Random Image Pan

Posted by: justinlarsen

Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 02:25

Hijack again maybe? i think it would be neat to see a random image pan, similar to hwo the flancedace was setup in an earlier version of hijack.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 10:18

This would be cool, I agree. I have several different images I would like to cycle for Image Pan.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 10:19

Any word on an Image Pan gallery?

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 13:04

wow it might happen, if tonys all for it. Its weird how the machine works on this forum.

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 14:27

I have no more influence on the feature set than anyone else on the alpha team. I've been shot down more often than you know.

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 14:46

hehe, but you have probably suggested more things that i know as well..
Posted by: visuvius

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 18:30

ANyone wanna share any of the they're Image Pan pics. I havn't gotten a very successful one yet and i'd like to see what they look like?

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 20:37

what kind of car do you have? i might have one with a picture of it.. or just nmame about any pioctuer and ill get you a great image pan of it.. link a pictuer if u will

Re: Random Image Pan - 01/04/2002 21:20

Wow, cool. I have a Yellow 91 Toyota Mr2.

Re: Random Image Pan - 02/04/2002 00:39

here you go

Re: Random Image Pan - 02/04/2002 00:41

im assuming you know how to get it onto the empeg, if not ill help you out there

Re: Random Image Pan - 02/04/2002 14:07

ha ha ha! right on man, thanks. The funny thing is, i was looking for that same picture that you randomly picked! Its off of some guys Mr2 page i think. Thanks, i appreciate it.

Re: Random Image Pan - 02/04/2002 14:11

oh, didn't see your second post. I've asked Tony before on how to send it files and he pointed me to the faq. I looked over it, but i think i'm gonna need some help.
Posted by: dcosta

Re: Random Image Pan - 02/04/2002 22:53

I've got a navy blue 2002 honda accord 4-door
can you make me a graphic.
Actually what I was looking for was a boot logo that featured a picture of my car,
but this image pan thing is cool...

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 10:16

This one should be easy... but I'd like one of a generic (Detroit preferably!) overhead map! It would be cool to have it zig and zag around the surface of the map as I drive! Like a pseudo navigation system. Would be super cool if Toby could have a little cross hair float around independantly too! Other maps like NYC, London etc would rock. Maybe we could make a Cambridge one too.

(Is there a "how to" on installed the editor? I understand the grey scale thing, and have made plenty of bootlogos, but I've never played with RAW files).

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 11:02

A map scan is a cool idea for an image pan visual, that would be fun. I'll have to try that sometime.

Instructions on creating the image pan visual are here.

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 11:46

Thx Tony.

I'm running into a little problem.. (I hope it is little). I saved an escher.raw file with the editor, but it saved it as escher.RAW instead of escher.raw. I uploaded it fine. Now, when I tried to view it, the player hung and exited to the shell prompt. I re-booted. Now, it keeps rebooting and rebooting upon loading the visual (says file not found).... Is there anyway to get it to NOT boot to the visual so that I can have time to hit "q" and rename the .RAW into a .raw?

Why did the editor save as RAW and not .raw? Is it my Win2k?

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 12:06

Well that was scarey! My empeg kept rebooting over and over! I could get into HiJack, and tried fooling with the Restore Visuals settting to see if I could make the unit NOT want to load Image Pan, but that wouldn't work. So, I kept hitting "q" over and over but that didn't work. What finally DID work was a few "ctrl-c"'s. That got me to the shell prompt. I then replaced the escher.RAW with escher.raw (too bad I don't know the rename command).

Anyway, it is very cool! I've attached the Detroit image pan. I would like to inverse the white and black so ou don't see scan lines, but doing a simple "negative" will also invert the greys... Anyone know a simple fix?

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 12:21

Doing a simple "negative" effect on the image worked! (And this time I remembered to crop out the "Mapquest" logo). Attached is the white on black Detroit Map image pan.

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 12:37

Who's a post whore? Meeeeee!!!!!!!

Here is a map of Cambridge for the empeg team! And get this: It is a map of all the local pubs! And get THIS: The map was from the Cambridge City Counsel site! That's public service!

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 13:36

As you've already figured out, the Linux file system is case-sensitive.

I'll emphasize that text in the FAQ, thanks.

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 13:38

Tony, while you are at it, could you put a warning that the "rwm" command can take several minutes? Back in the 1.02 days, I didn't know that and thought my player had locked up. I unplugged it and found out much later that I had to do a fskdsk to fix it.

EDIT: Damn I'm having fun with this! I have a few more "pans" and would love a gallery. On a side note, is this msg a bad thing?

In reply to:

Starting player

player.cpp : 385:empeg-car 2.00-beta11 2002/02/08.
Prolux 4 empeg car - 2.1434 Feb 7 2002
Vcb: 0x408a3000
hijack_tone_init completed.
! mp3_decoder.cpp :1049:Failed to find valid sync after seeking to offset 1696
543, error=0xc0044000

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 13:51

On a side note, is this msg a bad thing?

ROGER OR SOMEBODY, PLEASE REMOVE THAT DEBUG MESSAGE FROM THE NEXT BETA, I AM REALLY GETTING TIRED OF ANSWERING THAT QUESTION OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 13:58

Doing another search..... my appologies

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 14:03

It's not in the FAQ because I keep assuming they're going to remove that message from the next beta, and I also keep assuming that the next beta will be soon.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 14:42

Tony, while you are at it, could you put a warning that the "rwm" command can take several minutes

There's a thread somewhere about adding a "nocheck" parameter to the rwm
script (it's a plain text file, not a binary) so that it doesn't do the check unneccessary.
Here's a post about exactly how to do it.

/Michael

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 14:45

Heehee looks like it was me complaining about it in another thread too!
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 14:53

Heh, didn't notice...

Time to do the edit then?

FWIW, I've had the change for quite a while now, without any trouble...

/Michael
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 15:44

too bad I don't know the rename command
mv

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 15:48

Thanks Bitt.

Would the sytax be:

mv escher.RAW escher.raw

?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Random Image Pan - 03/04/2002 15:50

Yup. (mv is short for move, by the way. Unix guys go out of their way for brevity.)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Random Image Pan - 04/04/2002 01:04

Dude, I like the map idea. Perhaps a map mode could be implemented in Hijack, where you select a map from a list and then scroll up, down, left, right, with the remote. You could map all the highways in your state, or all the Bank One's or whatever. That would be too cool.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Random Image Pan - 04/04/2002 01:19

In reply to:

and then scroll up, down, left, right, with the remote. You could map all the highways in your state, or all the Bank One's or whatever. That would be too cool.

Hmmm. Maybe then those people with the GPS project could make it so that the movements of the car coresponded to the movements of the map so you could see a map of where you are on the screen of the empeg. :-)

Matthew

Re: Random Image Pan - 04/04/2002 05:21

You guys should load up the ones I made. They are fun to drive to! Like a pseudo navigation system that moves to the beat of the music!

Re: Random Image Pan - 04/04/2002 12:52

HA! I loaded up the second map that you made and it looks really neat. If only we could scroll around though. Would you be able to make me one of Huntington Beach, Ca? (92646)