Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#372907 - 02/07/2020 12:34 Access vs Netbeans vs ???
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
We currently use Quickbooks as our accounting package. Apart from that we have two different products for different parts of the business:

Property management
We have a custome developed MS Access/SQL Server app. UK based programmer, nice guy but he always overcomplicates things making delivery much slower than it should be and GUIs much messier than they need to be. We also have issues with wanting to export reports/views to Excel which unbelievably Access is crap at.

Apparel
We have a system in place that is literally obsolete, it was developed in Magic/Pervasive/SQLServer. I've been dealing with all support for years as the original vendor was useless. I've written loads of reports in SRSS over the years so I understand the data structures. Biggest current issue is that the software will not accept 2020 as a current date so converts to 1920!

Before this app we had a custom app developed in NetBeans which from memory was quite good at exporting to Excel.

The scale of the apparel business is tiny compared to what it used to be (3 staff now vs 46 in 2013) but we still need a fairly well featured and customisable/expandable app as we expect to start expanding again next year.

I'm thinking that a bespoke app is the way forward. I don't really want to go the Access route, I know the NetBeans app was quite good in the end.

If you had to do something like this what platform would you use; Access, NetBeans or something else entirely?

Our environment is 100% Windows Terminal Server.

#372908 - 02/07/2020 15:23 Re: Access vs Netbeans vs ??? [Re: tahir]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: tahir
... Our environment is 100% Windows Terminal Server.
Any desire for mobile apps or mobile access?

iPhone/iPad/whatever?

Or non-Windows (Apple) laptops?

#372909 - 02/07/2020 16:44 Re: Access vs Netbeans vs ??? [Re: tahir]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Not at this stage, it's for desktop use only.