"Go or No" Time for New Fascias

Posted by: webroach

"Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 03:13

Believe me when I say I truly wanted to be able to wait for this to be a sort of "Merry Christmas!" post, but some stuff on the boards of late has forced me to do it now. <sigh>

My partner in this and I are about 75% of the way to being ready to offer new aluminum fascias based on the NewFace design. As I said, we wanted to wait to announce this until we could just suprise everyone with product ready to ship. In fact only one person on the board knew at all what was up. After the recent posts regarding the aluminum stock design fascias, and the possibility of that same individual making NewFace style fascias as well, we had to go public. So here is, at least a sneak peek, so to speak. You'll notice one small difference from the NewFace, though....

Yep. You guessed it; factory buttons. Or should I say FireFox buttons? We felt that it wouldn't be right to put out a new product without considering other available (and working, FireFox ) items. Anyhow, this is a laser cut template we got for checking fit. In the photo it's just sitting in front of the factory fascia. The sharp corners will be more rounded on the final product (mostly from the milling process, but very much for aesthetic reasons as well).

We currently have sample plates of the following finishes from our plater:

Black Brushed
Black Bead-Blasted
Black DM (swirly)

Blue Brushed
Blue Bead-Blasted
Blue DM

Red Brushed
Red Bead-Blasted
Red DM

I don't have the plates here (my partner has them), but depending on what happens I can post pics later. All I can say is that as good as the black brushed looks, the blue brushed is AMAZING.

The fit on the rotary encoder is for the stock knob, to ensure compatability with FireFox's button kit.

So here's the deal...

We're in a fair amount of money to have gotten to where we are now with the fascias, which is fine. But this is a small community, a very limited market. I'm at a point where I have to make a decision, as the next step will require a hefty monetary commitment. If there are going to be multiple people doing the NewFace style designs, we won't persue our line. It just wouldn't be financially viable for me, and in all fairness, regardless of project status, I was not the first to announce plans to offer the product. So if others intend to continue with NewFace style fascias, we'll respectfully, and without emnity, bow out.

Hope nobody takes anything I've said wrong. I think it's great that there's so much interest in these projects lately. I don't have anything against healthy competition, I just can't afford to put out that much money and then end up selling four or five fascias.

If we continue, we should have proper milled (and plated) prototypes to send out to certain individuals for testing and review within 2-3 weeks. (Crosses fingers)

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a day or so to get a feel for opinions before deciding what to do. If anyone has any questions, post or PM me.

Thanks,
Dave
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 18:44

I'd likely take 2 or 3 of them depending on price.

I would ask that you make a couple of very small adjustments to the right side of the face. It's similar (very) to one of two designs I was going to lay out. Though I was thinking round buttons not stock.

I'll post a sample tonight of what I meant by "adjustment" above.

Bruno
Posted by: tonyc

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 19:26

I'd like to see the different samples, but I am tentatively interested in two units.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 22:36

Here's the image I mentioned. All areas mentioned below are boxed in red.

Basically I'd suggest making the top and bottom thinner - though not necessary for visibility, it makes the unit look more high-end and gives the illusion of a larger screen. You can see this on a lot of aftermarket units as well. Next, make the left side (between display and buttons) thicker so it matches the width of the far left. enlarge the space on the right toward the bottom so it doesn't look so heavy (not needed for sensors, just for looks). Widen the right side so it matches the left side.

I'm not sure what you should do about the top right - this was an area of debate for the original newface as well. I'll attach another image below which is a slight mod on the newface.

What thickness material are you planning to use? Definitely planning to radius all the corners, right? I do like the fact you're keeping stock button spaces - now to test replacement knobs of the same size (the stock one doesn't stick out enough for my taste).

Bruno

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 22:39

The newface change - basically the curve on the right top and width of the right side.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 23:06

Bruno, thanks for all the suggestions. We want to make the fascias that everyone would like, so the feedback is extremely helpful. I really like the ideas, and I'll be talking with my partner later tonight about incorporating them.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you should do about the top right - this was an area of debate for the original newface as well. I'll attach another image below which is a slight mod on the newface.

This has been an issue for us, as well. We don't really like the way the corner curves on the NewFace, but we also don't want a really hard corner. We'll figure something good out, though.

Quote:
What thickness material are you planning to use?

It currently looks like we're going to be using 5/16" stock, which is extremely close to the original fascia's thickness. The shop uses this size stock as a standard, which should help us keep unit cost reasonable.

Quote:
Definitely planning to radius all the corners, right?

Most definately. We don't believe that someone's car stereo should be that dangerous.

The milling process will result in a slight radius on all corners, so it wasn't necessary to build it into the CAD file. On the laser cut fitting template, though, the corners came out very sharp.

Quote:
I do like the fact you're keeping stock button spaces - now to test replacement knobs of the same size (the stock one doesn't stick out enough for my taste).

Thanks. As I said, we didn't feel it was right to put out a new fascia without making it compatible with FireFox's button effort.

I agree about the stock knob. But again, the goal was to be compatible with the button kits being worked on by FireFox. In the future (after the fascia project is in the bag), we've discussed a new custom knob that would be made of matching aluminum with illuminated features. But that's something for another day....
Posted by: mcomb

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/11/2004 23:53

Hey, very cool. I'd be interested in one or two new facias from somebody depending on cost and I like this design a little better than the stock look. Bruno's suggested changes to the newface design are definitely an ascetic improvement as well. Do you have plans to make matching handles?

-Mike

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 00:14

Quote:
Do you have plans to make matching handles?

Yes, we were planning to do handles at the same time as we released the fascias. We're still planning on doing it, but it may be a bit after the fascias are released.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 00:53

Cool, cool, and more cool. Nice prototype. Now I'd better darn well get some buttons available to everyone.

Some questions though:
Black, blue, and red aluminum? I'd love to see pics. But are you doing any metalic, unpainted aluminum? Brushed, polished, and plain; like the old 303 faces?

I'm guessing these use the same lenses as the stock fascia. After seeing the fascia curves worn into the lenses, I wonder if there's a way to clean them or buff them so they look good with the webroach faces. Or maybe now would be a good time to get Filener lenses to match the pending buttons.

Good work. Man, things are getting exciting around here. I can't wait for more info because I may buy a fascia if for nothing else than the archives.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 00:57

Quote:
I can't wait for more info...

Glad you asked!!!

Here's a little something to give people a better idea of what we're working on.....

The front....

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 00:59

And the rear...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 01:10

Quote:
Cool, cool, and more cool. Nice prototype.

Thank you very very much.

Quote:
Now I'd better darn well get some buttons available to everyone.

Yes, you better!

Quote:
Some questions though:
Black, blue, and red aluminum? I'd love to see pics.

I just got off the phone with my partner. He's bringing me the sample plates tomorrow. I'll scan / photograph the plates and post images here tomorrow evening. I don't know how much luck I'll have getting good images, but I'll do what I can.

Quote:
But are you doing any metalic, unpainted aluminum? Brushed, polished, and plain; like the old 303 faces?

First, I want to make clear; these will be anodized, not painted. We may be clear-coating them in order to protect against UV damage. Brushed, plain, beadblasted, and DA aluminum, without anodizing, will be available. Polished is being looked at, and I'm pretty sure we'll be offering that as well. One thing I'm pushing for is to add polished in all colors.

Quote:
I'm guessing these use the same lenses as the stock fascia.

Yes. We didn't want to put something out that would require people to buy anything else. We were hoping, in the spirit of the whole "Merry Christmas" plan we had, to get a prototype to Filener to allow them to make raised panel lenses to fit the new fascia before we announced, but that's how things go...

Quote:
After seeing the fascia curves worn into the lenses, I wonder if there's a way to clean them or buff them so they look good with the webroach faces.

I've had good luck with regular plastic cleaning products. Doesn't get rid of the wear, but makes it much less noticable.

Quote:
Or maybe now would be a good time to get Filener lenses to match the pending buttons.

Even better idea.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 01:27

Quote:
now to test replacement knobs of the same size (the stock one doesn't stick out enough for my taste).

But hm... isn't the photo of a prototype laid on top of a stock fascia? So, the knob would seem burried because the prototype is one fascia-depth further than it needs to be. If the prototype was screwed in place against the lens, I'm guessing the knob would appear the proper height.

And if that's the case, how do the buttons seem to be set at the proper depth? Or maybe the photo is just making it hard to tell. Hm.....

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 01:36

The photo just makes it hard to tell. And something to consider is that the unit in the picture is about 1/5 the thickness of the final fascia. As I said, it was produced to determine proper fit of the buttons, knob, etc.

I think Bruno was referring to the knob in general, but I could be wrong...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 02:32

Yes, the knob in general...

Bruno
Posted by: Laserbeam

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 06:25

Quote:
Or maybe now would be a good time to get Filener lenses to match the pending buttons.

I've already seen the new face and have a lens pattern ready to go. I'm waiting for feedback from someone who has a new fascia and player to tell me the lenses fit before releasing them to the public. Should I wait for this new face to be released and match them?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 07:00

Quote:
Quote:

.....Should I wait for this new face to be released and match them?

Actually, I think FireFox was referring to matching color to the forthcoming translucent buttons.

As far as waiting or not waiting, that's really up to you. The new fascia we are working on will work with the standad lens, no modification necessary. However, if you would like to make raised panel lenses that would fit them, I would be happy to supply a template for you as soon as the design is absolutly finalized (which should be in the next day or so).

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 08:02

Bruno, based on your suggestions, I've made a few tentative changes.

Here is how the design currently looks (note that the corners would have a radius from the milling), and what I've come up with based on your comments.

I've gone about at curvy as I feel good about going on the top right corner. I feel that much more would put it out of sync with the rest of the unit.

I actually like the modifications, and I'm gonna run it past my partner tomorrow. I'd love to get thoughts from everyone....
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 11:43

Looks great...I'm definitely interested in one...possibly more depending on price. I really like the latest version that you did with Bruno's suggestions. Can't think of anything to add beyond what he did.
Posted by: caseyse

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 13:48

I like the rounded fascia, and would get a couple for my empegs. Also, the more rounding of the perimeter edges, the better.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 14:25

I can't tell from the CAD diagrams, so I'll just ask. Is the back scooped out so that the edges of the fascia will touch the body of the empeg and allow the lens to sit in a "pocket" inside? I know I'm not stating that question well, but I hope you get what I'm trying to ask.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 14:51

Judging by one of the images posted above (and comments made), the back does have a recess to fit the lens.

Looks good to me. The only polish I'd make would be to get the top and bottom edges more similar in thickness - though this may just be something hardto judge from the image attached (don't know if some of the bottom part is shadow area).

The curves work well, including the top right.

I thought about trying to make a fascia specific to my car which would not have a recessed back. Because of the way the console is designed, a head unit can be made to fit in perfectly flush. most aftermarket head units aren't designed like this and leave awkward gaps around such consoles. The stock BMW head unit has a fascie that's just a simple rectangle around the outside. I may take my previously modified stock fascia and using more epoxy make some additional mods.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing these new models in person.

Bruno
Posted by: mlord

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 15:15

Quote:
get the top and bottom edges more similar in thickness

They look pretty close right now, though the top may be just a bit too thin.

Remember, the handle will also be present, making the bottom edge MUCH thicker than just the facia alone.

Cheers

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 16:40

Ooops, you're right, I'd forgotten about the handle. If the handle is properly matched to the fascia, instead of a contrasting colour, then the top and bottom do need to be different thicknesses to account for the handle's thickness. I'd been spending too much time looking at silver fascias and black handles, where it looks much more balanced if the fascia's horizontals themselves are exactly the same.

Bruno
Posted by: mdavey

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 19:27

Quote:
Can't think of anything to add beyond what he did.

Oh, you can always find something else to add...

[Design by Marcus "beaker" Wakefield] [edit: added Marcus' nickname and URL]

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 19:52

In truth, I can think of another change that might improve the design, but it would end up blocking the IrDA. I therefore don't think it's worth exploring if the fascia is supposed to be a functional replacement for the original.

The render posted was by Beaker, right? The form and function are at odd with each other almost as much as with the original fascia. Though a good job, the contours on the left is just too over the top and don't have a timeless feel to them. In fact the design already looks somewhat dated since first seeing it. It would also require completely custom buttons, which this new fascia does not.

Remember that there's still the possibility of custom knobs, so one (popular) aspect of Beaker's design will still be possible.

Bruno

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 20:02

My post was meant to be very much tongue-in-cheek however there is one detail I would like to see:

I have to say, I really like the fact that the proposed facia will use the standard buttons and knobs. As you point out, possible future projects like metal buttons with illuminated insets would have an undivided market.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 20:03

Quote:
I actually like the modifications, and I'm gonna run it past my partner tomorrow. I'd love to get thoughts from everyone....

Looks great, the only comment I'd have is that the upper left looks a bit bulky. I played with mirroring the cutout from the lower right, but I don't like the results (might look OK if that screw hole wasn't there). Maybe someone else has a better idea?

-Mike

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 20:20

Quote:
Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Not sure about better, but to throw one mode idea into the pot - how about an IR "island"?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 21:11

Quote:
I can't tell from the CAD diagrams, so I'll just ask. Is the back scooped out so that the edges of the fascia will touch the body of the empeg and allow the lens to sit in a "pocket" inside? I know I'm not stating that question well, but I hope you get what I'm trying to ask.

Not a problem, Bitt. Just to verify what Bruno said; yes, the back is properly "depressed" in order to allow the lens to sit as it should. We also have the notch to allow the unbent sleds to fit correctly.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 21:14

Quote:
Quote:
get the top and bottom edges more similar in thickness

They look pretty close right now, though the top may be just a bit too thin.

Remember, the handle will also be present, making the bottom edge MUCH thicker than just the facia alone.

Cheers

EGADS!!! You're right. I hadn't thought of that either.

Brandon and I will do some measurements and correct the problem. May be this weekend before precise mods can be made, but we should be able to have close mock up in a day or two.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 21:20

Quote:
My post was meant to be very much tongue-in-cheek however there is one detail I would like to see:

I have to be honest. Neither Brandon or I are too keen on the little under-knob radius. Don't get me wrong, it works on that fascia, but we feel that it's a little too much of a curvy-oraganic-y element for this one.

One thing to keep in mind; with enough interest / support, we have no problem doing more than one design. Let me just make it clear that we can NOT do one offs.

Well, ok, we can do one offs. You don't want to see the price tag, though. It would be a choice between the one off fascia or a empeg display board.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 21:24

Quote:
Quote:

Looks great, the only comment I'd have is that the upper left looks a bit bulky....

Yeah, we both (Brandon and I) agree, but we can't figure out how to solve it. We don't hate it, but it is a bit "heavy". The problem we run into is that doing anything interesting up there costs. And costs $$$$. As it is, the orignial buttons have been a hassle, but we're dedicated to keeping them. And to not letting them push up the price of the final product.
Posted by: Taym

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 22:14

It looks great! I'd buy one too. Ideally, I'd buy one of each kind, and, depending on their cost, I may actually do so.
Posted by: Ian Whelan

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 22:37

I am definitely interested in one of these facsias but cost would be the deciding factor for me on how soon I could purchase one.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2004 22:48

I definitely don't like the indent to the left of the knob when applied to this design. This design works so well (as did the 303 Newface) because it's consistent. Horizontal and vertical lines complemented by radiused corners. Most other changes just disturb the design unfortunately.

Also, the IR island idea was something else I played with and didn't bother to suggest. It blocks the LED. (though you'd likely still see the glow).

I believe the top is not too thin either. If it were the same size as the bottom PLUS handle, it would look too heavy. Remember that even though the handle is down there, you'll always see a line between it and the fascia. You'll also have to have some type of depression to allow pulling the handle out (as 303 did on his). If it's left completely flush it's going to be really hard to grab the handle.

Bruno

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 18/11/2004 01:44

Quote:
You'll also have to have some type of depression to allow pulling the handle out (as 303 did on his). If it's left completely flush it's going to be really hard to grab the handle.

Don't worry, it'll be there.
Posted by: petteri

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 18/11/2004 11:02

I too would be interested in this. I may buy two if the price isn't too bad.

Peter
Miami, FL USA

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:13

Quote:
I too would be interested in this. I may buy two if the price isn't too bad.

I'm glad there's been so much interest, as is my friend Brandon.

As far as price goes, we haven't locked it down yet, but it should be very reasonable. We're not looking to get rich on this or anything.

The one thing that will probably affect price the most will be choice of finish. Now, I know that the NewFace was the same no matter what finish you chose. I'm not sure how he did that, because getting something anodized / plated costs money. But again, the basic finishes shouldn't be much of an additional cost.

This brings us to non-basic finishes. I'm working on something, and I don't know if it'll work out, but if it does, I think people will be VERY happy. And I'd like to think that will be an understatement. I know that, at least for myself, my head will explode if I can get what I'm working on done. Of course, this is still a big maybe, and I don't think I'll say more until I either have a sample in my hand or a firm "No, can't be done".

As for the standard anodized finishes, I'm working on getting quality scans of the sample plates. This is proving to be a daunting task. I'll keep working at it though. I'll also have updated CAD shots shortly so people can see what we've settled on as a final design (barring any absolutly necessary fixes).

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:25

Ok, updated CAD shot. This is head on.

Please note, the roughness (especially around the inner part of the knob cutout) is a display issue, not design. It's very round in reality.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:27

Front again, but at an angle to give an idea of the dimensions.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:28

And the rear, at an angle.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:52

Ok, this is the best I could get for images on the finish. My scanner does NOT like these plates for some reason. Gives a general idea of color ranges, though.

This is the three together...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:53

Red...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:54

Blue...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 10:55

...and black. You can sort of see the brushed pattern in this one.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 15:43

303 did have different prices. The unfinished one was cheaper than all the others. His site should still be up...

http://www.by-photos.de/NewFace.html

Bruno

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 15:49

Wow. Not sure how I missed that, Bruno. Thanks! I feel a ton better now.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 20:47

Cool, but which finish is which on the plates? Bottom = brushed? Mid = polished? Top = unfinished?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/11/2004 22:57

Quote:
Cool, but which finish is which on the plates? Bottom = brushed? Mid = polished? Top = unfinished?

That'll teach me to post after not sleeping for over 24 hours.

In each photo, it is Brushed, Bead-Blasted, then DA (the kinda swirly finish).

Sadly, the photos don't properly show the finishes, and I can't seem to get a goot shot that does.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/11/2004 02:49

If you want to get more accurate photos up as samples (soon or eventually) and can't get them right, let me know and I'd be glad to do it for you. You just need to send me the sample plates. I should be able to get something that looks true-to-life.

Bruno
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 27/11/2004 09:00

Ooooh yeah.... I can SO see some more brushed alu bits in the Peugeot.... and also get to use the blue uttons I got so long back from Brian.... Happy happy joy joy!
Posted by: Nils Heidorn

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/12/2004 18:34

Hi there !
Hmmm, could someone be so nice to do a scan of an original "NewFace" Plate (AluFace/PolFace/AnoFace) ?
( Or a good Digipic done at an exact 90° angle ) ?
This would be *great* as i may have access to a laser cutter the next days.
Of course it would be even greater to have a digital drawing / Cad file or the like from a nice faceplate.

And just another Question, do you know of anyone still supplying an illuminated button solution ?

Thanks,

Nils

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/12/2004 18:48

Welcome Nils. I can't help you with the newface, but I'll try to help a bit with the button query. If you follow the Eutronix link at the top of the page, it will take you to a place where they offer the kit and/or service to install the LED's necessary to have lit buttons. There is noone producing buttons at present, as Brian, the guy that used to do them (and is linked at the top of the page) seems to have stopped producing them. Firefox31 has been working for several months with casters and prototypers to get more produced. There should be some availible within the next few months for purchase. Watch the Announcements board and the Projects board for further developments. I believe this thread has the latest progress update.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/12/2004 20:38

Hi JBjorgen
thanks for the welcome, but i was in the BBS earlier before
Somehow my login wasnt working, so i registered newly.
I had one of the very first MK 1 Units ( don't remember which number ) and i traded in for the MK 2 Number 5.

Until recently i was just catching up with every new Hijack Kernel, but now i updated to 3.0 alpha8, so there is need to browse through the BBS again
AND i realized that i want an updated Design ( Buttons / Brushed Aluminium Faceplate ) for my latest car.
So thats why i start squeeking again

Okay, so i will check this thread and the buttons thread regularly, such a pity, when i carve a new faceplate now it probably won't fit the soon-to-be buttons.

Well, hopefully someone can scan a Faceplate, preferably a NewFace ( i *love* that design ), so i can sharpen the 'ol Laser

Greetings,

Nils

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/12/2004 21:59

Awesome to hear that you have MKII number 5. I always wonder where those early units are.

Quote:
when i carve a new faceplate now it probably won't fit the soon-to-be buttons.

The new metal fascia that webroach is creating will have standard button openings, to fit the buttons that come with the player. The lit buttons I am creating will also be standard size and will be compatible with the webroach fascias. Everything will work together

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/12/2004 04:03

On that... sorry to all for the lack of updates lately. Finals are killing me, and I've had to throw most of my attention towards them. Should be over after Monday, and we can get things rolling a bit faster.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/12/2004 06:12

We have no understanding whatsoever ... How dare you have a life... They just tend to be a beach anyway, and toss spanners into the best laid plans. Probably a variant of "no plan survives first enemy contact"

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/12/2004 06:37

Quote:

The new metal fascia that webroach is creating will have standard button openings, to fit the buttons that come with the player. The lit buttons I am creating will also be standard size and will be compatible with the webroach fascias. Everything will work together

G-REAT !

Now does someone at least HAVE a NewFace or was that product never even sold ?!

Of course i have the screens from the website, but i wouldhate producing a crappy cutting template from those pics alone...

Bye,

Nils

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/12/2004 09:08

Quote:

G-REAT !

Now does someone at least HAVE a NewFace or was that product never even sold ?!

Of course i have the screens from the website, but i wouldhate producing a crappy cutting template from those pics alone...

Bye,

Nils

Yes it was sold, though I don't think in very large numbers (relatively speaking,even with empeg measurements). I have a black one - and would be happy to toss it on a scanner, but my mobilityand finger-dexterity is currently somewhat limited (life, beach, spanners...)Given a couple of days I might enlist thssistance of a co-worker, but don't expect anything from my end before mid next week. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if someone beats me to it...
Posted by: Mach

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/12/2004 17:41

Check your PM.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/12/2004 19:51

Hi again !

The User MACH was so kind to send me some pics, that are as good as can be !

So lets see if i can get somewhere with this...

Nils
Posted by: Qtqc

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 20/12/2004 01:03

I would be interested, but like everyone said, depends on price, please let us know when there ready

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/12/2004 10:54

I should have final prices either tomorrow or, failing that, a day or two after Christmas. Right now we're waiting on final quotes from our cutters / finishers. Sorry for the long delay in info. As I said, finals at school kept me quite busy, though I was able to successfully pull a 4.0!

Also, in the spirit of of being honest, I've also been a bit preoccupied. I got an early Christmas present that's been eating up a lot of my time. I'm sure some of you understand.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/12/2004 15:39

Quote:
I should have final prices either tomorrow or, failing that, a day or two after Christmas. Right now we're waiting on final quotes from our cutters / finishers.

Oooh, the suspense ... I can feel it being detrimental to my bloodpressure - just kidding

Barring a price equivalent to their weight in gold, I'm soooo likely to get one in brushed alumin(i)um

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/01/2005 20:49

Hasn't been a month since the last post, but can I bump this anyway? Digging back into the button project has renewed my curiousity in the metal fascia project. Thanks!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/01/2005 07:41

Quote:
Hasn't been a month since the last post, but can I bump this anyway? Digging back into the button project has renewed my curiousity in the metal fascia project. Thanks!

Man, sorry about the wait, everyone. Things have been a little hectic here.

Here's where we stand. The first "alpha" blanks are in queue to be water cut (ie. the order is in with our cutter). This should be in the next 2 weeks (crosses fingers). The hold-up centers around the size of the job: we aren't big enough to take a great deal of priority.

After the water cutting is done, Brandon and I will be taking a few days to verify fit, etc. After verifying everything looks good, we'll post pics of the blanks (kinda like amateur empeg porn). They'll then be sent to be milled, which should finish the mechanical production phase.

The only thing left at that point will be finishes. We're looking at, for this first "alpha" run, doing the following:

1 - Bare aluminum, brushed
1 - Bare aluminum, polished
1 - Black anodized, brushed
1 - TBD
1 - Super extra sick finish (which will become my personal fascia, though we will offer that finish if everything works out)

Ok, maybe not SUPER extra sick, but I'm excited about it.

We'll be, of course, putting up extensive photos when finishes are complete, as well as a list of all available finishes. That list, BTW, should be EXTENSIVE (to say the least) if I'm successful with what I've been working on. But that's for later.

We'll also post prices at that point. We spent a LONG time over coffee the other night discussing price; we want to make the price as low as possible so that everyone can have one (or more than one...based on board history I'm looking at you, Paul..... ), but we still need to make a little something to cover the time spent on this. Don't worry, we work cheap. Of course, Bare Aluminum Brushed, Bare Aluminum Polished and (if anyone really wants it) Bare Aluminum Raw will be the cheapest, a bit extra for Anodized, and more "exotic" finishes will be at our cost.

Turn around time after ordering is looking like it will be about 3 weeks max, with the exception of the "exotic" finishes mentioned above. Anyone ordering a fascia with one of those finishes will probably have to talk to me directly (ie. email, PM, phone, etc.) regarding price / turnaround time.

Bear with us guys, we'll get there. I assure all of you this won't become a case of "vapor-fascia". As FireFox has, I'm sure, seen with his button project, these things always take much longer than you expect. We just want to make sure everyone gets something worth having.
Posted by: rob

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/01/2005 11:10

Quote:
1 - Super extra sick finish

Thank goodness we now get American Chopper in the UK, so even I understand that this means the finish will actually look rather good.

Rob

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/01/2005 18:51

Quote:
Quote:
1 - Super extra sick finish

Thank goodness we now get American Chopper in the UK, so even I understand that this means the finish will actually look rather good.

Rob

*sigh*

I won't deny it, I grew up just a few hours north of the guys from "American Chopper". Way up in the wilds of northern NY.

So as you can see, I didn't have a chance.
Posted by: robricc

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 00:05

Quote:
I won't deny it, I grew up just a few hours north of the guys from "American Chopper".

I actually drove past their original shop in Rock Tavern, NY yesterday. It's only about 15 minutes from my house. Nothing to get excited over.

I don't know where exactly their new shop is, and I don't really care all that much either. The show is interesting to me only because it mirrors my real life in a small way. Me and my father work together and we're also constantly blowing-up at each other and fighting. I guess the bikes come out cool if you're into that, but it seems like every part is sourced from someone else instead of made in-house.

Despite living in Orange County, NY, I see far more OCC gear when out of the area. I was in Niagara Falls, ON this weekend and OCC was a pretty popular fashion statement up there for whatever reason.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 00:10

Good good good to hear, all around. Exotic? Sounds really interesting. Can I get a fascia covered in solar panels so I can listen to my empeg while I jog around the neighborhood?
Quote:
these things always take much longer than you expect.

Ugh, painfully true. They put us "little guys" in the back of the line. The projects will be done though, eventually.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 02:41

Quote:
Quote:
I won't deny it, I grew up just a few hours north of the guys from "American Chopper".

Nothing to get excited over.

I don't know where exactly their new shop is, and I don't really care all that much either.

Heh. Actually I meant it more as an apology. Or some sort of admission of guilt by association...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 02:48

Quote:
Exotic? Sounds really interesting. Can I get a fascia covered in solar panels so I can listen to my empeg while I jog around the neighborhood?

Hrmm... I guess we could try.

And as far as "exotic", I don't want people to think I'm talking about some sort of futuristic alien-sourced sub-atomic laminate. Simply finishes well beyond the standard anodizing. But I'm still working on it.

Keep your fingers / toes / eyes crossed.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 05:37

Quote:
I don't want people to think I'm talking about some sort of futuristic alien-sourced sub-atomic laminate.

Ooo. How much for THAT one?!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 20:24

Quote:
Quote:
I don't want people to think I'm talking about some sort of futuristic alien-sourced sub-atomic laminate.

Ooo. How much for THAT one?!

I'll do it at cost, but the turn around time is measured in light years.

You should have heard the lady at UPS when I asked what the shipping fee per AU was......

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 20:52

Use the postal system (air mail) for anything you have to ship out of the USA. Developed countries generally have rather good and timely (air) postal delivery.

Cheers
Posted by: robricc

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 22:24

Quote:
Developed countries generally have rather good and timely (air) postal delivery.

Not to give you a hard time, but the european-to-US antenna adapter Boxer sent me about 2 years ago has yet to show its face. So, for me, right now the failure rate for international parcels getting to me is about 1 in 20.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/01/2005 23:21

Yeah, like I said.. developed countries..

For shipping to or within the USA there are better options.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 12/01/2005 01:30

Heh...

Actually, we plan to let people choose how they want their fascia(s) shipped.

I was more making a joke for Tony. "Alien Sourced" led to a long turn around time. Which led to the idea that shipping would be expensive. Which, in turn, led to a funny little scene in my head between me and a clerk with UPS, telling her that the shipment would be in AU not miles. Etc....

AU = Astronomical Unit

1 AU = 149,597,870.691 kilometer

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 12/01/2005 02:49

1 AU = 149,597,870.691 kilometer

Is that at aphelion, perihelion, or is it perhaps the mean distance?

tanstaafl.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 12/01/2005 07:52

Quote:

Is that at aphelion, perihelion, or is it perhaps the mean distance?

tanstaafl.

mean
Posted by: frog51

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 13/01/2005 20:47

ROTFL!
Posted by: schofiel

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 14/01/2005 18:18

Yeah, but Rob, that's because you're a known international terrorist, and the Dept. of Ho-land Security (you know the thread I'm talking about) is intercepting your mail.

If you still need an adaptor, let me know.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 14/01/2005 20:07

No, that's me, not Rob!

Cheers
Posted by: Dviant

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 15/01/2005 19:48

If they do see the light of day, Webroach, I would *love* to have one for my Empeg as well.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 15/01/2005 20:46

Quote:
If they do see the light of day, Webroach, I would *love* to have one for my Empeg as well.

Not a problem. As I said, this isn't a matter of "if", but a matter of when. The parts are currently being cut. And there won't be a limited supply; we'll produce as many as there is a demand for. There will, however, be about a 3 week turn around on each batch.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/01/2005 03:20

Good Deal. I'm a patient guy.

BTW, No chance to get the anno beadblasted is there?

I can always take it to a local service to get that done, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Either way thanks for setting this up!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/01/2005 04:59

Quote:
BTW, No chance to get the anno beadblasted is there?

Actually, earlier in the thread there are photos (albiet not very good ones) showing red, blue and black sample plates, each in brushed, bead-blasted and DA finishes.

We'll happily combine any color we end up offering with any surface finish (ie. brushed, bead-blasted, polished, etc.) assuming there isn't some problem with a particular combination.

Quote:
Either way thanks for setting this up!

You're very welcome! I'm just glad I 'm going to be able to give something back to the community. It's always given me a lot, so it's only fair.
Posted by: peakmop

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 18/01/2005 01:40

It would be nice to have an ordering page of some kind where all of the faces are pictured, similar to the NewFace page.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 18/01/2005 03:24

Quote:
It would be nice to have an ordering page of some kind where all of the faces are pictured, similar to the NewFace page.

As has been noted in this thread, that is already the plan as soon as we get the finished units back from being cut / milled / finished.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/01/2005 01:54

Ok, good news!

Just talked to Brandon on the phone, and the water cutting company dropped off the cut blanks for the fascias. He says they look great. We're getting together tomorrow, so I should be able to post pictures tomorrow evening.

Remember, these are just the blanks. We need to make sure everything is ok, then they'll need to be milled to put the final details in, as well as the voids on the back for the lens and the upper lip of the sled (those that are unbent). After that, we'll put different finishes on them to serve as samples. At that point, we'll start taking orders.

There's also a bit of a suprise in store, as one of the things we were working on has come through nicely. Anyhow, the pics tomorrow will show you all what we have.

We're getting much closer folks. Almost there.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/01/2005 23:54

Ok, Brandon and I had to postpone getting together until tomorrow, but I had him send me a scan of the fascia blank. It looks pretty good. You'll also want to note that there is more than a fascia in the picture...

Yep. We should have the handles ready at the same time as the fascias. It looks like we'll be offering people the option of buying the fascia with a matching handle or just the fascia, without the handle. We'd offer just the handle, but it would be cost prohibitive to produce them seperately, as there would be a lot of wasted metal stock. If a lot of people order fascias without handles (meaning we would have a surplus of handles), we might reconsider.

I'll try to post better pictures tomorrow...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 01:18

Okay, I think a want one (set). Gorgeous looking!

Can I have it chromed, please?

Cheers

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 02:17

Im definetly 100% in. Just wondering what are you able to "add on" to the fascias as in chroming and other stuff like that. If not the normal silver looks sweet.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 03:27

Mark, Qtqc, thanks for the kind words. Brandon and I are both quite happy with the quality of work from our cutter. It's good to see that others are happy with how things are coming..

Please remember that the example above is still in a fairly rough state, and there is a bit of work to be done on it yet. It still has to go to the shop to be machined. So the final product will be MUCH better, with a great deal more detail.

We also have a bit of engineering to do on the handle, as the blank for the handle currently doesn't have the detail necc. to attach it to the hinges. That should be completed very shortly.

This, of course, all comes after we take the time to make sure everything is right with the blanks. Brandon doesn't have an empeg (yet) so he can't test fit the blank. We'll do it when we get together, which as I said earlier should be tomorrow. I don't believe there should be any problems, though; we must have measured every feature of the fascia 100 times.

In the event that there are problems, we'll correct them and run another test batch. Believe me when I say our first concern is that everyone gets the best product we can possibly provide.

As for chrome finishing, Mark, we should be able to make it happen without problem. However, our guy doing the mechanical finishes says he can get a nearly chrome finish through polishing. I don't know off the top of my head which would be less expensive. Either way, we'll do any finish people want, if possible. The cost would, of course, be no more than our cost to have it done.

So that pretty much answers Qtqc's question, too, in a way. We have a ton of possible finish choices were working on, but I want to keep from giving specifics until I have a final word from the finishers.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 08:48

Nice! I'm sooo interested in a brushed alu set...
Posted by: BartDG

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 12:08

That looks absolutely gorgeous !! Very nice work ! can't wait to see the end result !!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 16:00

Quote:
That looks absolutely gorgeous !! Very nice work ! can't wait to see the end result !!

Agreed. Good job Webroach!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 18:45

Quote:
...Please remember that the example above is still in a fairly rough state, and there is a bit of work to be done on it yet...

If this is the rough state, I can only imagine what the final product would look like
Thanks webroach for giving us the best quality "aftermarket" empeg accessories
What about the pricing? Are you going to make a poll (like FireFox did with the buttons), or have more complicated marketing research done?
Posted by: genixia

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 20:43

Great stuff! I can't wait to see the finished article!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:26

Ok, so Brandon has brought over the test batch, and we've taken a few (incredibly amateurish) pictures for everyone.

This is the extent of the test batch, all together....

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:28

Ooooohhh.. . player porn!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:28

And a different angle on the batch....

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:29

Quote:
Ooooohhh.. . player porn!

Ok, now that was a bit ridiculous. That post wasn't up 10 seconds!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:30

A comparison between the original fascia and the new one....

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:31

A comparison of the thickness of the two fascias...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:32

The fascia blank (sort of) attached to my empeg...

The knob is installed, but the buttons are not. More on that in a minute...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:36

A few different angles on the fascia blank...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:37

Not amaturish in the least. That red backdrop is pretty cool, actually.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:37

And finally, a picture of the handle blank...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:39

Thanks FireFox! Very kind of you to say so, but I won't quit my day job to work as a photographer.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:54

So that's it for the moment. Here's the first thoughts Brandon and I have on where we're at...

1) The blanks look very good (thanks to our cutter), and are actually fairly light for being somewhat thick.

2) The blanks fit quite well on the empeg, the screw holes line up just right. They should allow a very small amount of adjustability to allow for slight variations in peoples empegs.

3) The blanks may be just a skosh too thick. We're gonna look at it and decide. If necc., we can take a bit of thickness off. It's hard to tell right now because, when "installed", the lens spaces it out a bit . This is because the void to hold the lens hasn't been milled yet.

4) We can't install the buttons yet, as the angle in the holes has yet to be milled. Hence the lack of buttons in the "installed" pic.

5) It may seem as if the screws are sticking out in the pic showing the fascia blank on my empeg. This is because they are , indeed, sticking out. We have to have the "countersink" area for the allen screw heads bored out when the unit is milled.

6) The notch for the handle (the one you use to raise the handle to remove it from its sled) needs to be added during milling. We didn't forget it. The angle on the back of the handle will be done at the same time.

7) Surface detailing, of course, still needs to be done.

8) Brandon has pointed out that we may have to change our plans as far as selling the fascia without the handle and vice-versa goes. The handle was designed with the new fascia in mind, with no thought to allowing a "mix-and-match" situation. Using the new handle with the stock fascia would look pretty bad. Likewise with using the new fascia with the stock handle. We'll give it some more thought, but neither of us think it would look right.

That's about all we can think of for the moment. We'll keep everyone updated as things progress. I know it has been a long wait, but we are getting there.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 22:57

I'm going to have to say that I was initially skeptical, but, right now, it looks excellent. I'll wait to see what the finished version looks like, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't tremendous. Keep up the good work, and I hope you make some money on it.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 22/01/2005 23:02

Quote:
I'm going to have to say that I was initially skeptical, but, right now, it looks excellent. I'll wait to see what the finished version looks like, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't tremendous. Keep up the good work, and I hope you make some money on it.

Thanks for the kind words, Bitt. And I have to say, both Brandon and I would be shocked if people hadn't been skeptical at first.

Right now, Brandon and I are just concerned with getting out a quality product while breaking even. If we make any profit, then that'll just be gravy, so to speak.
Posted by: Attack

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 23/01/2005 02:20

Maybe I should go back a read everything again, but since your making a new handle have you though about putting a small piece of rubber on the back of the handle to help stop it from rattling?
Posted by: julf

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 23/01/2005 14:32

Quote:
If this is the rough state, I can only imagine what the final product would look like

Actually, for my Land Rovers, the rough state might be better than the final product...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 23/01/2005 19:35

Quote:
Actually, for my Land Rovers, the rough state might be better than the final product...

If you wanted on in the rough state, Julf, we could do it. But we still have to wait until everything is finalized.

Who knows, maybe we can work up some kind of diamond plate front. (mostly kidding, but ya never know)
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 23/01/2005 21:43

Quote:

Bitt said it best. (Dammit.)

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 23/01/2005 23:29

Wahoo, progress! Looking good webroach, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 23/01/2005 23:29

I was curious are these faces going to have a bevel around the edges (in the front) when they are done or just straight regular edge?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 00:15

Quote:
I was curious are these faces going to have a bevel around the edges (in the front) when they are done or just straight regular edge?

The finished product will not have the straight edge when they're complete, unless someone specifically requests it.

Hopefully we'll have the first totally finished units ready in a week or two. These will be for examples, and we won't be selling them. We'll be posting images of them at that point, and will then be getting everything ready to take orders.

On that topic, what would be the preferred way for people outside the United States to make payment? I know that the rest of the world has left the dark ages and is no longer using checks / cheques. We'd really like to know what would work best for everyone.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 05:08

Quote:
[On that topic, what would be the preferred way for people outside the United States to make payment? I know that the rest of the world has left the dark ages and is no longer using checks / cheques. We'd really like to know what would work best for everyone.

IMO as buyer, CC directly is darn convenient - the seller is pretty exposed to scumbag buyers - hopefully a non-issue for the expected demographic, after that PayPal is also quite convenient. I know of the issues that has people disliking them, but so far I've had no problems. Direct transfer to an account is easy, but the charges at both ends usually make it rather unattractive...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 08:20

Quote:
IMO as buyer, CC directly is darn convenient - the seller is pretty exposed to scumbag buyers - hopefully a non-issue for the expected demographic, after that PayPal is also quite convenient.

Have to agree - credit card as first choice, PayPal as a good second.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 08:23

Quote:
If you wanted on in the rough state, Julf, we could do it. But we still have to wait until everything is finalized.

No problem with waiting, but yes, I might be interested in one or two in rough state. Do you need to know now?
Quote:

Who knows, maybe we can work up some kind of diamond plate front. (mostly kidding, but ya never know)

Woah, careful there. Don't get me started on people who spoil their nice Landies with checker plate, monster tires and crome footboards...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 08:49

Quote:

Woah, careful there. Don't get me started on people who spoil their nice Landies with checker plate, monster tires and crome footboards...

Hmmm, if your vehicle doesn't come stock with machinegun mounts, maybe those big alumin(i)um wings can substitute? At least for the rear MG...

I guess no underbody neon and Type-R stickers for you Julf?

Why can't I get this picture of a slammed pinkie with hugeass wing, neon, chromed spinner rims and plastered with stickers out of my head....

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 11:57

Im from Canada, I think Paypal would be a great payment option/

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 12:14

Quote:
Quote:

No problem with waiting, but yes, I might be interested in one or two in rough state. Do you need to know now?

Not at all. After we announce thet we're ready to sell, just let me know what you're interested in and we can get you taken care of. We'll be putting up a page with ordering info as well as contact info.

Quote:
Quote:

You know, it would be possible for us to put mounting points in for a wing at the top of the fascia if you want...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 12:19

Ok, so it looks like PayPal is they way people want to go, and would honestly be the best choice, I think, as we have no way to take credit cards directly. I, also, have used PayPal almost since they started, and have never had a problem with them. In fact, when I had a problem with an Ebay seller, they solved my problem quite rapidly and in a professional manner.

I'll have to get everything set up with them to take credit card payments and such. So I'll get working on that....

Don't worry though; if any of you outside the US wish to pay in another manner, please let me know when you decide what you're interested in. We'll be happy to work with people in any way we can.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 13:31

Quote:
Why can't I get this picture of a slammed pinkie with hugeass wing, neon, chromed spinner rims and plastered with stickers out of my head....

Well, visualize instead what kind of a subwoofer you can put into the back of the 101... and it has dual 24V alternators... Now if I can only find a Nato Green furry dice...
Posted by: tman

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 13:41

Quote:
I, also, have used PayPal almost since they started, and have never had a problem with them.

I've never had any problems with PayPal before but from I gather, all you need you to do is make sure you don't have huge amounts of cash in your account. Some people were keeping several thousand just lying around in their PayPal account and when it then got frozen they'd freak out. Keep it low and if PayPal do freeze your account then it's not the end of the world.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 13:50

Quote:
visualize instead what kind of a subwoofer you can put into the back of the 101... and it has dual 24V alternators...

Ahh, thank you - much better..
Quote:
Now if I can only find a Nato Green furry dice...

With black and brown dots...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 16:58

Just curious, any idea on price yet. I was just curious on an estimate for the normal version along with the polished. If you dont have a price yet thats cool.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/01/2005 20:11

This would be a fantastic project for the new powder-metallurgy damascus steel.

-Zeke
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 25/01/2005 01:51

Oooh... it's like the visuals spilled off the display onto the fascia.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 25/01/2005 03:27

Quote:
This would be a fantastic project for the new powder-metallurgy damascus steel.

-Zeke

Did they make that site before they invented color monitors?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 26/01/2005 02:10

Don't be silly. You know they outlawed color in Sweden.

-Zeke

Cool stuff though...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 26/01/2005 16:16

I was only millimeters away from taking a drink of iced tea. Glad I hadn't quite gotten there.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 03/02/2005 15:04

Just curious, any new info?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 02:47

Quote:
Just curious, any new info?

Not new info, per se. We're in a bit of a holding pattern for a few weeks. One of the partners at the machine shop doing our work (who are very good friends of Brandon) is very sick. I can't go into detail, as it isn't for me to talk about (I hope everyone understands) but Brandon said it's something related to cerebral blood clots, and it's terminal. Apparently the fellow doesn't have too long...

*sigh*

So, very sad times. We will be continuing, no worries. The shop is just running a bit slow right now as they try to get a handle on things. They're a small shop, very close knit, so this is quite a blow to them. But, as I said, this won't affect the fascias except to slow down production a bit. I'll update everybody in the next week or so.

Not that that's the important thing at the moment, but I know people wonder.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 14:29

Remind me to never, EVER, get involved in anything to do with the casting of buttons, facias, handles.. just seems to be a cursed activity.

All the best.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 17:02

Quote:
just seems to be a cursed activity.

I told you guys. You need to spill the blood of the original caster's firstborn into the casting mold, then the curse will be broken. Didn't you guys watch Pirates of the Caribbean? It's all spelled out there.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 17:43

You need to spill the blood of the original caster's firstborn into the casting mold...

Easy enough to do, I guess. But who's??? I would bet Rob's, based on his first person descriptions and choices in this article that he wrote for the geek site. If the caster has no children, will spilling the original caster's blood work?

Rob: We won't need much. Maybe a pint or two. We can always get you a refill pint at The Wrestler's (or an equivalent location).

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 17:52

Actually, folks, this isn't going to stop anything, as I've already said. The individual in question has nothing to do with our project. He is simply one of the owners of the shop. And the shop is just falling a bit behind because one of their owners / friends / a member of their family is going to die. Very soon. And they're all trying to deal with that fact.

As is he.

But, again, the project isn't cursed or offline in any way. Just backed up a bit (as in a week or two).

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 18:19

I know the project is still going on, and my condolences to your machinist and his family. It is just that projects involving the empeg fascia, buttons or even lenses seem somehow dangerous to those doing them.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/02/2005 18:31

I agree, it does seem that way.

Again, though, this person was in no way associated with this project. Simply one of the owners of the shop.
Posted by: bootsy

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 06/02/2005 19:02

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would like to chime in and say I am very interested in two sets of the black and one of the brushed... they look like they are coming along great.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 09/02/2005 19:35

Im really sorry to hear about your machinist. My condolences to his family.

Hopefully everything works out well with the fascias, Im looking forward to installing them when I take my car out for the spring in a couple months.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/02/2005 01:11

Thanks to everyone for the kind words to our shop's guy. I've passed them along to Brandon, who will further pass them on to him (and his family).

The fascia's are looking to get back on track in the next week, perhaps the week after.
Posted by: frog51

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/02/2005 14:00

Awww - reading this just made me feel a bit wistful and sad. Such promise
Posted by: petteri

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/02/2005 19:39

Quote:
Awww - reading this just made me feel a bit wistful and sad. Such promise

Yes, but how on earth did they expect that to fit into our dashboards!

Peter
Miami, FL USA

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/02/2005 21:07

Well, it is not that different from a stock PT Cruiser radio...
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 14/02/2005 02:00

Just wanted say that this looks great and I'll be one of many eagerly waiting for them to go on sale!

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/02/2005 21:58

I never seen that web site before, to bad it didn't work out.
Anyway, cant wait for the new Polished Fascias to be ready

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 18/02/2005 01:14

I may have something to show you fairly shortly then.

We're still in a little bit of a holding pattern, but Brandon told me yesterday that he's been doing a bit of a test with the polishing on one of our blanks. I'll see if I can get him over here for a picture of it ASAP.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 19/02/2005 00:54

Cant wait,

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 26/02/2005 21:27

Hey Webroach, any luck with those pics or any news on the progress. As you can tell Im really excited!
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 08:24

Great stuff, keep up the good work, I'll be interested in a couple sets..

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 14:14

Ok, first off, sorry about the lack of updates; school is, to put it simply, kicking my ass (18 credit hours of Japanese and Linguistics courses will do that to you). Also, not much had happened progress-wise.

Brandon just called and said some machine time had opened up at the shop. We're going to try to get in on it, and get the test fascias machined. After we do that, we'll have to make sure everything is right, then we can start taking orders.

I know this sounds like more of the same, and for that I'm genuinely sorry, but it's what I have. We have to make sure everything is 100% correct before asking anyone to exchange money for them.

Below is a (characteristically poor) photo of a very rough test polish Brandon did on one of the fascias. And yes, we both know that's the back he polished. Remember, it was a test. The final polished ones will be muchmore polished, if not simply chromed for simplicity's sake.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 14:18

Also, I want to thank everyone for their kind words about our work. It's very much appreciated, and it's very encouraging to know people are interested and excited.

Another little bit of good news I forgot to mention is that handles look to be coming along well, and should be available at the same time as the fascias.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 14:31

Are the mounting screws countersunk in the face, as per the original fascia, or do they project fully on the surface?

cheers

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 15:07

No worries, they'll be completely countersunk. Well, flush with the surface, anyways. That feature has to be machined, as the water-cutting process is unable to do a depth cut. So the holes you see are actually very close to the diameter of the mounting screw shaft.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 15:07

Webroach, Firstly you dont have to appologize about anything, I think everyone appreciates the work you and your friend put in.
Secondly, the fascia's look awesome, as I said tons of times already, I cant wait for the finished product.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 16:00

Quote:
Webroach, Firstly you dont have to appologize about anything, I think everyone appreciates the work you and your friend put in.
Secondly, the fascia's look awesome, as I said tons of times already, I cant wait for the finished product.

Yeah. What he said. Don't appologize, and thanks for the hard work. I couldn't put it better myself.

Matthew

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/02/2005 17:33

When you first messaged me about this I decided it would be ready when it's ready. I know all about getting busy and how long even labours of love can take. Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing it installed in my car when it's finally done.

Bruno

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 02/03/2005 14:43

Quick machining terminology note: the holes for the socket head cap screws are counterbored, not countersunk. Countersunk means the bottom of the larger diameter hole would not be flat, counterbored means that it will be flat. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but if you tell a machinist countersink that hole, you just might get what you asked for, and then you would not be happy!

-Zeke

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 02/03/2005 17:45

Quote:
I'm not trying to be pedantic....

Wouldn't mind if you were...

Either way, no worries; the shop is going off of the CAD files we've provided, not off my sloppy terminology (thankfully).

I do have good news, though. I'm going to the shop this Friday with my player, and by the time I leave, I should have a completed prototype, all details included. And that would mean....

<insert drumroll>

That we would be only one small step away from sales. We want to be able to show people what the finishes look like, so we'll wait till we get the prototypes back from the plater to open sales. But I'll post photos of the first one finished before plating.

We're getting quite close now.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 02/03/2005 18:36

Webroach, thats great news. Any info on pricing yet or is it to early to tell?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 03/03/2005 03:58

Quote:
Any info on pricing yet or is it to early to tell?

I realize it's got to be a pain in the ass for everyone not having a price yet, but I just think it's best to wait until we know exactly how much production costs are before we quote a price. That way we don't charge more than we need to, and we also don't have to say "Ooops! It's gonna be more than we said..."

That being said, it should be comparable to what 303 was charging. But that's off the top of my head. It won't be crazy either way. Hopefully, we'll be able to supply a product that will be worth much more than the sticker price.

We've really tried to keep an ear to the community to see what people wanted, and I hope we can deliver just that; what everyone wants.

I'll try to snap some photos at the shop on Friday, too. I'm actually really excited, because only Brandon and I know what the finished product should look like, as compared to the fairly rough state everyone has seen so far...
Posted by: stuart555

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 03/03/2005 10:59

Sounds good - i'm interested in one too!
Posted by: ukengb

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 03/03/2005 13:44

Only just found out about this when my emails to 'NewFace' just bounced back. What did happen to that project?

However, with the std button shapes and the apparent support from us users, I hope this will not founder.

My interest would be in plain and black anodised, one of each. Brushed or polished, don't know. Need to see examples.

But what's the latest. Any pics of the finished product, final prices, on-line store, availability schedule?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/03/2005 05:34

Quote:
But what's the latest. Any pics of the finished product, final prices, on-line store, availability schedule?

Heh. You might want to give him a bit more than 8 hours from his latest post. Things aren't going to change that quick, and he'll keep us posted when they do. Besides... he's not a bot like tfabris.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/03/2005 14:54

Wasn't trying to hassle anybody, just excited to find that there's still a possibility of getting some decent fascias. Having waded through 18 pages of this thread I'd rather lost track of what was posted when. As a 'favorite' topic now I'll know when anything is added.

But what did happen to NewFace?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/03/2005 16:08

He stopped producing them claiming that he no loger had time for it. He did make a post to that effect instead of just fading away, though, so I don't think that anyone got screwed.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/03/2005 17:16

Quote:
Wasn't trying to hassle anybody

Heh, no worries. I didn't see it that way.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/03/2005 17:32

Ok, sort of a frustrating day. We got a lot figured out, but we didn't get to finish the units today. The biggest problem we're facing is the bottons. That's a complicated area on the fascia, and is proving maddeningy difficult to machine. Not impossible, just very difficult. We're going to have to order a special tool to do that area, it looks like. We may also be able to solve the problem via 3-axis water cutting. I'll update people as soon as I can.

Honestly, and I hate to admit this, it would really speed things up if someone were willing to offer up the CAD files of the original fascia / handle, or even just the button area. It would reduce the amount of trial and error we have to go through, and would also be worth a free fascia of that kind hearted person's choice.

But, either way, we'll march onward with this.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/03/2005 20:22

Actually, hold that thought. We may be ok. I'll update again as soon as I can, but we may have solved the problem.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 06/03/2005 14:56

The suspense is killing me. I think he's doing it on purpose. J/K

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 07/03/2005 17:06

Isn't the process/suspense part of the fun?

Keep us updated, I enjoy these techy soap-operas. Also makes interesting reading long after the fact for someone who joins this late and wants to find out how something "came to be."

Bruno

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/03/2005 07:50

Quote:
He stopped producing them claiming that he no loger had time for it. He did make a post to that effect instead of just fading away, though, so I don't think that anyone got screwed.

It's a shame he hasn't put anything on his website to that effect:-(

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/03/2005 17:06

One thing that occurs to me is how the inside edge is finished, i.e. the surrounding edge of the viewing port? On the OEM fascia this is heavily champfered (I presume to allow a greater viewing angle). Is the intention for these aluminium fascias to be similarly finished?

I think it might also look better that way (i.e. champfered), but if it is really square cut then it will mask some of the screen when viewed from an angle (which is often required in a vehicle).
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/03/2005 19:22

I "THINK" I still have the cad drawings from when I did this let me look around (once again "THINK" is the word you need to key in on.

I hope you finished it but I do think its funny that your design is ending up to look just like the one I did last year (my cost per item in 25 Unit Lots was 75 Each Unfinished or about 100 finished and shipped) I don't remember what the handle was costing me off the top of my head.

Quote:
Actually, hold that thought. We may be ok. I'll update again as soon as I can, but we may have solved the problem.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 08/03/2005 19:56

If nobody's volunteered, I hereby offer to be the official librarian for the CAD files. I have a full seat of Solidworks (the package the parts were designed in) and already have the buttons, thanks to Firefox31. What is the 'official' status of permission on using/editing/posting of these files?

-Zeke

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/03/2005 23:28

I dont wanna change the topic to much. But belezeebub what kind of fascia's did you make? you got any pics of the finished product
Posted by: andy

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 11/03/2005 09:00

There is a picture of his prototype right at the end of this thread:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post215726

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/03/2005 23:22

Nice looking fascia, to bad it didn't work out. Hopefully Webroach can get his off the ground, speaking of witch, Webroach any news?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/03/2005 00:12

Brandon is actually going to test the new version of our design file tomorrow or Friday. At least that's the current report from him.

This project has made me believe in the concept of the philosopher's stick.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 21/03/2005 23:26

Awesome, looks like the wheels are in motion. Keep us updated, you know Im desperatling waiting.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 04/04/2005 00:33

Webroach, any updates at all, Im going crazy over here. J/K
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 06/04/2005 17:44

Sorry I searched about 10 different SDLT tapes and I looks like I forgot the make a backup of the soild designer files

P.S. New Web Site up http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/
Posted by: Glen_L

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 20/04/2005 14:21

Any news?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 20/04/2005 14:38

Not much at the moment, other than to say that the project is not, in any way, dead. Not even wounded.

It's just a very busy time. Finals in Japanese and Linguistics are whupping my ass. Not to mention the other classes. Should be back to speed fairly soon though; school is done in 3 weeks.

BTW: Nice little emoticon.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 16/05/2005 23:42

Anything up?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/05/2005 00:06

I think the better question would be "How were the exam finals?"

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/05/2005 05:30

Quote:
I think the better question would be "How were the exam finals?"

Thanks much, that's precisely it. I bit off almost more than I could chew this past semester. Almost. Things got so stressful a few weeks ago that I actually lost it a little; did nothing for about a week but play Grand Theft Auto. Refused to do classwork....

Pulled through fine, though.

I hadn't had much time to get together with Brandon since last I posted updates, as he too was busy with school / finals. We were hoping to get together this past Wednesday, but that didn't really pan out. So we're shooting for next week.

The maddening thing about all this is that we've got very little left to go, prototyping-wise. The biggest problem we have is scheduling, in more ways than one. School has, obviously, been the meat of it. The other half is that our project takes low (read "zero") priority at the shop. They do HUGE runs, so from a financial standpoint, we're not on their radar. We're tryng to work with them to get off-hours time to get the prototypes done. Once we have those finished (and finished), we'll shoot a few to a number of people from the board for "field testing". We want real life feedback before committing the design to a large run.

So there you have it, as it currently stands. Sorry I haven't been better about keeping info updated. I'm only taking one class over the summer, so I'll have a lot more time to work on things like this.

I think I'm going to also need to buy a set of something blue from "He Who Breaks The Curse", too. You know, just to make sure we have the fit right.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 03/06/2005 02:35

Hey Dave, that's good news.
Once you are not too busy stealing cars on Grand Theft Auto this summer and get some prototypes for alpha testing, put me down on the testers list. I'll be disassembling my spare unit anyways for Patrick's memory board upgrade.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 05/07/2005 01:33

Anything new to report?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/07/2005 00:47

Be patient, it's not like we cannot live without fascias.
We survived without lit buttons for years, though now I'll probably be quite miserable without them

By the way, webroach, anything to report?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 10/07/2005 09:32

Of a sort... There are a few details in another thread.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 24/10/2005 02:43

I'm guessing that this project is still alive. I know that the other metal fascias are taking all the hype, but I'm still very much interested in having a fascia that accepts original buttons. Not that I'm not interested in the other fascia also
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 25/10/2005 03:42

I'm also interested in a new fascia that accepts the original buttons. It would be great to hear how the project is coming along. Being an empeg owner does teach you patience. These projects do take time.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 26/10/2005 20:14

Quote:
These projects do take time.

Very true, they do take time. Ironically, what takes the most time is finding the time to work on them. School, as always, is a real time-suck.

As it stands right now, I don't know where the project is. I really don't want to put any more money in it if Speedy has designs (pun intended) on putting out a standard button version of his fascia. Just wouldn't make sense, and he would, I imagine, be able to put his out more quickly. If Speedy has no plans of doing this, I'll keep crawling forward.

That being said...

WOW. I am SOOOOO buying one of Speedy's NewNewFace fascias as soon as they're available.

Just... wow.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 28/10/2005 23:08

What would be awesome is having your button cutouts on Speedy's Newnewface along with a set of black buttons from Firefox31. <Homer>Aaaarrrggghhh</Homer>

I'll come back and check this forum once I've had a cold shower followed by a meeting with my bank manager.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 02/11/2005 19:34

Could someone post a link to Speedy's new fascia?

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 03/11/2005 05:59

Nothing official that I know of, but look here and here.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2005 21:38

Don't forget something here: the "world" happened over the time that both of you have been working on this project, independently.

Thomas was actually unaware that you were working on your version. When I spoke to him only a week or so back, he was quite bothered by the fact that two people have put a lot of effort into doing something that is essentially the same, but with a limited market. There isn't a hell of a lot of room for two fascia projects - but I sure hope so: what I hope is that they complement each other, and find their own independent niches and sell to different people.

No doubts here: having watched Patrick hatch two "sure fire winners" for the empeg, he has lost money, suffered agonies getting it out the door, been messed about on "definite" orders that weren't, all sorts of problems that we shouldn't really go into, I know for certain that there is no money in this at all. My minor contributions to the empeg player are trivial compared to what this guy - and others - have done.

So to cut to the chase - if you are thinking of doing anything relating to empeg as an add on, or (in mine, and possibly Stuart's experience) repair work, then you are not in it for the money/profit/fame - bollocks to that! You are going to make a loss, it's that simple. You have to do it out of sheer altruism for the community here.

Each year, I agonise over running the empeg owner's meet. Each year, I sweat, panic, palpitate, work hard, grind, panic, panic, panic, sweat. Why? Because in the end, no matter how much hassle the event was, I end up with a great feeling that I have done something good for my friends. I see people come over from the states, from GNW*, and they go home with a grin in spite of the fact that I have spent the weekend worrying about how much it will cost them for what is in the end, a glorified pissup.

Every time I get in a repair from someone whose power supply has released "the blue smoke of life" I panic because if I can't fix it, then the owner is going to have such a big hole in their lives that it won't be easy to fill it again (luckily I have not had a failure yet - but the chance is there ).

So, after all this rambling, what's the point of the story?

If you are going to do this fascia, then you have 100% encouragement from me. I can't guarantee that I am going to buy one: I can't promise you will make a profit: but I certainly think that if you come over to a user meet to show off your wares, then you will get my personal support and promotion: you will have the chance of selling some of the babies you have spent so much time working on: maybe you will even make some money. You won't get your costs back: you won't be famous and win an Oscar - but guess what: you will be known inside this community, and respected for what you have done.

So, in no particular order:

Darkstorm lenses - prized by their owners, even if Steve isn't around to know it.
Mach - lenses, ultra-violet LEDs and a beautiful front panel, plus mini models in clay.
Patrick - the tuner module and the memory expansion board - plus he DESIGNED the bloody thing in the first place!
Stuart - the SPDIF boards, cables, repairs, parts - the works
Tim Linke - the original NewFace
Thomas (speedy67) - picked up the colour and ran with it
Yourself (webroach) - for having done something similar
Mark Lord - for the HiJack kernel, and the Docks
Frank van Gestel - for the original remote control app for empeg
Paul Harrington - for setting up this BBS
Tom (drakino) - for taking over the board and putting up with death threats!
Tony Fabris - for the Logo editor and for the BEST EVER FAQ IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE
Hugo Fiennes - for coming up with the idea in the first place
Mike Crowe - for sitting up sending me updates for my Mk 1 at 2AM, for goodness sakes!
Toby Duckworth - for producing the visible face of the empeg, the visuals (and he still won't accept that it was good work!)
Peter - oh, Peter - for all those good builds!
Dave English - for producing the last ever software build we are going to see
John Graley - too numerous to mention - but the Auto EQ just blows me away
Rob Voisey - for holding the whole thing together in the face of insanity
Paul Grzelak - for sheer generosity
Rob Riccardeli - for just being cool
skunknumber1 - animated logos

- aw, hell, the lot of you!

You lot, you idiots - for making this place a worthwhile place to visit. You are all my friends, even though I've not met you yet. There's always next year's meet

I am missing a lot of people here, I know: it is late at night. Do me a favour people, and complete this honour roll yourselves because my memory is not infallible - there are other people who need their names here. Maybe we should have "empegs" each year, like the Oscars (TM)). If I have missed your name, it is because I have a bad memory, not because I am slighting you.

At the empeg meet this year I lost my temper for reasons we do not need to go into. The primary drive behind what I said at the meeting was a sense of frustration, and also sadness at what I perceived was happening here on this board: the gradual dwindling of support and enthusiasm.

Sure, we've said everything we can say. We've made all the things we can make - for the empeg. But who knows? And why stop? My message was - since this is a group of friends, then we should all make the strongest effort to ensure that this community continues. To do this, we must *all*, regardless of the pain and effort, continue to make this community grow. Without goals and without enthusiasm, the future of this board, and the empeg player, is in the end - oblivion. Without growth, an organism dies. Without a sense of what the future can bring, there is no expectation, or motivation, to continue. My message at the meet was: All of you who attend - I want you to go away and spread the message of enthusiasm and comradeship. I want you to inspire. I want you to drive on. I want you to - dammit, make front panels, moulded buttons, new handles, illumination kits, SPDIF boards - whatever! But keep doing it. If there remains passion, then there will remain a community.

This summer, I am committing to setting up the very BEST ever empeg owner's meet. I want YOU to be there. I want YOU to put in the effort to bring the Best Install. I want YOU to bring along your cool project, no matter how much it cost you in money and effort. I want YOU to put in the effort, because this community is worth it.

Go for it!

* GNW: God Knows Where.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 17/11/2005 22:39

Thanks also to:

Mike Schrag for JEmplode
Tony Cebzanov for Emphatic
Rob Riccardeli for Black Sleds
Brian Mihulka for Original Buttons
Firefox31 (Chris?) for newer buttons.
Christian (Shonky) for a short run of extra sled harnesses
Mark Cushman for Palantir

and the list goes on...

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 18/11/2005 00:59

Aw, shucks, thank you.

Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias - 19/11/2005 00:19

Amen. No fame or fortune, but it is kind of cool filling orders in 10 different countries all around the world.

Quote:
and find their own independent niches and sell to different people.

I've abandon my idea for New*Face / MKI colored buttons. So, if you want colored lit buttons with an aluminum fascia, webroach's are the way to go.

Bring 'em on, I can't wait.