Expandability

Posted by: muzza

Expandability - 26/07/1999 13:53

I can't wait for all the peripheral devices which will spin off the player!
Using the serial port, there could be video controllers, playlist PDA editors, interaction with alarm systems, device support for CD players... The list goes on.

The creativity which the car audio industry has shown in the past few years and the diversity of installations will be enhanced.

Anyone not share this?

Posted by: PaulWay

Re: Expandability - 03/08/1999 18:50

I've thought of another use for the digital outs:

How many professional amplifiers out there have digital ins? I know Clarion do a whole range where the amplifiers take their own digital bus as well as analog, and do the D/A conversion as close to the speakers as possible. While I'm sure the large companies won't give out the specs for free (believing, falsely, that they can make more money by keeping it proprietary - the Microsoft Tactic) there's probably someone out there who makes these things that could be swayed by three thousand audiophile car owners with money to burn...

Don't just toy with it, seriously damage something!

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Expandability - 05/08/1999 14:57

Did I miss something? What digital outs? I got an e-mail a few months ago from someone at empeg in response to a question about digital outs, and they said it was under consideration for a future model. There ARE car amplifiers with digital inputs out there (I don't remember brands or models, but saw the brochure at my stereo shop) and I would be most interested in a digital output option on empeg.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"
Posted by: PaulWay

Re: Expandability - 12/08/1999 22:43

Sorry - got carried away there. I was thinking initially of the serial out, and now realise that it won't have the bandwidth to support any digital wave output in stereo (realistically, that is).

OK, just shoot me in the head.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.