I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut)

Posted by: DeadFire

I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 06/07/2002 19:26

I didn't want to have to start a thread for this... but I searched and searched and couldn't find it.

Sometime in the next 2 months my empeg will be installed and become my new (and only) head unit. I'm trying to find a feature that I've had in my last two. I want a single button press to cut the volume in half, not mute, and not pause playback. Another press of the same button should restore it to the previous volume. Whether it jumps back up or fades up slowly I don't care.

I have been in other people's cars and can't stand it when a song is paused during coversation so that people are easier to hear. I'd much rather have the song continue at a lower volume, and be able to restore it quickly afterwards.

I feel almost sure that someone has asked for this before but I just couldn't find it. A little help please?
Posted by: mlord

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 06/07/2002 19:40

How would this feature differ from the existing "hush" feature (longpress of Play/Pause on remote, or use Hijack to map it to the front panel)?

The Hush is programmable in Emplode as to how little/much it drops volume by.

??

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 06/07/2002 19:52

I had thought that this feature existed in newer version of the software, also, but forgot to mention that thought in my post. I am using 1.03 until I'm finished ripping my CDs; a long press of Play/Pause on the remote does nothing.

I will be upgrading to 2b11 and Hijack once I have finished my ripping.

So, I assume that the exact feature I want exists in newer versions of the software, correct? If so, then my problem will solve itself when I'm done with my CDs.

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 06/07/2002 19:57

Yup it's there already.

And there's little point in waiting to upgrade.. running 1.03 will only mean that your uploads to the player take twice as long than they would if you upgraded immediately (assuming you're using ethernet; all bets are off for USB even working..).

Cheers

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 06/07/2002 20:19

I understand that the uploads will take longer... but even Tony (tfabris) has agreed with me that for initial population of the player, i.e. several gigs of music in one transfer... 1.03 is more reliable. I don't want to have to do several smaller syncs just to make sure it works, not initially, anyway
Posted by: tfabris

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 06/07/2002 22:54

You could always install 2.0b11 and mess with it, then downgrade to 1.03 just for the big transfer...

Or just do the transfer in a lot of small stages with 2.0b11, watching out for the player-fails-to-reboot bug and the don't-synch-twice-in-the-same-emplode-session bug.

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 06:45

I think that (nearly?) all of the v2beta bugs related to sync'ing were due to the Jiffies issue, that Hijack fixes.

I have used only v2beta to populate my current four players, and all went nice and smooth, in one big 18-22GB gulp each time.

The only grief I've ever had was in trying to upgrade from 1.03 to v2beta with music ALREADY installed. Ugh.. major database conversion hassles, definitely not worth a repeat by me or anyone.

Cheers

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 10:11

Odd, no one else has had problems upgrading from 1.03 to 2.0.

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 10:23

I have done the upgrade once before. And I thought it was what caused my power problems before. But in truth something was wrong with my AC adapter. Don't know how it happened. But for now I'll stick with 1.03 until the music is all in, like I said.
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 12:07

How would this feature differ from the existing "hush" feature (longpress of Play/Pause on remote, or use Hijack to map it to the front panel)?

A day dosen't go by without learning something new about hijack!

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 14:55

Not true. Lots of people posted about the "database" messages of various kinds back when the v2 betas were first becoming widespread. The v2 software wanted to add various "missing" tags and whatnot, and I'm not the only person who had to fix a number of such problems by deleting/reloading music to get the player to stop syncing on every reboot.

Cheers

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 15:07

Odd, no one else has had problems downloading music with 2.0.

Re: I GIVE UP. (Volume Cut) - 07/07/2002 16:11

Touche'.