Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo

Posted by: tms13

Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 00:38

Maybe this one's deliberate, but it annoys me.

With the new Hula Hoops visual of 2.0b3, the display is blanked during silent periods, as happens frequently during a drum solo. This wasn't a problem in 1.03, where the graphics disappeared anyway, but is annoying on 2.0, where the smoke trails are abruptly extinguished and resurrected.

My demo track is Black Sabbath's "FX", from Vol 4; I can get that to Empeg if you guys can't find a drum solo of your own anywhere.

--
Toby Speight - 040103385
Posted by: Roger

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 03:04

Actually, I kinda like that effect.

-- roger
Posted by: prolux

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 03:07

This is intentional.

Most people like the effect.

Posted by: altman

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 03:10

I love the effect... works brilliantly on lots of tracks, especially ones with quiet starts or isolated drum hits.

Hugo

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 06:14

I would have preferred the trails to just fade away in the normal manner, but it seems I'm in the minority. Never mind.

I think that the reason it's particularly annoying with FX is that it consists of isolated drum beats (quite loud) with lots of echo, so you tend to get a continous 10Hz flicker that's nearly full-screen.

--
Toby Speight - 040103385
Posted by: beaker

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 09:54

I agree with you. I don't like this effect either. I thought it was a little buggette but it seems not. Good to know there's a fellow Sabbath fan on the board though. I've been into them since I was about 8 or 9 after my older brother got the Paranoid album soon after it was released in 1970. Haven't followed them since Ozzy left though, they just aren't Black Sabbath without Ozzy (IMHO) :-(.

Marcus (beaker)
32 gig (various colours)
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 10:42

OK I gotta jump in here and vote to keep the "flickering" nature of the Hula Hoops. A good compromise might be to allow the "select mode" button to not only change the trails, but also maybe toggle this flicker effect for those who don't like it. But I like it the way it is personally.

-Tony
MkII #554
Posted by: jwickis

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 24/10/2001 15:30

I like the effect as well I have to say.
I would like to see however, the Casualty wave to be more prominent. Seems a lttll on the weak side even w/my most dynamic peices of music the wave barely moves. The quiet passages or music with rather low energy doesn't move it at all much.

#695-Mk2/8 colors-12Gig w/Tuner-v2.0b3 awaits Voice Recog.

Black Sabbath (was: Hula-hoops flicker) - 25/10/2001 03:53

In reply to:

Haven't followed them since Ozzy left though, they just aren't Black Sabbath without Ozzy (IMHO)

Me too - with the exception of the Eternal Idol, which I quite like (but I still don't consider it to be the same band!).

Sadly, I didn't get into Sabbath until I was at school in the mid-late 1980s, so I never got the chance to see them when they were good (I did buy a couple of videos, though).

--
Toby Speight - 040103385
Posted by: muzza

Re: Hula-hoops flicker during drum solo - 26/10/2001 15:41

Lets ask shall we?

I personally like it, and the way the trails accellerate with lower frequencies.