictures?

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 06/06/2000 15:17

"Also, it's better to cut frequencies than boost them- so to increase the bass response, you would cut back on the mids and highs, then compensate for the lost volume by turning up the volume louder and adjusting the amplifier gain."

Very well stated, Tony. And just to add my own two cents worth here, hopefully not overstating the obvious, but you are almost certainly better off with more gain from the empeg and less gain from the amplifier. Elsewhere in this bbs are formulaic instructions for setting the two gains relative to each other... but I've always taken an empirical approach to this by playing a zero-bit track (i.e, a CD of complete silence) with the head unit set to maximum gain. Then I set the amp gain to the point where I can just barely hear the system's floor noise. That seems to give optimum results.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 06/06/2000 15:34

And if you check out the .PDF document for the new Empeg Mark 2 user's manual, they give the standard procedure for adjusting your amplifier gain in there. I think it's nifty that they included it. (Have you checked out that PDF file yet, Doug? It's in the support/downloads section of the new web site.)

Of course, the standard procedure is the opposite of your procedure. You concentrate on the noise floor, whereas CW says you should be concentrating on capping the maximum volume level.

In practice, it ends up being a little of both. There is no hard and fast rule which governs where your amp gain settings should be. And although you might start with either of those procedures, you end up doing a lot of trial-and-error work and striking a balance between your EQ settings, your noise floor, and your maximum desired gain. In the end, what's important to understand is that a line-level head unit (of any kind) is designed to give good clean output all the way up to 0db, so make your adjustments with that target in mind.

Oh, and Doug, one final note: Pressing "Pause" on the Empeg (at least on my Mark 1) is the equvalent of playing a 0-bit track. It does not mute the amps when paused.

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 07/06/2000 10:36

Dominic, anything to add, you were there after all!?

I want an Audi TT? :-)

A bit more technical background, in case anyone else ends up with a TT to put a system into:-

To original TT system uses the A3 active system, with the front speakers powered directly off the OE unit, and an amplifier (with odd input level) on the rear speakers. We connected the RCA output onto the Empeg using a vehicle specific adaptor (Autoleads PC9404), and installed a kicker iX402 amplifier below the first aid kit in the rear 1/4 panel. There's just enough space to squeeze the amp chassis in widthways, but it's in a relatively large cavity, with good air circulation, so cooling shouldn't be too much of an issue.

With just the OE amp connected, system noise was all but non-existant. Once the 402 was connected up though, we had major interference problems - a really loud alternator whine at probably 9/10 the main system volume. To get around this, we had to tie the original amp's signal ground down to the Empeg's mounting cage, along with the Empeg's own earth. We then ran an 8AWG ground from the same point down to chassis ground in the front of the car. The 402 power ground was then run down from the back of the vehicle to the same point. This got rid of most of the noise, and we killed the last traces by grounding the 402's RCA ground cable to an earthing point in the rear 1/4.

As Paul says, the whole job was pretty labour intensive - I didn't actually spend the whole day working on the car, as there just wasn't the room for 2 of us to work on it most of the time, but it must still have taken 10hrs+. The biggest problem for us was probably the car's build quality. It's so well put together, it's really time consuming just to disassemble things - and we had to take a fair amount of trim out to run cables, etc.

I had hoped to get some decent pics of the whole process, but in the end all I got was a couple of very hastily snapped digital pictures towards the end. If I get a chance, I'll put 'em up online sometime.

If anyone does end up putting a system into an Audi with OE active system anytime, feel free to mail me - we do a lot of work on Audis anyway, so tend to have a pretty good idea what to do with them these days.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 07/06/2000 12:47

Dominic,

Thanks for the additional information. Didn't realise that you took some pictures of my car without permission, If I was american I'd sue you.

Seriously though, I'd love to see some pictures, and I'm intending to do some of my own - watch this space.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 07/06/2000 12:54

Okay,

So perhaps "worse" was the wrong word.

I was just comparing the two systems and I do like to hear a lot of bass in my music (mostly dancey stuff). I noticed that the new install didn't have as much bass as I'm used to.

You're right that recoding the MP3's won't change, but I can notice the difference between CD and 128 fixed on thie new setup, so I'm going for the VBR from AudioCatalyst, which sounds a lot better (on the level above medium, whatever that's called).

I'll try playing around with the EQ settings, but I can't change the gain on the amp (see Dominic's post on why) so I'll have to stick to this.

I'd already boosted the 2 lowest frequencies to the max which is a bit better, but I'll go for dropping some of the others as well, and see what I get.

Failing that, I'll have to invest in a sub......

I've taken the pictures this morning, so hopefully I'll get them developed tomorrow (Thursday 8th June) and scanned in over the weekend...

Then all I've got to do is find somewhere to post them too!

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *UPDATE*: Audi TT Installation Questions - 07/06/2000 12:57

Wow, thanks for the information, but as I mentioned before, I'll have to stick to the current gain settings, as done by CambsCar, since the amp is in a nightmare place.

I did play around with the gain on the previous car (VW Polo) and found that as I increased the gain on the amp, the noise level increased to an enourmous amount. Guess this kinda proves your point.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: Henno

Re: Cambridge Car Audio - 08/06/2000 13:48

Dominic,

Isn't there a 'Cambridge Audio' too (without the 'Car' bit)?
Unless my memories are playing a game with me, I believe I bought a Quad set there y e a r s ago
Henno

Henno
ex 00120

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 17/06/2000 09:10

Here are some pictures

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 17/06/2000 10:49

Here are some pictures

I guess you tried to attach the pics to your posting, which doesn't seem to work to anybody here yet.
Can you post them somewhere else, with a link?

Or even better, would you accept e-mailed pics for posting at the geek site, Rob?

Henno
ex 00120

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 17/06/2000 10:50

Here are some pictures

I guess you tried to attach the pics to your posting, which hasn't worked for anybody yet.
Can you post them somewhere else, and then provide use with a link? I bet Emma looks great in an Audi .

Or better yet, would you accept e-mailed pics for posting at the geek site, Rob?

Henno
ex 00120

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 18/06/2000 05:04

You are completely correct, no attachments here. I also noticed that .JPG isn't an option either! (only png).

I've posted the pics (no HTML as yet) on http://www.nailed.demon.co.uk

They are a little small (in pixels) and I've got much bigger versions if you want them (anything up to the original scanner 12MB TIFF).

Enjoy!

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 18/06/2000 13:23

I've posted the pics
Thanks. That Audi is indeed a beauty! Be careful though, I read somewhere that in Germany a great many of them were crashed at speeds of 180 km/h (115 mph)!

Sure you wanna stick with a blue Emma? Haven't seen it in in real life, but a red faceplate would seem to blend in with the rest of the Audi even better . . .

Henno
ex 00120
Posted by: bonzi

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 18/06/2000 23:25

Drool....

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 19/06/2000 11:36

Yes a Red faceplate would fit a TT better. I think the Mark 2 with a red faceplate will be just about perfect. The airfoil faceplate with the bauhaus look of the car would be outstanding.

Calvin

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 19/06/2000 13:53

There isn't a red faceplate available for the mk1 right now - just for the mk2.

Trust me I've asked... .

Anyway, glad you like the pics.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 19/06/2000 14:00

There isn't a red faceplate available for the mk1 right now - just for the mk2. Trust me I've asked...

Well, there is this photo, which clearly shows the red faceplate from Hugo's empeg unit sitting on the table to his left...

But of course, they never mass-produced them. That was a custom-cut one just for testing the color. It's probably the only one in existence. Note the extra hole drilled for the volume knob.

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 21/06/2000 14:03

heh...

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: mkaye

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 26/07/2000 03:26

The TT is a cool car but ... my car is cooler! ;) I'm gonna be working on a monster install in my 310BHP WRX STi Impreza (it's not std). Specs will be thus (I'm a Pioneer fan):

empeg MKII when my number comes around
Pioneer MEHP900R MiniDisc head unit (top of the range)
Pioneer 6 Disc CD Changer
Pioneer GEXP900DAB Digital Audio Broadcast Tuner
2 x Pioneer PRSX700 amps (2 channel at 200+WPC RMS actual)
1 x Pioneer PRSX340 amp (4 channel at 70+ WPC RMS actual)
JBL 6.5's in the doors
JBL 4.0's and tweets in glass fiber kickpanels
JBL 6.5's for rear fill on the shelf
2 x JL Audio W612's for nice sub bass
Audio control EQL - pro eq
Audio control 4XS - 4 channel active x-over
1F stiffing cap

The car specs are as follows:

Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type R coupe (2 door)
PossumLink ECU - replaces std ECU for direct control of fuelling and ignition parameters, etc.
Decatted exhaust (did I say that, no surely not)
Leda suspension, custom made for the vehicle and fitted by them
Gold O.Z. Super T's 17" with B'Stone Potenza SO2 Pole Position tyres.
Clear indicators and repeaters
Planned bigger turbo! (VF22) currently have IHI VF24 :)

Lots of MDF and fibre work! Currently trying to source a decent (read cheap) supplier of Alcantara for nice ICE install trim.

M

P.S. The whole install will take some time, probably about 2 - 3 months after I get the empeg but it should be good. I'll try to get it featured in a mag or two when I'm done. You guys at empeg interested in this at all?

Posted by: teemcbee

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 26/07/2000 03:39

Whooo - cool car - I drive with it sometimes in "Gran Tourismo 2" on the Playstation

TeeMcBee

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 26/07/2000 12:18

Awww, heck, Tee -- your Peugeot limousine would run the wheels off that silly little Subaru..

tanstaafl.

Posted by: Squid

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 26/07/2000 12:59

phaigh, do the TTs come with that flip down cover in the picture Empeg3.jpg or did you make the cover? Either way, that is cool!

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 27/07/2000 05:40

The cover is standard. We were concerned whether it left enough clearance for a Mk.2 front panel, though, as it fits very flush against the stock stereo.

Rob

Posted by: UncleSocks

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 02/08/2000 20:43

What a coicidence! I'm waiting for an Empeg for my TT Roadster.

I plan on placing the amp where the crummy Bose AMP/changer is located (next to the medical kit - below the convertable top).

If there is insufficient airflow in that location, I'll put the amp in the 'micro shelf' in the trunk.

I'll post pictures when I complete this operation.

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 04/08/2000 06:38

There seems to be a resonable space between the cover and the empeg mk1, but I'd be very interested if you've done a mk2 install in a TT about this.

Has anyone done a TT with a MK2 yet?

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 04/08/2000 09:11

Am I right in thinking that the panel actually pushes against the knobs of the stock stereo when it closes?

Rob

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 07/08/2000 03:03

It's been a while since I've had the original stereo in the TT, but I don't remember thinking that it touched the knobs - the only one it may have touched was the volume/on/off twiddly thing.

Perhaps it was designed like that to turn off the stereo when the top was shut - but I don't think so.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 23/08/2000 13:41

Finally gave in - Pioneer self-amplified sub and empeg mk2 going in (thanks Dominic) on 4th Sep.

Pictures to follow!

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Posted by: UncleSocks

Re: *PICTURES* Audi TT (pic 1) - 23/08/2000 15:52

Yep - The knobs don't touch the spiffy aluminum cover. I just need an Empeg and I'll make sure all is well.

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 09:19

Well, all's well. Mk.2 is in the TT now, thanks to Neil (Neill?) from CambsCarAudio.

Highs:

* Looks great - the red really matches the Audi red colour. I like that a lot.
* The Sub is awesome! It really adds to the overall sound impression. I was very sceptical about adding the sub - not wanting to ensure that people 3 miles away could hear it, but the pioneer self-amp'd sub (10cm) is just right - subtle enough, but still great at high volume.
* Emplode over ethernet is amazing - sooo much faster than USB

Lows:
* Looks like the implementation of the cell-phone mute is a little broken. Both Dominic and Neil failed to correctly get this to work in the (5 hours) time they had my car.
* Noise - I still get a lot (as much as the mk1) of alternator/engine noise in the car. It's not too noticeable, but enough to annoy at low volume/quiet passage. Neil had to put in some floating grounds on the RCA's to stop the *really* bad noise.

Dominic took a number of photos - look out for these soon! I'll be taking some myself, but these are analog (via a scanner) - watch this space.

Anyway that's my 2p.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 09:25

> Looks like the implementation of the cell-phone mute is a little broken.

Works fine as far as I know - did you configure it correctly from emplode? Note that if you have a car kit that switches from high impedence to 0V you'll need a 10K pull up resistor to get it working.

> Noise - I still get a lot (as much as the mk1) of alternator/engine noise in the car

Did they try a different audio source (e.g. another head unit)? There's no reason for the Mk.2 to suffer any more noise than a regular CD head. Did you have a Mk.1 previously installed? If so, did CCA remember to remove the grounding leads? They forgot this with our A-Class (LOTS of noise) but removing the leads cured the problem completely.

Rob

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 09:32

We did change the settings for emplode - we tried both low and high. Unofrtunately they didn't have a lot of time left to fix the problem (I had to go, since I was already 3 hours late for an appointment). Unfortunately they didn't know about the 10k resistor trick until it was too late.

This is a replacement of my mk1 with a mk2. The previous stereo (stock) made NO noise at all (seriously) - and definitely no alternator noise. With the empeg they didn't (with 8 hours for the mk1 install and another 5hrs for the mk2) manage to quiet it down. It's not really bad, just quite annoying with quiet music.

I've no idea if they removed the grounding leads - I know (as I mentioned) that they had to add grounds to the RCA's (non-techie description).

Rob

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 09:49

I'd be interested to see what happens if you plug a stock radio back into the exact setup you're currently using for the empeg.

I'll have a chat with CCA next time I'm there and see what they think the problem is.

Rob

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 09:56

That'd be great if you could. I might need to make another trip up there to fit the tuner module and fix the cellphone mute (possibly to add a mic too????), so if there is a fix - it'd be good to find a possible solution before then.

Thanks a lot for taking time out to look at this issue too!

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh,
(mk1) 6GB, Blue
(mk2) 12GB, Red
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254 * 00357
Posted by: dionysus

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 10:25

In reply to:

I've no idea if they removed the grounding leads - I know (as I mentioned) that they had to add grounds to the RCA's (non-techie description).

Why would they need to add grounds to the rca's? Is it possible that you might have recevied a unit w/ the incorrect ground state set on the rca's? I know I heard mentioned that there is a switch inside the empeg which enables floating grounds for those that need it, could it be this unit shipped in that position?
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 11:44

I'll leave it to CambsCar to answer that question. I've absolutely no idea.

Dominic?

Paul.

Paul Haigh,
(mk1) 6GB, Blue
(mk2) 12GB, Red
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254 * 00357

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 17:32

I don't think that's possible. As far as I know they're soldered links, and the unit would fail the audio output test if they were wrong.

I'll double check this on Monday.

Rob

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 03/09/2000 20:56

The Sub is awesome! It really adds to the overall sound impression.

here

tanstaafl.

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/09/2000 00:43

Exactly. I *am* an audiophile, but not so much in the car. However, I had read that post, and It really does make a difference.

I can definitely recommend this to others!

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/09/2000 01:19

It is a soldered link (well, an 0805 0-ohm SMT resistor actually).

Hugo

Posted by: Cambscar

Re: *UPDATE* Audi TT Installation Questions - 04/09/2000 11:13

What we had to do was fit an earth loop isolator (ie. RCA line transformer) in the inputs to the front amp. I think the fact we had to, and the major noise problems we've experienced with Paul's TT on both occasions are more to do with the car itself, rather than the Empeg as such. A lot of the problem stems from the fact that the car comes with a semi-active system already, which can't be easily bypassed without fairly major time and cost. The original amplifiers on the rear speakers sit at a different ground potential to the rest of the system, inducing major earth loop problems. In an ideal world, the best solution would probably be to completely replace the rear speaker system, but I think there's probably a good chance interference would still be an issue - the TT seems to be an inherently noisy car electrically - in much the same way as late model BMWs also seem to be.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
Posted by: borislav

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 22/02/2001 00:54

Does anybody have pictures of a red (that's the best match, right?) mk2 in a TT?
A coworker recently got a TT roadster and is now desperately looking for an MP3 player. One of his worries is that all aftermarket installs he has seen don't fit well at all (different colour and style) and ruin the perfect look of the stock dash (he has a point).

His bigger problem, though, is that he also wants to keep the stock CD player (BOSE). That sounds a bit impossible since there's no free space in the dash... He almost went for the PhatBox because of this. What stopped him was that apparently the CD player doesn't support CD text so the track titles won't show up.

So anyway, if anybody has cool pictures of a mk2 then maybe he'll give up and ditch the stock CD player. He's really hurting from having to swap CDs every few days...

Borislav

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 22/02/2001 10:41

Here's a mk2 installed in a TT; this was using the bose amps hooked to the front outputs of the empeg (the f/r balance is all done inside the bose stuff).

My brother has a TT with an empeg in there (a red one) with a kicker 405 amp & sub, but this was Andy Fox's car and he wanted brighter than red would allow - the blue matched the interior trim quite well too. The folddown flap works fine.

Hugo

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 22/02/2001 11:18

I just know there's a picture of a Red empeg in a TT somewhere on this BBS, I just can't find it...

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 23/02/2001 14:39

Borislav,

Here are the pics of my TT with my old Mk1 - I thought that I'd taken some of the mk2, but I was wrong.

I'll take some more digi pics tomorrow (at a track day no less) and I'll put them up ASAP.

http://www.nailed.demon.co.uk

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 23/02/2001 14:41

Hugo,

What's the noise from the system like? I never did get Dominic (& Pals) to fully get rid of the noise from the system.

The blue interior trim is interesting - did it come like that, or is it the film?

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 23/02/2001 14:41

I'll take some tomorrow!

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 23/02/2001 20:02

Here are the pics of my TT with my old Mk1

Thanks! Looking forward to more. Can't get tired of looking at TT pictures!

Borislav

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 24/02/2001 11:34

Ask and thy shall receive:

http://www.nailed.demon.co.uk/Empeg Mk2

Enjoy.

Also some pics of my car from the track day at:

http://www.stevecarter.com/wroughton/240201.htm
or via
http://www.sadgit.net

Take a look!

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 24/02/2001 11:49

Hey, you gotta make sure to put a %20 in that URL link instead of a space. Some of us couldn't reach the site without it.

(Corrected link looks like this: http://www.nailed.demon.co.uk/Empeg%20Mk2/.)

Nice photos, by the way.

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 24/02/2001 13:00

Didn't hear any noise from that system.

My brother's install (with the kicker 405) was also noiseless, as far as I could tell.

The blue trim - yes, it came like that. It was the first one I'd sat inside, so I didn't think it was unusual! It was a silver one, the blue seemed to go well...

Hugo

Re: Audi TT Installation Questions - 25/02/2001 02:53

Thanks again, those are excellent! I'll let you know if they do the trick.

Borislav

Posted by: giantPez

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 08/03/2001 00:09

don't know if you got any pics of my TT at the california shindig on saturday. if not, i'd be glad to take some for you.

the TT coupe is hard to install stuff in since there isn't a lot of room behind panels. i had my (large) amp and subwoofer installed in the trunk in a removable housing (it's velcroed in place). the roadster is a bit easier since there's so little room for the passengers and trunk :) the subwoofer can go right behind the passengers in the center, and i think a good-sized amp can fit in one of the side panels in the back or in a trunk panel.

can't recommend the coupe enough as a listening environment. it tied for best Sound Quality at the event, so i'm not alone! [note obvious bragging]

-- doug

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 08/03/2001 00:21

Welcome to the BBS, "GiantPez". That was a nifty car at the meet.

Your BBS handle earns my vote for the most interesting nickname prize.

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 08/03/2001 15:09

Your BBS handle earns my vote for the most interesting nickname prize.

Even better than "Fogduck"?

tanstaafl.

Re: *UPDATE* - Audi TT Installation - 08/03/2001 15:15

Fogduck earns second place. It's funny (once you get the joke- for those who don't, here's a hint: pretend you're dyslexic), but GiantPez has the honor of making me scratch my head and wonder what it's all about while making me laugh at the same time.