Power adaptor

Posted by: NasalGoat

Power adaptor - 24/08/1999 11:32

I've noticed that the only way to make the unit reset is to pull the power lead from the back - pulling the power cord from the little black box does not cause the unit to reboot. I thought that was strange.

Posted by: mac

Re: Power adaptor - 25/08/1999 07:46

I've noticed that the only way to make the unit reset is to pull the power lead from the back - pulling the power cord from the little black box does not cause the unit to reboot. I thought that was strange.

How long are you leaving it disconnected for? Power supplies contain capacitors that need time to discharge. Even so, I would have thought it would be difficult to unplug it and plug it back in quickly enough for a reset not to occur.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)
Posted by: NasalGoat

Re: Power adaptor - 25/08/1999 08:39

Oh, the power would go down - the LED would stop - and I would wait 5-10 seconds, then plug that plug back in. No reboot.

However, if I pull the plug in the back out and put it back in right away, it reboots. Same if I leave it off for 5-10 seconds.

Posted by: schofiel

Re: Power adaptor - 25/08/1999 09:31

Plugging the mains in, in a switched supply box, will cause a "soft" ramp of DC voltage to the empeg. This might not be abrupt enough to cause an interrupt and start a re-boot.

Posted by: altman

Re: Power adaptor - 25/08/1999 15:09

It's not the rise time of the PSU - there's a dedicated PSU monitor/reset chip in the empeg which monitors the supply rails for +/- 5% and resets the CPU as necessary - but, if the empeg is in standby mode it takes very little current, and I can believe the capacitors in the mains PSU powering it for a while. If you did the same trick with the empeg playing music I doubt you'd be able to replicate the behaviour.

Hugo