Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to wire

Posted by: alarosa

Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to wire - 09/06/2002 19:17

I'm gonna be installing my 20 gig EMPEG into my Subaru Impreza (2001, 2.5RS coupe), along with a Pioneer DEH-7400 unit for XM radio/CDs. What I'm planning on doing is using the EMPEG as a slave to the Pioneer so I can utilize the Pioneer's subwoofer-level preamp outputs no matter what source I have for the audio. Of course, the 7400 only has two channels for its AUX inputs. What I'm planning on doing is bridging the Front/Rear Left outs and the Front/Rear Right outputs together, so I will essentially only have L/R outputs for the EMPEG. Anyone know what the best hardware for bridging the channels would be, or if there's a better way to accomplish this kind of setup?
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to wire - 09/06/2002 21:07

better way to accomplish this kind of setup?

You do not want to bridge the F/R outputs of the empeg. Strange things will happen if you do that -- you only want to bridge them through some sort of switcher.

There is no need to bridge the F/R outputs in any case -- they are identical, unless you have the fader on the empeg set to something other than "Center" or if you have your equalizer set up for 4-channel operation.

Just run your front outputs of the empeg into the auxiliiary inputs of the Pioneer and you will be set. Remember that you will be able to use the empeg's 20 band equalizer, volume settings, and left/right balance controls on the signal you feed into the Pioneer.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to wire - 09/06/2002 21:44

Right, what Doug said. Connect only the front outputs from the empeg into the Aux-in of the Pioneer.

This is the way all Aux Inputs work, always have. There's even a picture of it in the FAQ, which I would link you to if it weren't for the fact that riocar.org is down at the moment.
Posted by: alarosa

Re: Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to wire - 09/06/2002 22:09

Awesome, thanks for the info :-)
Posted by: juenk

Re: Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to - 10/06/2002 00:44

Reading the PH-7400 specs , you'll probably need a Pioneer RB-20 addon in order to use the AUX functionality.

Jelle
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Two head units, EMPEG as slave - best ways to - 10/06/2002 10:15

Or a Pioneer CD-RB10, which is about $40 cheaper, but does not have the pass through for a CD changer (who needs one when you have an empeg anyway?)