"Force Check"

Posted by: dionysus

"Force Check" - 19/04/2000 16:47

I can't count the number of times I've told myself, "ok, just one more sync" right before running out the door, just to get the disk checking to slow me down...

So here's my addition to the wish list pile: a "force check" checkbox in the emplode sync dialog box which would force a disk check when you have spare time... that way, if I know I have time to spare, I can go ahead and check the disks, so that when I don't have time it doesn't sneak up on me..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units
Posted by: Henno

Re: "Force Check" - 20/04/2000 03:01

go ahead and check the disks, so that when I don't have time it doesn't sneak up on me..

Yes, this would be very welcome
May be emplode can also report its count when it's going to do the next check; e.g. a decreasing count of whatever triggers the check.

Henno
# 00120
Posted by: kim

Re: "Force Check" - 20/04/2000 04:05

go ahead and check the disks, so that when I don't have time it doesn't sneak up on me..

Yes, this would be very welcome
May be emplode can also report its count when it's going to do the next check; e.g. a decreasing count of whatever triggers the check.

Meanwhile, if you use developer image, just drop into shell and write e2fsck /dev/hda4.

- Kim

Re: "Force Check" - 20/04/2000 08:46

Meanwhile, if you use developer image, just drop into shell and write e2fsck /dev/hda4.

sure; but then you have people like me that dont' have spare serial ports on the computers they use:)
-mark

Posted by: tfabris

Re: "Force Check" - 20/04/2000 09:15

If you don't have a spare serial port, then how do you upgrade the software on your Empeg? (Although I agree that a "force check" option would be good for many reasons.)

And in a related question: Hugo, will we ever see a version of EmpegUpgrade that uses the USB port?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

Re: "Force Check" - 20/04/2000 10:38

If you don't have a spare serial port, then how do you upgrade the software on your Empeg? (Although I agree that a "force check" option would be good for many reasons.)

I usually unplug one device to upgrade it; but that's an inconvenience to do just to run chkdsk:)
-mark

Posted by: altman

Re: "Force Check" - 20/04/2000 10:40

Possibly in the future, yes, though there will still be no way to recover from a totally toasted kernel except by using serial.

(translation: I'm not writing a USB driver in assembler which fits in the boot block ;) )

Hugo