Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#201720 - 01/02/2004 14:22 Line in pass through ?
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Does anyone have info about the adaptor someone made so they could use the line in on the empeg without the empeg in the sled ? They had the plug like on the back of the empeg stuck to a pocket that would fit into the empeg sled.

I just need to know what pins to connect to which and where to get the connector or the part number maybe.

Matt

#201721 - 01/02/2004 15:11 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: msaeger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Look here...

/Michael

#201722 - 01/02/2004 15:18 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: mtempsch]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

DOH!

Matt

#201723 - 01/02/2004 16:02 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: msaeger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
And the docking connector is listed in the General Parts list thread

/Michael

#201724 - 01/02/2004 18:07 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: mtempsch]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Matt, if you feel like making adapters like this and are willing to make extra, send me a PM. Thanks!!!

#201725 - 01/02/2004 18:43 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: pgrzelak]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I'll see how hard of a time I have making one and let you know. I would hate to mess up something and fry some elses empeg.

Matt

#201726 - 02/02/2004 09:01 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: msaeger]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Does anyone have info about the adaptor someone made so they could use the line in on the empeg without the empeg in the sled ?

Here is a pic of the one I made taken by dbrasher at the ohio empeg meet last year. I just took a few more pics detailed pics but unfortunately I don't have the card reader with me for the camera I used. Hopefully I'll be able to post them tomorrow.

#201727 - 02/02/2004 09:09 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: russmeister]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Cool thanks an info would be great.

Matt

#201728 - 02/02/2004 23:59 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: pgrzelak]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Heck, send me a PM, too! I could totally use one of those!

#201729 - 03/02/2004 10:37 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: msaeger]
russmeister
enthusiast

Ok, here are some pics but they aren't that great. Some didn't focus very well (I promise it wasn't user error )

Here's what I did:

I bought one of these for the pocket, although I'm sure just about anything would work. Ideally I would like the pocket to be wider in the back so the connector doesn't hang off the side as mine does but it hasn't caused any problems. I also ordered the female docking connector (the one on the back of the empeg) and the pins from digi-key, which can be found from this thread.

The test connector that I built was built with stranded wire (I can't remember what gauge wire I used so just use your own judgement) and I just looped the pins 2 and 14 to get power to my amp remote and the ignition sense input. I then looped pins 15, 18, and 21; 16, 19, and 22; and 17,20, and 23 so I can have the fronts, rears, aux, and grounds all in a loop to connect them so the sound passes completely through. With this step initially done, I tested my theory by placing just the connector in the sled to see if I would have sound and voila! It worked. Now this was just a test connector...

I then created a second connector using solid wire instead of stranded wire b/c the stranded wire test I did didn't look very good. I decided to actually bend the wires and solder them to each other for the connections and I used electrical tape and careful designing to keep the different channels from touching. Once I finished the soldering, I then tested the connector to make sure it was working properly.

Then I proceeded to mount the connector on the pocket as follows:

I used a spare sled that Meatballman has in his possession and lined up the pocket with the male connector so I could have an accurate measurement of where to cut. After cutting, I placed the connector in place, drilled a hole to mount it, and mounted it. I then used a hot glue gun to sure it up. I also used black paint to cover the glue and get a uniformed look. Insert the pocket while the empeg is not present and you have an auxilary input channel that plays your head unit. I rarely use it but it has been used on a few occassions.

I would be more than happy to produce these for anyone wanting one. I won't be able to start production until March so if you can wait, I'll make some if there is any interest.

The total cost was about $35 for the pocket I actually created although I spent more than that so I could have some spare parts incase anything went wrong. IIRC it took me about 3 hours or so of actual labor due to testing and actually coming up with a design for soldering the pins together.

Let me know if anyone wants one and I'll whip it up for you.

#201730 - 03/02/2004 11:19 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: russmeister]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
this is cool. if you can just cover the visible connector (with some kind of vinly backing), then this thing can double as a cover for times when your empeg is out of the car and act as a deterent for wouldbe thieves. also, it might be nice as an option to have a male headphone jack adapter dangling inside the pocket, for those times when you want to connect your choice portable player. i'm imagining that this jack could be one of those autowinding ones when you press a button to reduce clutter, and all the guts hidden behind that backing. i'd really like to get something like this.

#201731 - 03/02/2004 11:29 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: image]
russmeister
enthusiast

if you can just cover the visible connector (with some kind of vinly backing)

I plan on doing that with the next ones I build. I didn't this time b/c I was in a hurry to get it done as I needed it for a trip. I was taking another vehicle and my empeg with me so I needed to have something for those left behind so they could have some tunes.

it might be nice as an option to have a male headphone jack adapter dangling inside the pocket, for those times when you want to connect your choice portable player

I could do this as well. That seems to be pretty easy as all you would do is splice the wire and attatch it to the auxilary connectors. If you are intersted I'll work one up for you next month.

#201732 - 03/02/2004 12:17 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: russmeister]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
chalk me up. =)

#201733 - 03/02/2004 12:38 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: image]
russmeister
enthusiast

How many people would be interested in the above described empeg pocket?
I would be interested in an empeg pocket depending on the price
I would be interested in an empeg pocket regardless of price
No, I'm not interested in an empeg pocket but it's a neat idea
What makes you think I want to pay you to do something I can do myself?
Wouldn't it be called an empegless pocket?

#201734 - 03/02/2004 14:41 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: russmeister]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I would be interested in one that has the aux connectors on it. This way, on my way to parking my car at the airport, I can have my karma play tunes and leave the empeg at home. That would be awesome.

At this time, I have 3 empegged cars. I like your pocket, but I am too lazy to figure out how to get easy access to the aux connectors on all 3 (possibly a 4th).

#201735 - 03/02/2004 14:47 Re: Line in pass through ? *DELETED* [Re: robricc]
russmeister
enthusiast

Post deleted by Russmeister

#201736 - 03/02/2004 14:48 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: russmeister]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Uhhh, somehow, there's no submit button.

#201737 - 03/02/2004 15:03 Re: Line in pass through ? *DELETED* [Re: russmeister]
russmeister
enthusiast

How many people would be interested in the above described empeg pocket?
I would be interested in an empeg pocket depending on the price
I would be interested in an empeg pocket regardless of price
I would be interested in an empeg pocket with an aux input
No, I'm not interested in an empeg pocket but it's a neat idea
What makes you think I want to pay you to do something I can do myself?
Wouldn't it be called an empegless pocket?

#201738 - 03/02/2004 15:04 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: wfaulk]
russmeister
enthusiast

forgot the pollstop.

Thanks.

#201739 - 03/02/2004 15:53 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: russmeister]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I would rather pay you to make me one than do it myself. I may just want the connector wired up without the pocket I'm not sure yet.

Matt

#201740 - 03/02/2004 16:32 Re: Line in pass through ? [Re: msaeger]
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I would also be interested in just getting the wired connector (with input). I'd probably just want to fabricate my own pocket.