search by decade

Posted by: JBjorgen

search by decade - 13/05/2002 16:41

I'd be very nice to be able to play all songs in a specific decade (determined by looking at the year in the ID3 tag.)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: search by decade - 13/05/2002 16:50

You can do a specific year already, that's built-in.

"By decade" isn't a default feature, but it's pretty easy to set up a few by-decade playlists in Emplode. It only takes a minute. If you wanted, you could even assign the pin "1980" to your "80's" playlist for example.
Posted by: dcosta

Re: search by decade - 13/05/2002 17:15

And don't forget those Wendy filters.......
Kind of a pain in the buttocks; Marking all tracks,
but EXACTLY what you are looking for.
You could just <down>,<down>,<down> (or whatever selection you want)
then filter out everything but a certain decade.
Actually maybe not such a pain,
Jemplode might do this nicely in Soups by year.

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 09:47

In reply to:

You can do a specific year already, that's built-in.

"By decade" isn't a default feature, but it's pretty easy to set up a few by-decade playlists in Emplode

Thanks...I do know about both of these methods. I realize that it is easy to setup decade playlists, but the ease is not the issue...it's the time involved. Several thousand tracks spread widely over several decades. Many of these are "one-hit-wonders" so I'd have to do it one track at a time rather than an album at a time.

It's hard enough to try to keep all the ID3 info current without having to sort and create large playlists and then keep them current every time I update my empeg.

I posted it as a wish, not because I couldn't do it with a bit work, but because it seems as if it wouldn't be that difficult to implement (yeah yeah...I know...it's never as easy as it seems), and because this is the forum to voice wishes

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 09:51

You wouldn't have to do it one track at a time (or even one album at a time). Just select "all tracks" in the soup view, and sort by year...

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 09:52

In reply to:

And don't forget those Wendy filters.......

thanks dcosta, I guess I'll give that a try since that is very close to what I'm looking for....*sigh*

/me goes to adjust mp3 info for a few hours

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 09:58

In reply to:

You wouldn't have to do it one track at a time (or even one album at a time). Just select "all tracks" in the soup view, and sort by year...

ah...how very astute...why didn't I think of that..
/me smacks self in head
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 10:03

It happens... hehe

I've been around this BBS for quite a while and I barely know how to use the remote!

Regardless of what approach you use (even if they rewrite the software for you) you will have to have your ID3 tags up to date.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 11:09

I realize that it is easy to setup decade playlists, but the ease is not the issue...it's the time involved. Several thousand tracks spread widely over several decades. Many of these are "one-hit-wonders" so I'd have to do it one track at a time rather than an album at a time.

Regardless of the number of tracks, it should only take about 60 seconds to create your decade playlists using the Search feature.
Posted by: Roger

Re: search by decade - 14/05/2002 11:25

Or you could use the Advanced search:

type="tune" and year >= 1970 and year < 1980

Posted by: cob666

Re: search by decade - 23/05/2002 05:58

I do this by using the PIN as the decade. It's also the FIRST search option so that makes it pretty convenient.

-c