Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281423 - 14/05/2006 13:36 New post/thread indication after BBS upgrade
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
The new post and new thread indiciation seems to have degraded a bit after the recent downtime/upgrade/bugfix.

Unchanged:
The main forum list shows new which forums have new threads.
Clicking on a forum shows which threads have new posts.

Changed:
Clicking on a thread with new posts doesn't show the light blue/gray (default theme) post heading to indicate they are new.

In a forum, clicking to higher page numbers, then back to lower page numbers shows all threads without light blue/gray heading as if they have no new posts. Usually this sequence would update the view to show no new posts in the threads I've opened, but leave the unopened ones indicating new posts. It's as if I went back to the Main Index and reentered the forum (which, hm, may have still shown unread threads... or maybe that reset them, I forget).

#281424 - 15/05/2006 10:54 Re: New post/thread indication after BBS upgrade [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm seeing what you are, except for within posts. I still get the different colored headers.

There's one new thing I've noticed that I like. If I click on a forum with new posts in it, then click on a thread with new posts on it, and then hit the "back" button, the thread is marked as read, leaving the other unread threads still marked. That's pretty neat. Before, if you hit the back button, it understandably showed the previous state of the thread until you refreshed the page, at which point it would mark it as read.

Frankly I'm not sure how it does it the way it does now. The only thing I can think of is that it somehow quickly marks the thread as read after you click on it but before it takes you to it. I don't know...

And now I'm going to try the RSS feeds again, since they never worked for me before...

#281425 - 15/05/2006 23:33 Re: New post/thread indication after BBS upgrade [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
There's one new thing I've noticed that I like. If I click on a forum with new posts in it, then click on a thread with new posts on it, and then hit the "back" button, the thread is marked as read

That's actually the default. But is uses bandwidth. I expect it will revert to the pre-upgrade settings soon as He who controls the BBS notices.

#281426 - 15/05/2006 23:41 Re: New post/thread indication after BBS upgrade [Re: gbeer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If this is a setting in the board software, I'd like to know. I'm either missing it, or this is mostly due to the jump to 6.5.2. I am going to upgrade to 6.5.4 sometime this week and see if that helps with some of the quirks though, like the Instant things below the post box not working.

#281427 - 16/05/2006 00:53 Re: New post/thread indication after BBS upgrade [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Reason I said that was that this happened same same on the last upgrade. To be sure I don't really know if it's a bbs, apache setting, or some special page coding.

I've seen the same on other bbs using this software. Initially the back button provides a refreshed page, then the admin tosses some switch and pages returned to, via the back button, have to be explictly refreshed.

Edit: Whatever the setting, using the links at the top or bottom of the page generally result in a refreshed view of threads.

Edited by gbeer (16/05/2006 00:56)

#281428 - 16/05/2006 02:15 Re: New post/thread indication after BBS upgrade [Re: gbeer]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Go into your My Home and click the link to show all as read. That seems to fix it.