Setting Flags on a thousand files

Posted by: dda

Setting Flags on a thousand files - 09/07/2002 01:45

Emplode is not responding anymore when trying to apply a Wendy Flag on a thousand files at a time. Applying fiels on smaller batches (50 at a time) wokrs fine but this doesn't save my time ;-)
Changing Details Informations (like PIN or Year), even on a few thousand files at a time is not a problem.
Is this a known bug ?
DDA
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 09/07/2002 09:20

There is a reported bug (now marked as "fixed" on the internal bug list) where applying Wendy flags via a "Soup" view fails, while doing it via a playlist view works.

I assume that since you're trying to do it on so many files at once, that you're doing it in a Soup view. Is that correct?

It might be interesting to temporarily copy those thousand files to a new playlist, add your Wendys, and synch. Then remove the playlist without deleting the tunes. Does that work?

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 10/07/2002 01:04

My thousand files were the result of a Search on all the songs with year between 1970 and 1979. And I've tryied to apply the flag directly in the result window.
I will try to create a temp playlist with those files and apply the flag on the files in the playlist to see if it is a good workaround.
I'll let you know the results

DDA

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 10/07/2002 09:18

Yeah, I'm guessing that the Search Result window is (from the code's point of view) pretty much the same as one of the Soup views. I'll bet it's the same bug.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 10/07/2002 10:10

Wrong guess. The search result view is actually closer to the playlist view.

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 10/07/2002 10:18

Does that mean you know the cause of the bug? And can fix it?

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 11/07/2002 03:38

Nope, haven't even tried to reproduce it. It's just that the search results are a playlist (FID 0x90, IIRC). They never get persisted to the player as such, though.

I might get time to try it later this week. One question to the OP: do they fail to apply in emplode, or do they fail to apply on the player?

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 11/07/2002 07:34

Emplode is not responding anymore as soon as you press on the OK or Apply button of the Wendy Flag Tab.
I don't even see the switch to a "sand glass" icon. The arrow icon stays as it is.
I have to kill Emplode and none of the files that were selected have a flag set (even after letting Emplode run something like 45 minutes of CPU time)
Emplode Beta 11 on Windows 2000 and also on Windows 98.

DDA

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 11/07/2002 08:31

Confirmed. Definitely takes too long.

Some numerical analysis with varying amounts of data suggests that it's O(n^2).

Right, I've slapped it about a bit, and two lines of code dropped the time for 115 items from 8643ms to 90ms.

However, 4179 items still takes 115095 ms. I'll take a look at that later.

In the meantime, at least you'll get an hourglass.

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 11/07/2002 10:33

You da man, Roger.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Setting Flags on a thousand files - 14/07/2002 20:59

roger that roger!