hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg

Posted by: iopcool25

hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 12/10/2004 10:29

either by usb or ide ?
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 12/10/2004 11:13

From what i have gathered by USB right now no, its a slave not a master. I remember reading a thread somewhere a while back they were working on something to make a master usb but i think it died.

FAQ on USB
Posted by: siberia37

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 12/10/2004 11:13

Quote:
either by usb or ide ?

IDE should be thereotically possible- you would need to find a way to extend the ide cable somehow outside of the case so you could hook up the cd burner.
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 12/10/2004 12:14

Here is the USB slave to master thread i was refering to.

USB to USB Thread
Posted by: Daria

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 12/10/2004 12:47

You'd need to add ide-scsi to the kernel to then actually use it. But it's technically feasible.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 12/10/2004 14:41

In order for a CD burner to work effectively, it must buffer large amounts of data and be able to stream that data continuously to the burner without any hiccups. That means it must have a lot of RAM and a lot of processing power, something that the empeg has neither of. Also, the IDE controller on the empeg isn't built for speed, I think it would have trouble reading from the hard disk and streaming the data to the CD burner at the same time. On top of that, you'd need to port burner software to ARM and such, since there's no software of that kind on the empeg.

If you're asking, "is it possible to plug in a CD burner and have it magically do things for me without any hard work on my part?", then the answer is a definite no. You'd practically need to write everything yourself and deal with all of the limitations.

If you're asking "is it physically possible to plug a CD burner into the empeg's IDE cable so I can deal with the issues and the programming myself", then yes, as long as you supply your own power to the CD burner and your own IDE adapter cable, and you're a complete genius and can write the software yourself.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the em - 12/10/2004 15:24

You've never burned a CD under Unix, have you? It's much more trivial than under Windows. Software is readily available that should compile for the empeg with no problem. I also think that it's likely to have enough RAM and CPU as long as the player software isn't running at the same time.
Posted by: webroach

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the em - 12/10/2004 15:40

People tend to forget that it doesn't take Windows XP, an Intel 3.4Ghz CPU and 2GB of RAM to burn a disk.

That said, my only question regarding hooking the CD burner to the empeg would be.....uhhh...why?
Posted by: mcomb

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the em - 12/10/2004 19:50

Quote:
People tend to forget that it doesn't take Windows XP, an Intel 3.4Ghz CPU and 2GB of RAM to burn a disk.

It wasn't that many years ago that I was burning CDs on a 25mhz Mac with 16megs of memory (or was it 8?). I think the empeg can handle it I wouldn't go above maybe 2x burns though. And the question of why is an excellent one.

-Mike
Posted by: drakino

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the empeg - 07/11/2004 21:36

Quote:
In order for a CD burner to work effectively, it must buffer large amounts of data and be able to stream that data continuously to the burner without any hiccups. That means it must have a lot of RAM and a lot of processing power, something that the empeg has neither of. Also, the IDE controller on the empeg isn't built for speed, I think it would have trouble reading from the hard disk and streaming the data to the CD burner at the same time. On top of that, you'd need to port burner software to ARM and such, since there's no software of that kind on the empeg.

Tony... Go out to your living room and look at your Rio Central. That was practicially an empeg last I knew, possibly even the same IDE controller. And it does burn CDs of music just fine, though a bit slow compared to todays standard.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the em - 08/11/2004 19:04

I'm glad somebody finally asked the right question....
Posted by: webroach

Re: hey wanted to know if its possbile to hookup a cd burner to the em - 10/11/2004 00:00

Quote:
I'm glad somebody finally asked the right question....

Heh. Thanks Rob.