Star Wars Visual

Posted by: Taym

Star Wars Visual - 24/12/2001 17:55

I know, maybe not original, but I'd like to have a starfield visual where the song title and athor slide in perspective from front to back, as in the famous Star Wars beginning lines...
Posted by: djdrock

Re: Star Wars Visual - 04/01/2002 22:40

Now this is a great idea. I would love to see this as well!
Posted by: frog51

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 05:40

definitely a good idea - and also have the reverse, coming from the far distance so it gives the feel of driving over the words. That would be nice.
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 13:10

How about a visual that looks like a stereotypical racing game racetrack. When the music is loud on the left, the road swerves to the left, etc. :-D FFT the music and use it to generate potholes, dogs running across the road, etc.

Calvin
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 13:41

How about a visual that looks like a stereotypical racing game racetrack. When the music is loud on the left, the road swerves to the left, etc. :-D FFT the music and use it to generate potholes, dogs running across the road, etc

That would be KING! And when the tempo speeds up the "car" could drive faster. Wow. Wow, wow, wow that would be an impressive visual.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 13:43

Better yet, have the car crash and burn ala Pole Position when the song is over!

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 13:45

Need I mention the roller coaster with dynamically generated loop-de-loops and humps based on the music?

Or does anyone remember the old Star Wars arcade game? The one wih the four things sticking out that fire laser beams at a target in the middle? Can you picture a slight modification to the stars visual...? When the music gets very exciting, little tie fighters flit to and fro to the beat and eventually get smited down?

I would like to see the timeshade 128 done properly as a side scroller with standard music notation. Doesn't have to be correct.

Calvin

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 13:47

Better yet, have the car crash and burn ala Pole Position when the song is over!

I like it. A lot.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/01/2002 13:47

I could consider listening to 2 Unlimited's "Maximum Overdrive" to that visual...

/Michael
Posted by: genixia

Re: Star Wars Visual - 28/02/2002 23:32

I want a Manic Miner visual!!!

Re: Star Wars Visual - 04/03/2002 08:44

Yup - either roller coaster with the bumps generated from (probably smoothed) waveform, or curves in a track.

Nice idea.

Re: Star Wars Visual - 04/03/2002 17:41

I'd like to see visuals that look like classic video games.

Like Defender, or Zaxxon, or Dig Dug, Boulder Dash, Marble Madness, etc. All the action completely synchronized to the music!

Calvin
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Star Wars Visual - 04/03/2002 19:55

I think we talked about MAME on the player once. Seems doable.
Posted by: dclesse

Re: Star Wars Visual - 05/03/2002 02:45

what about a lightgun interface? ;-)
Posted by: rob

Re: Star Wars Visual - 05/03/2002 04:37

Well.. we do have SDL in our sourcebase (used in Rio Central)

Rob
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Star Wars Visual - 05/03/2002 10:43

How about a boxer on the left and a boxer on the right- or just one boxer. And the faster the music the more frequent the punches, and the louder the music gets the quicker he punches. He could do jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts...... And if the two boxers option would be possible, then you could watch them fight. Left vs. Right!

Re: Star Wars Visual - 05/03/2002 13:35

hint. hint! :-D

Calvin
Posted by: prolux

Re: Star Wars Visual - 06/03/2002 09:04

Guys - not really much of a stars wars visual anymore is it?

So we've got song title and artist perspectivising back into the distance, probably with some sort of starfield to reinforce the idea of motion. Then we've got the text reversing and coming out of the screen to give the idea of driving over the words. Now the words become a racetrack that moves from left to right with the music, and FFTs are used to generate automatic potholes and dogs running across the road with each hi-hat hit. Then if that's not enough as the music gets really exciting, not only does the car speed up, but random fighting stickmen throw themselves into the road to join in the fun, the whole thing becomes a sound generated roller coaster, and finally the stickmen become boxers and fight each other to the death at which point the track ends and the imaginary vehicle in which we have been travelling over this bizarre scene bursts into flames before magically repairing itself in a split second ready to start the next track.

Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can throw together, but I think my dog algorithm is a little flakey at the moment.

T
Posted by: genixia

Re: Star Wars Visual - 06/03/2002 09:31

You've forgotten Manic Miner!

Re: Star Wars Visual - 06/03/2002 09:34

I think it would be appropriate to name this hypothetical visual "Bad Acid Trip."
Posted by: rob

Re: Star Wars Visual - 06/03/2002 11:36

I don't know, it sounds like quite a good one to me.

Besides, we already have too many visual names related to that particular recreational activity.

Rob

Re: Star Wars Visual - 06/03/2002 12:34

I mentioned Zaxxon and Defender type space ships as well, so there would have to be space ships flying across the top of the screen getting blown up and dropping innocent people from a mile up onto the ground.

Please please please make this visual!!! :-D

Calvin
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Star Wars Visual - 06/03/2002 15:56

How about you just code in the whole star wars movie- along with the soundtrack, of course.
Posted by: rbenech

Re: Star Wars Visual - 07/03/2002 18:03

The whole movie - Just port ASCII art... http://www.asciimation.co.nz/
Posted by: dclesse

Re: Star Wars Visual - 11/03/2002 17:36

Looks like the next X-Box game ;-)
Posted by: Taym

Re: Star Wars Visual - 12/03/2002 05:48

I would say the trilogy, plus Episode I and, why not? Episode II, which would make empeg extremely popular! Prolux, what about emailing George Lucas and ask for a pre-release of Episode II's script?
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Star Wars Visual - 12/03/2002 12:53

my god, peopel are overly obsseive with star wars.. and have way too much time.. anyways.. the visual dose sound cool.. just scroll all the info stuff with stars in the background.. im always game for new visuals
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: Star Wars Visual - 16/03/2002 11:56

for me, (this is OFF Topic) , but the best Georges Lucas Film is his First THX 1138 !!!!

Re: Star Wars Visual - 20/03/2002 04:49

As MAME is my favourite games package ever, I'd really love to see this. Okay, the screens would have to be flattened to fit on to the empeg and the buttons may take a bashing, but how cool!
Posted by: andym

Re: Star Wars Visual - 20/03/2002 07:01

In reply to:

for me, (this is OFF Topic) , but the best Georges Lucas Film is his First THX 1138 !!!!

I can wholeheartedly agree with that...

Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Star Wars Visual - 21/03/2002 21:15

By George Lucas film, do you just mean the ones he's directed? If so, you'll get no argument from me, but remember that that list is very small.

THX-1138
American Graffiti
Star Wars
Star Wars: Episode 1
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: Star Wars Visual - 23/03/2002 04:26

Yes, I mean Directed (not produced), because the indicated movie (THX 1138) is a very good Auhor Film with a real Story. (kind of 1984).

It is a student film, with no means but was promising ....
(THX is interpreted by the yoiung Robert DUVALL)

I think G Lucas tok the rong way of Commercial movies and could have do better things ...(He created ILM, that is a good thing.)

Even if there are many 3D animations in the new Star Wars trilogy, that don't make it a good movie.

I can just applause the work done in the episods 4,5,6 on the side of animation ...

All was made by Hand (Many hours to have a robot movement of 10 seconds).

I noticed that many Star Wars Fans, don't even know THX 1138 movie that gave the famous sound Standard from ILM.

It's Off Topic , sorry.